The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How “The Millionaire Fastlane” made me turn down a once in a lifetime offer and start my own journey

Benacles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
May 20, 2018
France
Hello there

Nice to meet you! I’m Benoît, a French father of two in his mid-thirties.

Can you tell us why you’re here?

I need to confess something: I never do forums. I’ve always considered them a complete waste of time. Indeed, it usually never takes more than three messages to see any interesting thread turn into a noisy conversation between dumb trolls or, worse, a ridiculous penis contest.

Yet, this forum is different. From the “About” page to the gold threads, through the always respectful exchange of views, I’ve been sincerely impressed by the overall quality of this place. And I want to thank you all for being a part of it!

So why am I here? To share with and learn from other like-minded people, people who are focused toward finding their own path, relentlessly pursuing their freedom, and making other people’s lives better.

Ok, you’ve made us feel great about ourselves. But will you finally tell us your story?

Well, since you’re asking for it… My path wasn’t exactly straightforward: I have studied different fields (science, art, education, philosophy), worked as a draughtsman for an architect firm, been a 3D modeler and texture artist for an international design & consultancy firm, and ended up in the web and mobile app business.

I’m a pure self-taught man, for better or worse. In the latest company I’ve worked for, this led me from joining as a web designer to becoming CEO of the mobile app branch, through learning how to code, how to manage people and even how to do a bit of accounting.

Fast forward a few years and I have a stable situation, an interesting job, an acceptable salary and the complete trust of my boss who wants me to partner with him and run the company. Pretty cool, hum?

But, deep down, something felt wrong...

Irrational dissatisfaction

At that time, and although I couldn’t describe precisely what was amiss, I was unsatisfied with my situation. Whatever was triggering it, the discontent was real, deep, and it was growing stronger every day. I was seeing no greatness in what our clients were asking for (no “real value” as I would call it today) and I was working way too much. I needed “more”. Not more money, prestige or projects; I needed more purpose and I needed more time: with my kids, my wife, my friends, my passions, and even myself. But how dare I? I had a good situation and nothing much to complain about.

Still, no amount of rationalization could silence the feeling that something was really off and that my life was escaping me.

Then, one day, after working yet another weekend for more than 40-hours straight while barely seeing my kids and my wife, it hit me: this was never going to get any better! The path suddenly became obvious: work hard, live small, forget about your dreams and passions, come back after your 65th birthday to collect your pension and, at last, enjoy your life to the fullest. But how many drops of life would I have left after 40 years of this insanity?

The moment I realized that was a painful epiphany: I couldn’t take it any longer. I felt imprisoned, powerless, without any clue, but armed with the determination to change this matter of fact.

I started searching about other ways of living and stumbled upon the “4-hour work week”. While this book is not kept in much esteem around here, it really helped opening my mind. I started to implement some of the actionable ideas and it helped reducing my workload. Of course, I was just making the prison cell more comfortable.

Then, I searched deeper and finally found “The millionaire fastlane ” (“Unscripted ” followed a bit later). I just couldn’t put the book down. Everything clicked, resonated with me and invigorated me with a clear direction (roadmap anyone?). I had regularly thought about creating my own company, but the will wasn’t strong enough and the idea was dismissed out of fear.

MJ’s books reconnected me with my inner fire, in a very powerful manner. Yes, there is a way of living free; it requires patience, dedication, hard work and resolution but it exists. Yes, it is ok to fail; how would we learn and adjust otherwise? Yes, we don’t need the next incredible idea; a good idea well executed can be more than enough. This alone was incredibly liberating as it took away all the pressure I was feeling about not starting anything before finding the idea.

@MJ DeMarco: allow me to pause here and thank you for what you’ve shared and continue sharing with us! You’re humbling and yet humble; you don’t want to lead anyone yet you’re inspiring people and changing lives; you have my utmost respect.

A new dawn

Three months ago, just a few weeks after finishing “The millionaire fastlane ”, I turned down the opportunity to associate with my boss, left my job, created my own one-man company and started to work as a freelancer. I wanted to jump into entrepreneurship as soon as possible, to get my hands dirty, and to determine if I really had the guts for it.

There were two immediate results : an incredible number of completely new obstacles to overcome, and a quick raise in net income. Both were and are enjoyable. The extra money is saved in order to fund my real project. The challenges are seen as what they are: the barriers that set entrepreneurs apart.

A lot of people around me are terrified by my decision to leave the old path behind. The most self-aware tend to admit that it is nothing more than a projection of their own fears. Where my entourage sees “stability”, I see “stifled dreams”; where they see “risk”, I see “opportunity”; where they see “difficulty”, I see “a privileged way to learn”. Today, I know exactly what I want: liberty. The liberty to live the life I dream of, meaningful and free from “the script”.

The road to liberty

What’s next? Of course this was just a small step. I’m still doing what I’ve been doing for the past few years, except on my own terms. This is good, but still pretty far from the freedom I am aspiring to.

There is no confusion in my mind: I’ve just created my own job and this is not my destination. I want to bring value to people around me and create something significant. I am currently working on two haunting ideas in order to determine which one will receive my undivided attention during the next months/years.

I feel powerful, in control and confident. Rest assured that I have my own share of doubts though: old bits of scripted thinking sometimes run through my mind. “Are my ideas good enough?” “Am I really up for the big game?” “I don’t have the right connections.” “What are going to be the consequences for my family?” But there is just no going back; the clarity shatters every doubt.

Thank you for your time and interest if you’ve read this far. I certainly hope to see you around!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
You are a great writer, and full of passion.

I can only add one comment I heard long ago, but it is so powerful that it steers my thinking and actions.

Here it is:

"It is not the things you do in life that you regret, but the things you didn't do."

I think you have no choice but to do what you did. And I don't think you'll regret it. You and I are people that can't live with the thought of "what if." For the ones with fire in their belly, that is too much to bear.

Thank you for such an intense and interesting post!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the sharing the great intro. Awesome to have you be here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Benacles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
May 20, 2018
France
Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

@Real Deal Denver: I've read your posts one more than one occasion and what strikes me the most is that you're always pertinent, encouraging and full of wisdom. Thanks for proving it again!

The quotation you shared is, indeed, very powerful. I've added it to my list of motivational thoughts.

My own mantra is pretty close to yours. It is simple and is taken from “The Millionaire Fastlane ” - it's one of its subheadings. “Doing nothing is expected.” In this section, MJ was describing the way marketers rely on planned obsolescence and the fact that people would generally do absolutely nothing with the information they consume. This really rang a bell for me and the four-words sentence perfectly summarized, in my opinion, the "secret" behind a fulfilled life: taking action.

@RichieKastl: Thanks for your kind words! I wish you the best of luck with your own venture. Do not tame that beast if you feel it growling inside of you; this is what's going to help you break the chains.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Do not tame that beast if you feel it growling inside of you; this is what's going to help you break the chains.

I go YEARS between truly inspiring quotes to live by. THANK YOU for THIS!!!

I can use this right now! My wife thinks I should "tame down" because I am too driven. In her eyes, I am stressed and unhappy. I've told her that my energy is not "confined" to one small area, and I cannot turn it on and off at any given moment. I also told her I "need" this level to do what I do, and I am NOT stressed or unhappy.

This quote sums up my message PERFECTLY!

Read it AGAIN - and each time I do, I get shivers. MAGNIFICENT!!!

PS - thank you for the kind words - it is my honor to be of help to you! In doing that, I find that my struggles to learn and grow have not been in vain.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...