The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I do accounting/bookkeeping for my business?

ryanmcblade

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2019
I'm looking to get a business started. My main issue is that I have no clue what I need to do for the accounting/bookkeeping for my business. I have no clue where to look, what documents I need, nothing. If anyone can point me to the right resources on how to do accounting/bookkeeping for my business I'd appreciate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

aeden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Feb 28, 2020
Melbourne, FL
I'm looking to get a business started. My main issue is that I have no clue what I need to do for the accounting/bookkeeping for my business. I have no clue where to look, what documents I need, nothing. If anyone can point me to the right resources on how to do accounting/bookkeeping for my business I'd appreciate it.

Not sure if you've already set up your business in your locality - if not you may need to do that first or in parallel to your initial setup of your accounting.

Options for bookkeeping/accounting:

- Hire a CPA (local, or otherwise) to advise you on the initial setup and handle your bookkeeping and tax filing.
- Use Online Bookkeeping Services for Your Small Business | Bench Accounting for the bookkeeping part and get a CPA for tax season.

Bench also happens to have a nice article on basics of bookkeeping: Bookkeeping Basics: A How-To Guide for Small Business Owners | Bench Accounting

Finally, you could opt for the YOLO mode and solve peoples problems first and deal with bookkeeping/accounting options after you've made some sales, however I advise against this (having done it the first time I set up a business ;) ).

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I use QuickBooks online. I've used Wave in the past, but it was a bit glitchy for me. QuickBooks online is pretty cheap and works well.

mikemiller

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 19, 2019
Hi,
You can try using software if you want to maintain accounting all by your own!

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
How far are you with your business?

I don't think you need an accountant to get your first sales. I didn't have one until I was about a year in. If you pay a salary/VAT then you'll probably need help. At least that's how it is here in Estonia. That's my experience only.

You can send invoices and do all the other stuff yourself first.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Start your business first. Figure out accounting later. Until you make sales it's mostly you spending money out of pocket on stuff. You don't need accounting to buy a Big Mac or a video game. No point in spending time or money on software, accountants, or courses until you have something to account for.

Last edited:

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
No, we can't, because you haven't specified what sort of business entity you're doing accounting/bookkeeping for, and what country/state you're based in. The laws and regulations are different in different parts of the world. For example, for a limited liability country in many parts of Europe you're not even allowed to do your own accounting... you must hire an accountant.

So we need more information to help you.

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
Follow these steps to do accounting for your business;
  • Open a bank account.
  • Track your expenses.
  • Develop a bookkeeping system.
  • Set up a payroll system.
  • Examine import tax.
  • Learn how you'll get paid.
  • Set sales tax procedures.
  • Manage your tax obligations
  • Calculate gross margins
  • Periodically re-evaluate your methods

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Keep it simple at the start. I used a spreadsheet with income and expenses at first.

My tax accountant helped me to tweak it a bit. He appreciated the simplicity.

I began using quickbooks as it got more complex.

It really helped to learn the process by using a spreadsheet for a while.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Not sure if you've already set up your business in your locality - if not you may need to do that first or in parallel to your initial setup of your accounting.

Options for bookkeeping/accounting:

- Hire a CPA (local, or otherwise) to advise you on the initial setup and handle your bookkeeping and tax filing.
- Use Online Bookkeeping Services for Your Small Business | Bench Accounting for the bookkeeping part and get a CPA for tax season.

Bench also happens to have a nice article on basics of bookkeeping: Bookkeeping Basics: A How-To Guide for Small Business Owners | Bench Accounting

Finally, you could opt for the YOLO mode and solve peoples problems first and deal with bookkeeping/accounting options after you've made some sales, however I advise against this (having done it the first time I set up a business ;) ).
As someone who started a business with virtually nothing in sales at first (as I'm sure many here can relate to),
I opted for the YOLO method.

First year I didn't have any taxes to report because I was still getting everything set up. This year I will.

But honestly, a better business would be one with high revenue the very first year...like a service business.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
this entirely depends on the type of business. It might be one with vendors, tons of contractors, complex systems, etc. Maybe you just need to track sales and a couple of expenses for an online shop. What's your business? You may have to do a ton of work. Maybe very little.

Tanu1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 4, 2018

Hi,
First, I want to congratulate you on starting a business.
You need to take the following steps:
  1. Create a folder - preferably cloud based for your books/accounts.
  2. Save all your expense / receipts / invoices / agreements in separate folder.
  3. Create a month-wise folder.
  4. Get a subscription to cloud-based software - QB, Xero, Wave are great.
  5. Use the software to send the invoices to clients.
  6. Do weekly / monthly bookkeeping ( or hire someone to do that for you).
  7. Review the financial statement - income statement and balance sheet every month.
  8. Create a budget for your business and compare it with actual performance.
  9. Contact local CPA for taxes.
  10. Know the due date of taxes by visit gov website.
  11. Only register your business with a sales tax regime if it is applicable to your business. There is a certain threshold to get registration of sales tax.
( I have published a post on a similar topic here )

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.