The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I stop fantasizing ?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
You know that feeling when you find some new ideas then start fantasizing about how much more money you're going to make, and end up getting little to no work done ?

That's where I am right now. (actually, it's probably been a week)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
I don't think that fantasizing about what your life will be like when you're rich is a bad thing. It creates motivation in you to go out and work hard. However, all things must be done in moderation and you have to know when it's time to give yourself a kick in the butt and start working. No one else can do this for you.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Well, I think the fantasizing part is great for finding profitable ideas - it just isn't great for when I need to implement them.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Well, I think the fantasizing part is great for finding profitable ideas - it just isn't great for when I need to implement them.

What helps me is thinking that someone else out there in the world is working on the same idea and that if I don't work quickly they will become successful before me, hence making it more difficult for my business to stand out. It might not be true, but it's good motivation for getting to work.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
That's where I am right now. (actually, it's probably been a week)

I had this problem too, I would have ideas and all I would think about is how much I would make and what I would do with that money.

The solution:

Take action, turn those ideas into a tangible asset.

I would always look at it this way. "Ok I spent a week/month fantasizing, if I actually put my idea into action, where would I be now? How different would my life be right now?"

Fear of the unknown would usually hold me back..then I started going by this motto., "I have one life, what do I have to lose, I can only learn from my mistakes and successes."

Get used to the feeling of taking action, then it becomes second nature.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Dreaming certainly has its place in the process for success, but eventually you have to wake up from that dream and go get it.

Here's what I do to hold myself accountable...Every night before I go to bed, I write on my pad of Post-Its all of the tasks that I want to get done the next day. This sets up your mind to be action oriented as soon as you wake up in the morning. It's vital that I write down the list the night before because life can sometimes get so busy that we end up reacting to all of the noise instead of taking care of our pre-meditated goals.

If I don't complete all of the goals for the day, I put the post-it on my computer monitor to continually remind me to get it done. It actually feels good throwing those post-its away after completing the tasks lol

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
If I feel this way I ask myself, how old will I be in a year if I don't take action? or If I do? I'll be a year older regardless so I might as well do something! Time is precious. Ask some old people for advice and a reference. They'll give you a good kick to get going!

D

DeletedUser394

Option 1:

Go to a car dealership.

Stand 5 feet away from your dream car.

Picture yourself driving it.

Then snap out of it, and realize that you're a long way from having it.

If that doesn't piss you off, nothing will.

Option 2:

Find a minimum wage job.

Realize you hate being treated like garbage while at this job.

Realize you don't want to do this for the rest of your life.

Do something about it.

--------

But seriously. How do you stop fantasizing? "Just don't do it." -bateati

One of the few things that we truly possess 99.99% control of, are our thoughts.

Spend less time on the internet. Cut your posting in half. Do something. Once you see results, you won't have this problem again.

---------

In the last 7 days, I've met my father for the first time, made 30 new friends (in person), signed up to a cashflow club (first game night is tomorrow), ran 25km, read 2 books, and landed a gig in a movie.

How did I do this? Less talk, more action.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
This is a good thread. Sometimes it's ok to fantasize. In some cases when I can't do something else I do think about where I want to be and envision myself there. Usually I do this when I can't be out doing something. For example, on my way to bed, sitting in the bath (yes I still take baths).. etc.

What makes it easier to just go do something is to create more time. I know a lot of people who say they wish they had more time. Just like people say they wish they had more money. But the problem is they are abusing time and they are abusing money.

Sit in front of the TV in the evening for 3 hours watching shows is abusing time. Every once in a while is fine. But I can't count high enough the amount of people who retire to the living room after dinner for an evening of TV watching. I have personally eased myself out of TV watching. I do have a family and believe in family time so I resort to movies and watch them when it is convenient for all of us. But I no longer make my way to the living room after dinner. I find myself doing more and getting more accomplished in my life.

Now this has a lot to do with fantasizing because you could easily sit there at night and think about how successful you could be. It isn't easy giving up TV. When I did it I thought I was missing out on good stuff. But it's like dieting and eating good food. At first you crave the chocolate cake and brownies and pies but you soon learn that a nice salad tastes just as good.

So just like people should cut back on wasteful spending, we should all work at cutting back on wasteful use of time. I am not saying you can't just do nothing but people do nothing a lot of the time and still complain they have no time. Makes no sense.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Write it down.

Write your goal/dream.

Start working backwards from there. How much money will it take you to get there?

What profit/number of units/customers you need to hit those numbers?

Go find the first paying customer.

Around The World has a great thread about goal reaching and planning that is very related to it.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Write it down.

Write your goal/dream.

Start working backwards from there. How much money will it take you to get there?

What profit/number of units/customers you need to hit those numbers?

Go find the first paying customer.

Around The World has a great thread about goal reaching and planning that is very related to it.

Great Advice.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Well, it's hard. I know what you are going through. I used to fantasize, too. I still do to some degree. Running the numbers in google. Predicting how much I'm going to make.

While goal setting and writing done goals and all that jazz, works for some people, to me it seems pointless. What has worked for me is that I had to admit that I had a problem, that I'm a "dreamer", and not as productive as none dreamers. That I'm thinking too much about the "money" and the end results.

Right now, I get going by admiting that I'm "special", and by that, I use that to my advantage.

I imagine myself as a hardworking person that works long days on a farm, in nineteenth century Sweden. One day out of the blue somebody came to me with a computer, told me all about it, and said that you could earn your living, by creating web pages. Then, he gives the computer to me, and I get to test drive it for a while.

And here I am, "test driving the computer" - And if I can make a living off the Internet, then I can quit working at the farm for the rest of my life(Like a majority of people in the nineteenth century) , I can work smart with my computer, instead of waking up early and milking the cows. :smxF:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess you could say, I fight my imagination, with my imagination. I also pretend that I'm more productive than what I am as a person.

This method has worked for me lately. It might sound silly to some people.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Have a friend toss you the keys to his LP640 Murcielago, take it for a test drive, and see if that isn't like having rocket fuel lit under your a$$.

ir_dizzle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
May 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
I dream A LOT. I seriously thought I had a mental issue. I could never stop daydreaming! I have a background in finance/ accounting and my job requires me to be concerned about hard facts but deep down inside I'm always concerned about the "what ifs".

I have been miserable for years and recently researched other careers that would best suit my natural strengths. I took a personality test called the MBTI (there are a lot of free personality tests on the web; one good site that has one for free is MyType - Discover Your Personality Type), read a good career book titled, "Do What You Are - Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type" and found out my personality type is an INFP.

I found out in the book and other research on-line that accounting/ finance is the worst type of job for my personality type! But let me get to the point finally - I also found out that my personality type LOVES TO DAYDREAM! After all these years of thinking something was wrong with me by always daydreaming - I finally found out that it's part of who I am and now rather than thinking I'm a weirdo, I now know it's perfectly normal (for my personality type). I used to think this daydreaming issue was a curse, but now I know it's a gift; it's time to monetize it somehow...

I have always dreamed of starting my own business and now I know I will always think about it until I make it happen. I will do WHATEVER it takes!

I don't think there is anything wrong with dreaming, but like another poster said it means nothing if you don't take the next step and make something happen. Good luck with your dreams - make it happen!

Hokoleskwa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
May 25, 2011
Denver
Fantasizing was one of the things that actually led me to the Fastlane. Every time I'd see a picture of a $5m mansion, $200k sports car, or some celebrity yachting in Miami, I'd get sick to my stomach because my pre-ordained career plan wouldn't get me such things.

Make those fantasies work for you. I recently lost 60 pounds, and every time I wanted to stop exercising or gorge on cookies, I revisited my fantasy of being ogled by the opposite sex, fitting into a 32 waist again, and going to the beach without feeling self concious. It would give me a sudden burst of energy that powered me through the struggle. I'm now applying the same technique to my pursuit of wealth, but the fantasy is of being free to live how I please and spend time with people I love.

Danny G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 10, 2011
Bulgaria
I believe everybody dream! its in our nature. Well some dream more then others but that's pretty much on the type of person who you are! How to stop it? I think you cant stop it but you can control it! Just be master to your thoughts, dont let them own you, you HAVE to own them!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.