The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you hate your long commute to the day job?

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Me too! Few things are more mind-numbing than sitting in traffic for 30-60 minutes...Each way. That is time that we will never get back, and is a criminal waste of the most precious resource that we have.

Reading this forum I saw someone mention "Automobile University":

“Automobile University†- listening to motivational or instructional tapes while driving in your car to and from work.

So I tried it out. And let me tell you - my commute is no longer a pain. If I told my co-workers that I look forward to sitting an hour in traffic they would think I'm crazy - but I do. Sometimes I even park my car at home and listen for additional 10-20 minutes until the podcast or audio book I'm listening to is over.

Zig Ziglar coined the term:
[video=youtube;S1XZOXMXmAA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1XZOXMXmAA[/video]
Notice the number of hours he mentions that people waste commuting - mind blowing.

Some resources that I used - all on my smart phone:

- Stanford's Entrepreneurship Corner: Podcasts

- Audio books on any topic - just upload them on my phone.
- Google interesting person's name ("MJ DeMarco") + ("podcast/audio interview") - great thing about audio is that the file size is tiny so even with 3G internet on the freeway it's possible to listen to them without any delays. 99% podcasts on the internet are also free.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I used to listen to audiobooks when I was driving around cleaning gutters. That is a thing of the past now though.

Make use of that time.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Couldn't agree more that you should use your car as a rolling university!

I own and run a business and at times it can involve a good bit of driving. For those times I have a plethora of listening material. Zig Ziglar being my favorite. But also Napoleon Hill, Jim Rohn, as well as other stories, cds, conferences that I find helpful. Trust me it'll help you keep going even when the day doesn't seem to be going the way you planned, it's something I recommend and have available for all my employees as well. They may not want to think as big as I do but I want them to think none the less.

Given you always need some ear bubble gum from time to time, so get Sirus radio! Perfect to catch up on news and get pumped up when I'm tired of listening to talk.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
I hate the long walk everyday from my bed to my computer...

I drive quite a bit anyways because I love to drive, I listen to podcasts frequently and have heard MJ's book at least 3 times from just the cd's replaying because I wanted to soak up knowledge.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
Yea great advice when I used to listen a little bit to Brian Tracy then he also mentioned it several times to listen to it while driving a car etc.

Elliot Hulse also recommends listening to the same audio books several times since it gets deeper put into your subconscious mind.
[video=youtube;UOeXjLkTQmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOeXjLkTQmg[/video]

mags

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 18, 2011
I think this presents a very important principle I've learned a few years back.

That is to "use your idle time wisely."

from commuting to personal breaks, to vacations, to hanging out there are a lot of productive things that can be done. You just have to know how to use it wisely.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.