The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you deal with boredom from running same business for a (relatively) long time?

mercenariez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 20, 2019
Hi, I am currently running an e-commerce business which is ramen-profitable but the boredom related to monotonous tasks has started to get to me (been running it for about 2 years now). I no longer really have interest in the product/future projects, but it has potential and I obviously need it for sustenance.

Any advice on how you’ve made your daily grind (bookkeeping, repetitive manual labour, emails, etc.) a bit more interesting? I also can’t afford to delegate some of these tasks right now (and with some, the teaching of it would be a pain), so that’s not 100% an option.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
You say you can't delegate, but that's the solution.

At least start documenting the things you do, all the main steps, so you can identify some that can be delegated or automated without using up all your money.

If the business isn't making enough to delegate the easiest and most repetitive tasks, you should try raising some products' prices until there is enough money to allow you to delegate.

If you can't raise prices without a customer exodus, you're working on pure price competition, and that's pretty tough. If that's the case, add excitement to your life by making products that are different enough from everyone else's that people will pay more for them, then delegate some things.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
We all go through down times. I've been at this current business 10 years. Maybe 5 or 6 times I thought to walk. Each time I sat down and asked myself if I was really committed to it. I looked at other options. Other businesses. Other jobs even. I kept recommitting to this. I kept in mind that the grass is always greener, but the more level headed party of me recommitted. (Until the summit I had a many years long longing to get back into e-commerce).

Anyhoo, ask yourself if this still suits you. If you can't afford to scale now, when will you? If the answer is maybe in five years, consider that this may not be the right business model.

I mentioned e-commerce. I relate to your story because I had a similar experience when running my e-commerce store. It was an excellent side hustle, but was never going to be my main business income... No matter how much I wanted it to be. I eventually let it die to focus on my current biz. That was the right move for me.

If you think you are in the right place and growth is around the corner, then it sounds like you need to power through. I know many businesses that didn't "make it"right away, but who's persistence paid off.

Maybe that's your story.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I also can’t afford to delegate some of these tasks right now (and with some, the teaching of it would be a pain), so that’s not 100% an option.

Sounds like the business is not growing or doesn't have growth potential. I would probably sell it if I were you and start another one that excites you.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
By enjoying the freedom and money that comes with it

fearo

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 7, 2019
Hi,

Might be a stretch but hear me out.

Consider RPA (Robotics Process Automation) to automate the mundane tasks.

Could take a little time to set up but with Uipath you can use community edition so no licensing costs unless you want to grow. If the task is a repeatable step then it's the only way to go. Bots will take the painful repeatable tasks and let you concentrate on the value add. Avoid getting complex so go for low hanging fruit. Find yourself a techie to sort it. Once it runs it just repeats so you save the cost of subcontracting the work.

P

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.