The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Home Gym ??

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Hey all....Any recommendations for a home gym ?

I've been weight training many years at the gym. I'm thinking it may be months, if ever, that I go back. I've been doing bodyweight exercises and that's cool, but I REALLY miss the resistance training. My Wife and I are in a 2 bedroom apartment, 2nd fl. What WAS going to be an extra room to rent on Airbnb is now still empty after 2 months.

I really don't want to lug a thousand pounds of weights to the 2nd fl when we'll probably only stay in this apartment another 6 months. I've been researching and I am familiar with some brands but now there's nowhere to go try them out.

Suggestions ?

Thanks !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
How much room do you wish to devote to your home gym? If I had room, I would very likely upgrade to a squat rack. But I don't, so I have to get a little creative.

I live in an apartment and have little space - so I've created my home gym with:
  • Adjustable dumbbells (up to 52.5lbs ea)
  • Resistance bands with handles, door hanger, and ankle straps (10,20,30,40,50 lbs bands)
  • Cheap adjustable bench (Decline, Flat, Incline, Straight settings)
  • Stability Ball
  • 2x 10lbs Medicine balls
  • Ab roller
  • Pullup bar
  • Yoga mat
  • Foam Roller

I'm on my ~4th week of an exercise program I've created for myself, using one or a combination of the above-listed equipment.

I first created a list of all exercises that I used to do at the gym and then tried to recreate as many exercises as possible that mimicked my gym workouts using some or a combination of the above equipment. I now have an "exercise bank" for Push, Pull, and Legs.

I then create different workouts from the exercise bank, and I have a solid routine now. I'm happy to share my exercise bank with you, so you can pick and create your own workouts.

P.S. the exercises that say "SOON" require a bench which I didn't have at the time I created this spreadsheet.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
How much room do you wish to devote to your home gym? If I had room, I would very likely upgrade to a squat rack. But I don't, so I have to get a little creative.

I live in an apartment and have little space - so I've created my home gym with:
  • Adjustable dumbbells (up to 52.5lbs ea)
  • Resistance bands with handles, door hanger, and ankle straps (10,20,30,40,50 lbs bands)
  • Cheap adjustable bench (Decline, Flat, Incline, Straight settings)
  • Stability Ball
  • 2x 10lbs Medicine balls
  • Ab roller
  • Pullup bar
  • Yoga mat
  • Foam Roller

I'm on my ~4th week of an exercise program I've created for myself, using one or a combination of the above-listed equipment.

I first created a list of all exercises that I used to do at the gym and then tried to recreate as many exercises as possible that mimicked my gym workouts using some or a combination of the above equipment. I now have an "exercise bank" for Push, Pull, and Legs.

I then create different workouts from the exercise bank, and I have a solid routine now. I'm happy to share my exercise bank with you, so you can pick and create your own workouts.

P.S. the exercises that say "SOON" require a bench which I didn't have at the time I created this spreadsheet.

View attachment 32732
View attachment 32733
View attachment 32734
Only thing I would add that we started to use at work is gymnastics rings. These whooped our butt until all of the stabilizer muscles caught up. Dips, pull-ups, pushups, horz. Pulls

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@AceVentures ... thanks man. Many great ideas. I've been working out so long, I never write anything down but I can see how this would be helpful. I have an empty 13' x 16' room so I've got some space.

I started looking at gyms like the Bowflex but damn, they're pricey ! I'm thinking adjustable DB, a flat/incline bench, and I can try some bands. There are areas outside I could train with the bands (I'm in AZ).

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
@AceVentures ... thanks man. Many great ideas. I've been working out so long, I never write anything down but I can see how this would be helpful. I have an empty 13' x 16' room so I've got some space.

I started looking at gyms like the Bowflex but damn, they're pricey ! I'm thinking adjustable DB, a flat/incline bench, and I can try some bands. There are areas outside I could train with the bands (I'm in AZ).

Anytime. Squat rack would give you the power to do real bodybuilding. The whole 9 yards. But in an apartment, the db+band combo works really well.

Few weeks in with the bands. Game changer in a lot of ways. If you haven't used them before, which I hadn't, you're in for a kick! They're so fun! Being able to change band intensity, positioning, and even how you adjust your body, there are hundreds of ways to workout.

Mhinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jul 23, 2019
Kentucky
I have a set of PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells and would highly recommend them. 5-90 lbs each and add weight in 2.5 lb increments.

I also own several pieces of Titan Fitness equipment and really like it as well. Relatively cheap and very well built.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I have a set of PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells and would highly recommend them. 5-90 lbs each and add weight in 2.5 lb increments.

I also own several pieces of Titan Fitness equipment and really like it as well. Relatively cheap and very well built.
Outstanding ! I'll look them up today. Thanks !

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I've been weight training many years at the gym. I'm thinking it may be months, if ever, that I go back. I've been doing bodyweight exercises and that's cool, but I REALLY miss the resistance training. My Wife and I are in a 2 bedroom apartment, 2nd fl. What WAS going to be an extra room to rent on Airbnb is now still empty after 2 months.

I really don't want to lug a thousand pounds of weights to the 2nd fl when we'll probably only stay in this apartment another 6 months. I've been researching and I am familiar with some brands but now there's nowhere to go try them out.

Suggestions ?

Thanks !

Great thread, I am wanting to round out a home gym one of my garage stalls.

For dragging something upstairs, a Bowflex is has simulated resistance so no heavy plates to drag upstairs... I know they kind of suck... But it solves that problem.

What do you guys think about this for the garage? Good brand? Sucks? Bad deal? Good?

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Great thread, I am wanting to round out a home gym one of my garage stalls.

For dragging something upstairs, a Bowflex is has simulated resistance so no heavy plates to drag upstairs... I know they kind of suck... But it solves that problem.

What do you guys think about this for the garage? Good brand? Sucks? Bad deal? Good?

Depends how much you want to spend?

The one you linked doesn't have many safety features, I personally wouldn't get it.

What brand of weights you have is irrelevant in my opinion.

No Matter what brand you get they will last you forever.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
In an apartment here also I use portable squat stands and started with 300lb olympic barbell set. I obviously never drop weights, every lift is controlled up and down. I use pillows as a "cushion" to help reduce noise under deadlifts never had any complaints in the 8-10yrs of workouts etc.. Can also add a bench as well, I just found it easier to use the stands and floor press for benching. I follow 5/3/1 strength routine so is just squat, deadlift, bench and overhead press.

image_0387b7d1-7a02-4ffa-9772-b11e2b8fea27_400x.png

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019

I don't have a rack of my own, so I can't really talk from experience, but I've seen racks on the order of $500. If I were doing it for my garage, I would consider these folding racks which seem really practical. With stability as the goal, you'd want as few moving parts as possible, but depending on how well the hinges lock in place, it might prove to be a good option. The brand, Rogue, is also a notable one in this space.

There's also this place here in Houston that carries good gym equipment.

consignia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jul 19, 2019
Honestly having a home gym this quarantine saved my life. Seeing so many people go crazy these days I think working out does wonders at keeping people sane

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
In an apartment here also I use portable squat stands and started with 300lb olympic barbell set. I obviously never drop weights, every lift is controlled up and down. I use pillows as a "cushion" to help reduce noise under deadlifts never had any complaints in the 8-10yrs of workouts etc.. Can also add a bench as well, I just found it easier to use the stands and floor press for benching. I follow 5/3/1 strength routine so is just squat, deadlift, bench and overhead press.

image_0387b7d1-7a02-4ffa-9772-b11e2b8fea27_400x.png

I bought these exact stands (I'm sure they're just white labeled, I see dozens selling them on amazon), How much weight have you had on them? The description said 440 - 500lbs.

Just curious, they seem really sturdy for what they are, cheap stands.

r0dgie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 1, 2020
England
I have worked out at home for around 20 years, except for a handful of excursions into commercial gyms over the years. The kettlebell has been a staple in mine for about 18 years. I only had a single kettlebell for the majority of that time - a 24 kg which cost some in the region of £200 at the time - probably around $400! But averaged out over its time of ownership, the cost becomes almost irrelevant, especially compared to a gym membership. The costs are also much less now, even with the recent hike in prices due to C0VlD-19.

Storing the kettlebell takes minimal space. Training with it takes minimal space. Cardiovascular and strength can be developed.

Kettlebell swings are my preferred exercise as they are great for developing the muscles we generally neglect in sitting down in front of a screen. The kettlebell does not do everything, but a lot can be achieved.

For context, I have been active my adult life with time served in the military, a black belt in judo, and the ability to lug my kids bikes once they can't be bothered to cycle anymore. I think the kettlebell swing has been a big part of maintaining my overall health.

But to simplify, any exercise is better than none. And exercise can be done with zero equipment. Band are good. Dumbells are good. The barbell is good. Look into second hand stuff and see what is available.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois

Suggestions ?

Thanks !

Well I don't think you need to lug thousands of pounds up stairs. If you want to do resistance training, there really is no workaround for having to use heavy weights. But the stands pictured below weigh around 30-40lbs each. And you probably only need like 3-400lbs worth of plates, plus a 45lb barbell.

In an apartment it would be pretty foolish to have any sort of permanent set up, so thats why I like those moveable stands.

Weight equipment is interesting, because even crude weights work the same as top of the line weights. Weight is weight. Quality is another factor, but again Iron is iron, and unless you're in an olympic competition, you don't need to have perfectly calibrated weights. A set of bare iron plates will get the job done.

Keep an eye out for things on FB market, craigslist and any other marketplace apps. Like I said, Iron is iron, and plates/bars will last indefinitely especially good quality bars which wont bend.

Same thing with a squat rack and most other equipment. We're dealing with iron here, and as long as the rack isn't obviously rusted and structurally compromised, you'll be good.

Right now there is obviously a spike in demand/price, because everybody, including you and I, Is trying to get their hands on fitness equipment.

I have a crude set up right now ( small 1 inch 5ft barbell, about 300lbs of pig iron weights, mismatched from my dad and some i bought on craigslist, and a cheap bench and stands that I bought off of amazon), But it does the same job as the nice olympic barbell and bumper plates at the gym I go to.

I would suggest you try and build a home gym, it's great. I'm seriously considering not going back to a public gym, at least not within the next 3-6 months depending on how things look. I'm not scared of the virus, but I hate waiting especially at the gym, and it sounds like gyms will be operating much under full capacity. In the meantime, my setup is fine.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I bought these exact stands (I'm sure they're just white labeled, I see dozens selling them on amazon), How much weight have you had on them? The description said 440 - 500lbs.

Just curious, they seem really sturdy for what they are, cheap stands.

Have to be careful saying have the "exact" same stands. I remember when I was looking at power racks and these kind of stands, that there was a lot of made in China stuff that looked good yet the reviews pointed out how flimsy they were.

The actual stands I have are like the picture below. Can see there are differences, with the "safety arms" and the base.

ss1-pro-shot.jpg

Even the ones in your pic are different from the pic i posted earlier, in that can see the bracing at the bottom is bolted on and the ones in the other pic are welded. It's really hard to tell the quality unless can read reviews or see in person.

I haven't had anywhere near 400-500lb! Have had 280lb loaded with the arms extended and concern about the equipment didn't even cross my mind.

The other nice thing about working out at home, is don't need to wear as much clothing! So less laundry to do! Becomes kind of funny to think about workout clothing is worn to get immediately rank then washed. Not to mention the time aspect, just the travel time and getting ready at the gym and packing up time can be as long or longer than the whole workout at home.

The market is definitely inflated right now, so hopefully that means when gyms reopen people should be selling there stuff in a year or so! The going rate for weights was $1/lb for as long as i can remember as a reference.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019

Lord, bless these gains we are about to receive... Finally got my squat rack!

JordanAvery

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 24, 2020
Miami
An Ab roller, a yoga mat, resistance bands, weights, and a spin bike, that's all that fits in my small apartment. I would like a treadmill for some 12/3/30, but I don't have enough place for that. Maybe I'll get rid of the spin bike and get the treadmill instead because I can't fit both in a two-room apartment. It's is enough to reach my fitness goals, and I and my partner, are pretty satisfied with what we have. We used to have a personal trainer for both before all this craziness in the world, so I hope everything comes back to normal, and we go back to our old routine.

Last edited:

Bonetrousle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 11, 2016
Dip bars, dip belt, pullup bar, a bench, landmine, bands, and cheap 1" barbell with 100lbs of weights. I've been lifting for years with this simple setup. The key is being creative, modifying leverage to make exercises more difficult, and doing unilateral work to get more out of less weight.
Some examples: Zercher lunges, pushups, weighted dips, weighted pullups, bodyweight rows, Z-press or landmine press, front/rear delt raises, nordic hamstring curls.
If the weights ever get too easy, you could increase volume, slow down the reps and/or modify the leverages to make it harder. For instance, on the bodyweight row, a simple way to make it harder is to elevate one or both of your feet.
Or for the weighted pullup, if you ever stall you could switch over to weighted chinups or extra wide grip.
Of course the ideal setup would be to have a full power rack, but if you want to save space and reuse that room for other purposes, the above setup can be milked for years and years.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Highly, highly recommend Ironmasters for anyone looking for adjustable dumbbells. They are pricey but the rolls-royce of adjustable dumbbells, stability of ring locks but with a quick change mechanism. I find powerblocks shakey (and a bit awkward). The ironmasters go up to 120 lbs per dumbbell (with the extension set) and they are rock solid. Regular set is 75 lbs per dumbbell. Their bench is very nice as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.