The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do i learn how to code?

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Hey guys, my first post here. Just finish the book and it has definitely changed my life. I have great tech ideas but no programming skills. I don't want to outsource, this knowledge is important to me. So whats the best way to learn how to code to create websites? Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Drop me a line with your knowledge about computers, web technology etc. and I'll help you getting in the "right" direction.
I'm 20yrs old, i've been using computers since i was 12-13. I know most of the basics like the back of my hand (I think). My main progroblem is i dont know how to create websites, which is my goal.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Google coding for beginners , watch youtube videos, look for local classes/college's specializing in beginners.
Once you get your feet in the door its up to you which direction you want to take but i believe its better to know what your talking about even if it is just grasping the basics.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
my 12 year old nephew is coding. These kids are going to eat us alive.

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
the hard thing is knowing what tolearn. you will definitely need html/css/javascript. After that, php, ruby, python are all decent choices for web backends. you can do backends these days with something called nodejs that lets you code it in javascript, so really the first 3 are all you have to know. learn design as well.

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014
My favourite resource is definitely YouTube. Things like Codecademy are good too - they're much more interactive than books, and you can get them for free.
Try 'Derek Banas' - you'll either love him or you'll hate him, but he has videos on most languages. His videos can be a little overwhelming if you're first starting out, though.
Good luck!

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
My favourite resource is definitely YouTube. Things like Codecademy are good too - they're much more interactive than books, and you can get them for free.
Try 'Derek Banas' - you'll either love him or you'll hate him, but he has videos on most languages. His videos can be a little overwhelming if you're first starting out, though.
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, cheers!

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
the hard thing is knowing what tolearn. you will definitely need html/css/javascript. After that, php, ruby, python are all decent choices for web backends. you can do backends these days with something called nodejs that lets you code it in javascript, so really the first 3 are all you have to know. learn design as well.
Thanks for the tips bud, cheers.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Google coding for beginners , watch youtube videos, look for local classes/college's specializing in beginners.
Once you get your feet in the door its up to you which direction you want to take but i believe its better to know what your talking about even if it is just grasping the basics.
Any YouTube channels you recommend?

Robert R

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Jan 23, 2014
Try TheNewBoston.org he has videos teaching most languages, as well as a few other topics that you may interest you (outside of coding).

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Any YouTube channels you recommend?
Sorry Iv not properly looked into this. However in the next 6 weeks im going to be doing the same as yourself.
When I do begin to learn i will PM you any info, tutorials or videos that I find helpful.

zion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 29, 2013
if you want to go beyond basic websites and you come up with a business idea that would require to write real rich internet applications you should take a look at angularjs, it's simple, fun, awesome (if you gained some basic understanding). for your backend code you should take a look at "nobackend" solutions like firebase (you basically outsource your backend in the cloud). if you want to port your javascript applications to mobile devices, take a look at phonegap. for css stuff you should take a look at bootstrap !!! ok, no more hints :)

Last edited:

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Learn the basics, think of a project that will solve a need even if one already exists. Then start designing and programming as if it's a real project.

You can learn all you want but experience is the king. With your first project you'll find out what you'll need to learn which will be basic information that's aren't thought in school.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Hey @JahvonCreamCone ,

I am 20 y/o as well and even after seeing many people on the forum oppose learning to code, I still want to learn haha. Why inhibit curiosity and the desire to learn, right?

All the resources I am going to share are free to use. There are three that I found, which I like.

#1 - Dash by General Assembly

https://dash.generalassemb.ly/

This is where I am going to start. I tried the other websites (that I'll mention later) before but this seems much better because you are actually working towards creating while learning. It teaches HTML, CSS and Javascript which is apparently the basic / beginner stuff that you need to learn first anyways. If you want to move on there are other resources I will link that teach more than that.

Check out the screen shot I just took of the dashboard after logging in. Look at the first three projects. Pretty useful stuff right? You learn while doing!

Dash_Screen_Shot.png

Then there is also...

#2 http://www.codecademy.com/

and

#3 http://code.org/

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.