The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I pick the major where I will be most successful?

Mido

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 29, 2017
EGYPT
What:
1. Know my talent.
2. Know my interest.
3. Know my character.
4. Match the above 3 points with the majors.
5. Pick the major with the best economics (Eg: highest salary, highest job growth, best for entrepreneurship etc.)

How:
1. Do a talent assessment test.
2. Do an interest assessment test.
3. Do a test.
4. Do it using google.
5. Research on the internet.

Why:
Being in this ideal major increases my chances of success in the fastlane.

My question:
Do you have any advice/input for me? Anything I am missing? Anything I can add?

Edit: Thank you for the replies. Yes, my parents are paying for my bachelors and Masters as well. Please keep in mind that I do not live in the U.S so college is way cheaper. I took one year of computer engineering but didn't enjoy it too much.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Hi Mido, welcome aboard buddy.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you haven't had a chance to read MJ's books...yet. He has some very specific thoughts on this that I'm sure will help you make a more informed decision. What do you love? I couldn't imagine paying dozens of thousands of dollars to sit in a classroom trying to force myself to learn something I'm not fascinated by. Maybe a better question could be "which education path will give me the skills to help the most people and ideally matches my personality and interests?" Forcing yourself to go to university to just learn how to money could be considered by some to be barking up the wrong tree.

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
To quote a few people on this forum "don't chase money" you wont win

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I just read an article that said something like 51% of students regret the field of study they chose.
The statistics varied between fields of study with the least amount of students regretting their major if they majored in a STEM field.

I wish I had discovered TFM while in school. I had tons of free time and it would have been a perfect time to start a business if I had known better but hindsight is always 20/20

I'm actually not against college, I'm against the outrageous cost and the fact that it is part of the 'script' to be successful but that's a different topic.

If you are going to go to college (and have figured out a way to go without taking out a loan for 45K) then major in something useful for your fastlane businesses. The common ones are any STEM majors, economics, business, entrepreneurship (if your college offers it), heck even psych or sociology would help with sales for the future

I majored in Business and than got my MBA. Very scripted path but I didn't get into a ton of debt and I liked school so it was the right path for me. Everyone is different and there is no 'one way' to do fastlane sucessfully.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
I know some may disagree with the value of it, but I'm a fan of a classical education (based on the Great Books of Western Civilization) and think that learning critical thinking, logic, and rhetoric are always valuable. Here is some info and a cheap way to educate yourself. There's no reason not to learn to think critically, which is the absolute number one skill you need to not be a lemming. A true liberal arts education is one that teaches you to think, it's truth based and not like, say, Oberlin College, which is a sham as far as true liberal arts go. :duh:

Podcast: The Benefits of a Classical Education | The Art of Manliness

How to Give Yourself a Superior College Education for Virtually Free

Combine these cheap resources with a basic business education you can get here on TMF and in MJ's books and other good business books (The Slight Edge, The Law of Success, etc) , and bam, you have all the education anyone needs. Unless of course, you want to be a brain surgeon, in which case I don't recommend only online and books for your education. :cool:

If you want to get a job at some hoity toity firm on Wall Street, thinking that will help with entrepreneurship, then you probably do need to go to a top tier school and get and MBA as well, which will then cause you to work to pay all those loans back and what is the point of getting an education to get a job to pay for the education?

Anyway, it's up to you, but not knowing anything about you, if your parents are willing to pay for your schooling, etc, it's what think really the most one-size-fits-all thing I can think of.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.