The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you become a creative, out-of-the-box thinker?

Anything related to matters of the mind

monish shanmugam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 2, 2023
While reading the stories of great people like Steve Jobs, Isaac Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, Bill Gates and even MJ DeMarco, I concluded that these people have had immense creativity and thinking capacity that many people lack. And because of these skills, these people brought so much change into the world and made amazing innovations. I wish I had the mental strengths these people have.

If I observe myself, I think in a very robotic, mechanical, slow way. I can't see things from different perspectives, I don't get interesting ideas inside my mind. I also want to improve my problem-solving and decision-making skills. For example, while playing chess with friends, I take a lot of time to make a move. So I lose many chess matches because of timeout. In TMF, MJ says that entrepreneurship means finding solutions for existing problems that people face and monetizing them. I want to become a problem solver as well.

How can I improve my creativity, problem-solving, decision making and thinking skills ? What are your suggestions and tips?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
While reading the stories of great people like Steve Jobs, Isaac Newton, Leonardo Da Vinci, Bill Gates and even MJ DeMarco, I concluded that these people have had immense creativity and thinking capacity that many people lack. And because of these skills, these people brought so much change into the world and made amazing innovations. I wish I had the mental strengths these people have.

If I observe myself, I think in a very robotic, mechanical, slow way. I can't see things from different perspectives, I don't get interesting ideas inside my mind. I also want to improve my problem-solving and decision-making skills. For example, while playing chess with friends, I take a lot of time to make a move. So I lose many chess matches because of timeout. In TMF, MJ says that entrepreneurship means finding solutions for existing problems that people face and monetizing them. I want to become a problem solver as well.

How can I improve my creativity, problem-solving, decision making and thinking skills ? What are your suggestions and tips?
Not a full answer but an easy place to start: do you have a job? If so, what do the customers complain about? What could the company do differently to make the customers happier? What don't you like about the job? What could the company do better to get the best from their employees?

Dont know about Bill Gates, but the others on your list were artists more than anything imo. Trying to imitate their success is putting the cart before the horse.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Ask yourself why you currently are unable to think/act like these people you look up to. Really why, not "just because."

Why do you take so long to make a chess move? Are you analyzing every possible outcome? Are you letting fear of making a mistake take over? What do you need from yourself to make a move faster? Maybe start by increasing your self awareness? Recognize when you're doing something you want to change and start to make a change, take a chance.

My personal example. I tend to be a wallflower in social situations, I'm an introvert. I wanted to be more like my outgoing friends who can make conversation with anyone. It has taken a while, but I have trained myself to take note of what people enjoy or seem proud of, to give genuine compliments, to ask more questions. Another example. When I started my journey here at this forum I felt it was going to be impossible to find a problem to solve. Constantly, every single day, I would be asking myself "how could this be better? What in my life right now is cumbersome? What pain points have I overcome? What are people around me complaining about? Wouldn't it be great if...?" It took me a few months, but then my 'problem' became seeing too many problems and not knowing what to pursue.

I truly believe most people are born with enough creativity to make meaningful impact in this world. Unfortunately, most things in society don't encourage us to use it. So it lies dormant. But it's there. It's just like any other muscle in your body. You must learn how to exercise it, and you must exercise it regularly.

Last edited:

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Relative value, brotha. A Value Array.

And First Principles, one that Elon Musk also promotes of course.

Source: a hardcore inventor.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
For example, while playing chess with friends, I take a lot of time to make a move. So I lose many chess matches because of timeout.
Fear. Either of failure or the anxiety of "placing yourself out there."

It's ultimately why a lot of the people that come here inevitably return to jobs.

Being rejected 10,000 times isn't scary. Do you know what is?

Spending your entire life pretending to be happy while you slowly rot away from the inside out until you finally experience the sweet release of death. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to fake happiness.

Start taking action. Pay attention to the problems that are consistently brought up by various people. Recognize the pattern, then figure out if it's a problem you can solve.

The only way to get over the fear/anxiety is to actively place yourself in situations that push your boundaries. Start with Chess. Force yourself to make moves before you time out.

"Timing out" isn't an excuse to avoid taking action. In the case of life, "timing out" is akin to you dying. Do you really want to die before you make any moves?

Cheers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.