The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How far / long do you commute?

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
My fiancee and I considering relocating about 45 minutes south of where we live now. This will allow her to start her private practice in the same area she went to school and she already has a ton of contacts in the area for referrals, etc. That is the upside.

The major downside is that we currently live about 5 minutes from my office. Part of my plan involves staying at my firm for the next couple of years (possibly longer if I'm offered partnership). If we move, I'd be commuting 45-60 minutes each way everyday. I will probably be able to work from home 1 day a week, but I'll still be logging a lot of miles.

I thought this was a huge inconvenience, but after talking to some friends, it appears many people drive 45 minutes each way to work. That was surprising.

How far do you commute each day?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
I commute one hour each way per day to the city i grew up in. The drive gets
very rough and I use up a lot of gas and miles.

I took the job one year ago with the inclination that I'd be able to work
from home 1-2 days per week which would make it bearable.

I took it b/c I was having a tough time finding good jobs in our city
to feed my family while I worked on my dreams/goals.

If it's short term and your situation turns out better than I think it
wouldn't be so bad, but for us we aren't making enough to make
it worth while.

That's a tough one to answer. I wished everyday that I hadn't taken the job,
but the drive isn't the worst part of it either.

I've commuted a lot growing up between these two towns with school
and living places.

Joe

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I work out of my home 100%, so my only driving each day is to take & pick up the kids to/from school about 5 blocks down. I don't know how you guys commute these days with gas prices the way they are. Aren't more companies looking at allowing folks to work from home, atleast 1-2 days a week?

- Hakrjak

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
Yeah gas kills me esp since it's not tax advantageous as an employee so I get screwed.

I live in Dayton Ohio which is one of the top 10 dying cities according to forbes
and companies are seriously tightening their belts around here and that's according
to many folks I know.

I was told in interviews that working from home was a viable option
but they quickly nixed that for the entire group I'm in except the folks
who've been there 20+ years. Corporatet politics suck.

I'm working on building my stuff part time so that takes time as well.

We are contemplating a move down south as we speak but that has
its own challenges.

Joe

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Get the book, "The 4 hour work week" -- As it has lots of strategies to use for getting your boss to let you work from home.

The best one I suggest is for you to get the program "Gotomypc" and start using it to work from home in your spare time... Then call in sick a couple days and use the program to work from home while you are "sick"... Let your boss see that you are already working from home and doing it well, and that way when you ask him to go to a 4 day work week or let you start working from home 1 day a week, it won't be such a stretch.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
I currently commute 33 miles each way, or about 50 minutes. It is rough and definitely sucks (especially after a long day in the office, when you get in your car and realize you are still a looooong way from your couch, haha). It also dosent help that I commute on the same highway almost EVERYONE in North jersey takes everyday, 80 East in the mornings and 80 West in the afternoons, so the drive is WITH heavy traffic both ways as everyone fights to get into NYC.

However, I did read recently that the "Average" commute time for someone in NJ is one hour each way, so I guess Im not the minority, lol.

What I wouldnt give to work from home or have a 5-minute commute....Ahhhhhhhhhh :)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I never measured it. From the bedroom to the living room ~50 feet.:coolgleamA:

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I never measured it. From the bedroom to the living room ~50 feet.:coolgleamA:

1 more nice thing about working from home -- No extra clothing costs, and no need to shower / get dressed 1st thing in the morning. You can wait until you have a break or whatever. Lets you have more time to sleep in! :)

- Hakrjak

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
1 more nice thing about working from home -- No extra clothing costs, and no need to shower / get dressed 1st thing in the morning. You can wait until you have a break or whatever. Lets you have more time to sleep in! :)

- Hakrjak

Yeah, the traffic can be a problem in the morning when everyone is trying to get ready at the same time in the bathrooms and hall. The solution is to stay in bed until everyone is going.:smxF:

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
I've tried personally to get footing on working from home. They're basic
response is to find a new job.

I guess I'm not offering enough value to keep.

Anyhow, that is that. I don't want the job anyhow so I use
the commute time to do productive things like think, listen
to tapes, etc...

I also have worked it out at least to work a straight 8 hour day
going in at 7 and leaving at 3 thereby nto running into traffic
and not wasting an hour for lunch.

But that's 10+ hours a day I'm working or doing anything for work.

Working on making changes, but if I was paid say 6 figures a year
it would at least make things a bit easier, but what trade offs would
I have to give.

Joe

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
12 miles one way. Although, I can work from home 2-3 days/week, I usually only work from home about 2-3 times/month for personal reasons. I also am "lucky" in the sense that my work environment is flexible, meaning I can come and go as I please without too much hassle and avoid the rush hour traffic.

hakrjak - I think we are in the same line of work, judging by some posts you made in the past.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Could be man -- My company has a huge datacenter out by RoundRock, TX that I was visiting last year. Do you happen to work there? :)

Live there, but work in Austin.

Hmmmmm .... Can only think of one such company in Round Rock. :smxB:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My daily commute has been to my dream (nightmare) rehab home project which is about 15 minutes.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
For the past 9 months, I've been commuting about 35 miles (50 minutes) to my client across town. Fortunately, over the summer, they've started letting us all work from home (for the past 3 months) so that's been VERY nice.

New gig starts next week, however, which means I'll be flying to Houston and back every week. So 300 miles? Better than the contract in Seattle (1700 as the crow flies).

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Most Days: From Bed to Garden Outside
About once a week: 4 miles to a property
About once a month: 400 miles - give or take to a different property
Occasionally.... All over the vast state of MT in search of deals.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Like ATW, it depends.

30 sec Most days (bedroom to office).

2-3 min Some days, (office to B&B across the street).

1-2 min Each day, once or twice, walking across propty to check on contractors/answer site questions.

Occasionally we drive 1-2 hrs to pick up or look at something. But we try to do most via internet ordering and drop shipping.

-Russ H.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
15min each way on a two-lane highway through the Teton valley. My commute is truly relaxing.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
My last contract gig was
a 4 hour daily commute via public transport
(bus, subway).

I read two books at least a day.
I also got back in touch
with the average person.
I overheard a zillion cellphone conversations,
saw what advertising got people's attention,
etc. etc.
It was wonderful.

A 2 hour commute in my city is nothing.
Get yourself some audio books
(those are terrific).
Consider it study time.

cmartin371

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 14, 2008
Nashua, NH
I cover the states of NH and ME with my job. My office is a half hour commute, but I have 50+ stores. So depending where I need to be, it can run half an hour to 5 hours one way.

jokerGN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 1, 2008
Long Island, NY
The JOB i just recently left was a 23 mile commute each way.... But leaving on Long Island and driving to brooklyn that 23 miles took from 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 each way, to add insult to injury my car likes to tell you what your average mph is... its enough to drive anyone insane. My new company I'm starting up in NYC, to avoid the commute this time around I'm going to be relocating into the city so I don't waste 4 hours everyday.

PablitoCroft

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
May 15, 2008
Niagara Falls, Canada
I generally spend about 3.5 hrs a day (more if the traffic is bad) driving to and from work. I have been doing this for 3 years now. It's about 100kms each way door to door. While I don't complain about the drive, personally I see this as a complete wate of time. I can't take a subway or train due to the lack of direct service available. It's not so much the drive but more the fact that I could be using the time to actually accomplish something of value. I can spend some time emailing on the Crackberry, but then there is only so much you can do there.
I have however ALOT of other things starting, so with some hard work and alittle luck, I'll be out of the cattle run soon enough and into the fastlane (or at least a carpool lane to start lol).:fastlane:

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Depending on where the project is 5-15 minutes, with a fair amount of running around during the day. To do everything from look at potential deals, P&Z stuff, and Home Depot runs.

Diesel is expensive, but my car gets good mileage, and I can write it off at 50 cents a mile this year!:icon_super:

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I live in a suburban area outside of New York City and there's a main road called taconic south that gets all the commuter workers that live here to the city. In order to get on that highway you have to take this one lane, main road that coincidentally is the same road I take to get to school. It takes me about 30 minutes to travel five miles if I wake up early.

Happy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Aug 16, 2008
St. Louis, MO - USA
I drive 72 miles a day round trip and am lucky(?) enough to be able to take different routes to break up the boredom. I currently work four 10 hour days. With traffic it is about 2 hours out of my day. I agree audio books help.

The best gig I ever had (Working for someone else) was three 12.5 hour days.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.