The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do i learn how to code?

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I agree that full price (at least for the current course I'm taking) would not be worthwhile, but with access to basic tutorials for $15...that's quite a steal. I would personally love a better instructor, slicker and more streamlined learning experience (perhaps a free version exists?) but I don't mind the bog standard version for the bog standard price, so long as the content is still relevant and useful.

Yea it is hard to complain for $15. The HTML/CSS courses were a good refresher. I do regret the time I put into the "Become a developer from scratch" course. That guy is just a bad teacher IMO. Unprepared, some parts just didnt even make sense because of how hes teaching. Not much explanation for why things are done in certain ways. That course may set you off on the wrong foot.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Christian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 10, 2013
Hey guys, my first post here. Just finish the book and it has definitely changed my life. I have great tech ideas but no programming skills. I don't want to outsource, this knowledge is important to me. So whats the best way to learn how to code to create websites? Thanks in advance.

Hello,
My first post here too!

Go to WWW.CODE.ORG -- lol please take note that I know absolutely nothing about coding but there was a cool video and I'm pretty sure Bill Gates has a big thing to do with this site (among others).

Hope it helps!
Christian

Andur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 4, 2014
San Francisco
I do regret the time I put into the "Become a developer from scratch" course. That guy is just a bad teacher IMO. Unprepared, some parts just didnt even make sense because of how hes teaching. Not much explanation for why things are done in certain ways.

I agree with you there. He's a pretty shitty, uninspiring teacher. Every time he says "Run it in Chrome" I want to punch the computer screen :punch:

Saying that, it covers a ton and though education and tutorials have come a long way since my high school days, I can at least grin and bear it for now. I have zero knowledge in coding so I'm at least learning albeit in a less inspiring way. I just keep thinking of that $15....

Zulu

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Mar 14, 2013
Kingston - DC - Everywhere in Between
Hey, when I wanted to start I found codecademy pretty easy to use. Just curious, why do you want to learn code?

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Figured id give my two cents since im currently learning...

The poster above me mentioned the deal Udemy had where you basically named your own price and got a number of tutorials. I paid $15 for the package.

My tip would be to not pay for any of these training sites. This is just speaking from my experience. The Udemy courses in that package are just not very good. I cant believe the prices they charge for them regularly. Id feel ripped off to pay $200 for one of them.

Ive found that the free resources are more than enough to learn what you need to know. Youtube is a good resource. It depends on how you learn best. CodeAcademy or w3schools.com may be good for you. I prefer learning through video tutorials. Start with HTML/CSS/HTML5. You'll need that base. And really thats the easiest stuff to learn.

Stackoverflow is a good place to ask question if you get stuck on something during a project.

Also, Dont get stuck in the learning phase. Because theres a ton to learn with coding. And really you will always have to learn new things. I've found sitting here learning code for hours a day isnt really all that productive. I think the better way to go about it is to just learn as you go. After you figure out how you can bring value to people, then you can start to think about how to get it done and how to design the site functions. From there you find out what you need to focus on to get the job done, Java...Ruby...HTML etc.. Learn as you form your site. Ask questions at forums when you get stuck.

You will need a text editor too. Ive been using Sublime Text 3 and find it to be pretty good so far. Many seem to like it. Notepad++ is another free option.
Thanks for the great advice, this will def be helpful.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Hey, when I wanted to start I found codecademy pretty easy to use. Just curious, why do you want to learn code?
My goal is to have several internet businesses in the future. That being said, i would seriously be limiting myself if i did't at least know the basics. If I learn enough to handle things on my own, I wont have to have little things be fixed by programmers. Say something on my website becomes buggy. I can just fix it on the spot.

I've been hearing good things about codeacademy, thank you.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
coding. overrated. in the 6-18 months it will take you to learn to code. I can launch several businesses that do more than a million a month.
Where do you want to focus?
Z

Hmmm. Something to think about, but it seems like the answer comes quickly either way.

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
Drop me a line with your knowledge about computers, web technology etc. and I'll help you getting in the "right" direction.
How long do u think does it take fir google's dart to mature? I don't wane learn rails or php

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
http://programming-motherfcker.com/become.html

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
Drop me a line with your knowledge about computers, web technology etc. and I'll help you getting in the "right" direction.

I know get-apt

Stumble upon meteorjs

Understand little html,css very basic and learning JavaScript via codecademy but still feel very lost too much to swallow and afraid i might need to get a 4 year computer science degree for proper guidance and curriculum

What's your recommendation?

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
Stick with it. MeteorJS is gonna be massive. It took me a year of grinding to really say I actually know what I'm doing. I also accelerated my growth by taking a 9 week coding bootcamp (F*ck university).

Your vision will evolve with your skill. Do the fundamentals first. Meteor might still be overwhelming without a strong grasp of the basics.

I don't get it why do we need meteor when we have firebase + angularjs? Now support reactjs

Care to clarify if you understand backend?

G

Guest34764

I've been learning from codeacademy.It's pretty solid with my only complaint that the Java course is pretty small,but i think that's due to it being a new course.If you want to learn Java i'd recommend something like codeschool or really anything else.I'm just about to start coding my first lil app on android :D My only problem is not having a real grasp on java yet.Though Javascript helps a bit when i compare the two.You know a website is easy if a kid can follow it.If you're under 21 like someone said,LEARN IT.All the young folk like me should learn even a little bit of it.

nordien1978

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 5, 2013
Hello Jahvon,

There are many languages you can learn for website building that are useful.

www.w3schools.com has tutorials in all kind of languages for Free.
www.udemy.com

But the basics are handy to know like HTML and CSS for static website design.
With PHP or Python and other languages you can make the website more interactive and dynamic with potential users.

Programming is all about poking the system to see what your code does and trying from different angles :)
And if your stack there are websites like www.stackoverflow.com where people place there issues on the forum.

Hope this helped you a little bit in your search in web development :)

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
I'd recommend Code Academy, it's a good place to start. To expand a little, there are lots of resources on learning how to code, you don't need to pay anything to learn the basics, or in fact anything. You can find free courses on Coursera and MIT Open Courseware that teach both the technical and the theoretical. If you would like to pay, I'd recommend a site like Pluraldight or Lynda - sites that offer access to training videos. Also, get an account on Git Hub.

I think I need to write a "So you want to learn to code" post.

looking forward to that - by a pro in the field for many years (fundamental doesn't change does it?)

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Yes meteor is really awesome too! So much is getting handled for you :D

The issue I have with Meteor is the same issue I have with Angular - it's all or nothing. Trying to go outside the framework is a pain. Although, before learning ANY JS framework, people need to know Javascript itself.

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
@Alan LT @sija1 @Omega

Java is a dead language. It's stagnated over the years and ever since Oracle bought out Sun, they have done little to improve it. In fact, there are some nasty rumors they are trying to kill the language. There are exactly 2 times I'd recommend you learn Java. The first is Android development, which I know is what @Omega is doing. The second is when you're trying to get a (slowlane) job. Although in that case, I'd probably recommend you use C#. MIcrosoft has some incredibly skilled and intelligent language designers working for them, and Visual Studio is one of the best IDEs out there (Eclipse's glory days are over).

If people want to know what languages I'd recommend, they would by Python, Clojure, Elixir, C#, F#, and Ruby. (Javascript/HTML/CSS is assumed by default).
I'm learning it for android development. I'll surely look into the languages you listed; I'm already good with the defaults.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
The issue I have with Meteor is the same issue I have with Angular - it's all or nothing. Trying to go outside the framework is a pain. Although, before learning ANY JS framework, people need to know Javascript itself.

I would disagree with this.

Comparing Meteor to Angular is apples to oranges.

One is a fullstack solution with everything out of the box, the other is only a front-end solution.

Since the former is fullstack, one can swap out the default templating mechanism (Blaze) and sub-in Angular or React. Learning Angular or React has applications across any sort of backend (PHP, Ruby, Python, etc), since they are just front-end solutions.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I would disagree with this.

Comparing Meteor to Angular is apples to oranges.

One is a fullstack solution with everything out of the box, the other is only a front-end solution.

Since the former is fullstack, one can swap out the default templating mechanism (Blaze) and sub-in Angular or React. Learning Angular or React has applications across any sort of backend (PHP, Ruby, Python, etc), since they are just front-end solutions.

Fair enough.

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
I paid $300 for code that would have taken me 80+ hours of learning, reading, then trial and error testing to get right because it was a new concept to me.

Look at the time to reward scale on that. Because this person has 20+ years of experience they finished it in 11.5 hours.

This is actually a bigger reason to outsource. With the rise of good coders the job pool grows smaller. This is why code is so cheap now days.

Learn the very basics, then learn how to manage projects. It will be much more useful as an Entrepreneur. When you grow it will no longer be just you coding. (How I started.)

Look at it as being the architect instead of the builder. OR being both, which will end up draining you, trust me.

EDIT:

Also, to add more scale to my $300 cost, I sold the end product for $3,800.
@sija1 this is what I was talking about... You "polish" your product afterwards instead of doing everything from the ground up.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
It's dead from the perspective that many software related startups choose not to use it. Square is built entirely in Ruby. Twitter started in Ruby, and migrated to Scala. Facebook is PHP. Instagram uses Python. It has a large install base in corporations, so learning it is a good idea in that it will help you find a job when you need one.

I'll agree learning core computer science notions is an excellent idea (my degree is in CS). I do believe that if someone wants to excel as a programmer, that information is invaluable.

Then we understand each other perfectly.

@SenGracic Still you need to know how to code to polish it. You can't polish what you don't understand.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
There are tons of resources out there..Codea Academy, W3Schools and my favorite so far...http://www.freecodecamp.com - Its a very long course, its actually more of a class. You learn the MEAN Stack...Mongo DB, Ember.JS, Angualr.JS, and Node.JS - As well as basic HTML/CSS/Bootstrap.

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
I would personally start at other. Get the business plan sorted and from this sketch out the minimum viable product you need to test the ideal - which I guess is some sort of website with various functionality. It is quite likely that there is a CMS such as Wordpress (in conjunction with associated widget and plugins) that could get you up and running in a reasonable time and minimal cost. If initial feedback is positive then you decide where to invest your time and money- if no then you haven't wasted a great deal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.