The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I start learning selling(and learning sale) online?

Marketing, social media, advertising

jorabejor55

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 3, 2020
Lisbon
Hey!
Im 18yo and currently studying Computer Science in college. I like programming, I'm pretty good at it but I dont like the lifestyle behind it. Basically, a "good" programmer/software developer shouldnt have a life unless he's a genius. He needs to be always studying and researching new technologies. And new technologies are always out. I mean I like it, but I can't see myself at a desk, programming and then going home,programming some more. That's not the life I want!

I'd like to start learning sales and how to sell. I've always heard the best way to learn is by doing. So, how can I start practicing it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
I'd like to start learning sales and how to sell. I've always heard the best way to learn is by doing. So, how can I start practicing it?
Short answer is work for a company that will give you proper sales training.
It's a science and an art.
Get paid to learn.
Big reputable companies invest in their sales force because it drives growth.

If you've got natural talent & training you'll go far; talent without training, you might get there eventually; no talent but trained, that's most sales people.
I've interviewed many, it's an ocean of mediocrity out there.

awsamro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
May 28, 2019
Hey!
Im 18yo and currently studying Computer Science in college. I like programming, I'm pretty good at it but I dont like the lifestyle behind it. Basically, a "good" programmer/software developer shouldnt have a life unless he's a genius. He needs to be always studying and researching new technologies. And new technologies are always out. I mean I like it, but I can't see myself at a desk, programming and then going home,programming some more. That's not the life I want!

Buy a sales training program (My favorite is Mastering Influence by Tony Robbins), then work in a job that is either completely sales or allows you to sell... For example when I was in University I also wanted to learn selling and I worked in Chapters (book store in Canada). I asked them to put me on the cash and I focused on selling Chapters Rewards card (which costs $20). There are many jobs that give you the opportunity to learn sales. Pick a job where you have to sell something you like. I've been in professional sales all my life now and I can tell you it's a really good skill to learn. It will influence everything in your life. Good luck :)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Look up some affiliate programs or contact smaller business's. They will pay you a commission if you get a sale. It's all on you to drive traffic whether it be through facebook, instagram or youtube/website.

I think it would be the ''easiest'' way to get started, you don't have the hassle of dealing with the product itself, just the selling/marketing part.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scalr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 3, 2019
Palo Alto, CA
If you want to start your own thing right away, start selling yourself.
Create an Upwork profile and see if you can get leads for whatever skill you can sell.

To get started with that, you can find excellent, free information in this forum. A start would be @Lex DeVille's Upwork thread: NOTABLE! - Lex DeVille's 2019 Step-By-Step Upwork Tutorial for Brokeass Bootstrap Beginners Who Need Cash Now!

Another way, join a small company/startup where people wear many hats. I have seen engineers pivot to sales / through sales support. In bigger companies that transition is harder. Roles are more separated.

We are a smaller B2B company. I know which engineers we can have in customer calls. Not just support calls. We have them join when we pitch or present the product and there is a tech heavy crowd in the room.

You will hear prospects questions and how sales people respond. You can be involved in creating the pitch, in the debrief where sales people discuss notes, signals & things to follow up on.
This helped me a ton and I learned a lot about B2B/enterprise sales. It doesn't work in all companies but generally sales engineers in small companies should be more involved. Learn from the best sales and marketing people until you pivot completely or start your own thing.

What is the faster way? Definitely the one where you start on your own. You will feel more uncomfortable. You will make mistakes. You will have no company cushion. And you will be the main person in a sales conversation.

You will be on a much steeper learning curve and you will progress faster. And while in college, that's what I would do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.