The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hobbies of high and low income individuals

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
I was lurking through some hobbies to find some product ideas (solving a problem) and found this statistic here:

4172438B00000578-4608044-image-a-23_1497547423551.jpg

I think it is a intresting topic and it would be cool if you guys post here your hobbies and thoughts about this, i think hobbies are important even you are fully commited to your fastlane business also some hobbies can really lead you to fastlane opportunities and we could check if the statistic is even near to reality.... I think Television is no surprise here but playing music?

or do you think hobbies are a complete waste of time and people should be more commited to their Fastlane business...

Iam into Fitness, Biking, Kitesurfing and Music ( not all at once!)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I was lurking through some hobbies to find some product ideas (solving a problem) and found this statistic here:

4172438B00000578-4608044-image-a-23_1497547423551.jpg

I think it is a intresting topic and it would be cool if you guys post here your hobbies and thoughts about this, i think hobbies are important even you are fully commited to your fastlane business also some hobbies can really lead you to fastlane opportunities and we could check if the statistic is even near to reality.... I think Television is no surprise here but playing music?

or do you think hobbies are a complete waste of time and people should be more commited to their Fastlane business...

Iam into Fitness, Biking, Kitesurfing and Music ( not all at once!)

You're looking at this chart the wrong way.

You're interpreting this chart as the relationship between hobbies and entrepreneurship.

What this chart is actually proposing is a relationship between hobbies and socioeconomic status.

So the people in the highest income bracket are not all entrepreneurs spending all their time on business. They could be people with well paying jobs, such as investment bankers, stock brokers, engineers, lawyers, doctors, etc. etc. Many of them go to work, but they just make a lot more money than other people who do the same thing.

It's no secret that people of higher and lower socioeconomic status have different tastes, attitudes, activities etc. etc., but that really has nothing to do with entrepreneurship.

But other than that, does it really matter? Are you going to stop playing music because of what some statistics say?

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
My drug of choice has been boating and sports cars. I can drive for hours and hours going no where at all if the car is compelling enough.

Lately I started learning to fly since I want to airport hop around and maybe do the $100 Hamburger thing. $100 hamburger - Wikipedia for reference. In any case I need to get between my home and San Diego faster.

Outside of that I honestly do a lot of fishing off my boats, reading an awful lot of books. God I love reading. Work out nearly daily (always 1 single rest day.) I travel for good food though. Is that a hobby?

I love Disney and Japan so I am often doing things around those 2 topics. Not sure that is a hobby or just a passion. I confuse those a lot anymore.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
You're looking at this chart the wrong way.

You're interpreting this chart as the relationship between hobbies and entrepreneurship.

What this chart is actually proposing is a relationship between hobbies and socioeconomic status.

So the people in the highest income bracket are not all entrepreneurs spending all their time on business. They could be people with well paying jobs, such as investment bankers, stock brokers, engineers, lawyers, doctors, etc. etc. Many of them go to work, but they just make a lot more money than other people who do the same thing.

It's no secret that people of higher and lower socioeconomic status have different tastes, attitudes, activities etc. etc., but that really has nothing to do with entrepreneurship.

But other than that, does it really matter? Are you going to stop playing music because of what some statistics say?

i didnt make any statement, just showed a statistic and wanted to make an informative thread about hobbies and how it could maybe correlate to business... look what @Aaron T posted, he is into learning to fly!!! does people need any accesoires to make their flights more comfy? Never considered people have such hobbies like flying!!!! great!!!

My drug of choice has been boating and sports cars. I can drive for hours and hours going no where at all if the car is compelling enough.

Lately I started learning to fly since I want to airport hop around and maybe do the $100 Hamburger thing. $100 hamburger - Wikipedia for reference. In any case I need to get between my home and San Diego faster.

Outside of that I honestly do a lot of fishing off my boats, reading an awful lot of books. God I love reading. Work out nearly daily (always 1 single rest day.) I travel for good food though. Is that a hobby?

I love Disney and Japan so I am often doing things around those 2 topics. Not sure that is a hobby or just a passion. I confuse those a lot anymore.

that is awesome never considered that people are into flying!!!! i understand your habit with driving, i also can drive for a long time with no reason, i actually enjoy thinking while driving, i dont know why maybe its a bit meditative isnt it :)

I also drove to another city to just enjoy a burger there(several times), am i crazy or are there more people doing this ? its kinda freedom you know, just do the F*ck i want lol... i love this $100 Hamburger thing.

And Japan/south korea is totally on my to do list, where you have been in Japan and what could you recommend?i heard about Kyōto!!

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
And Japan/south korea is totally on my to do list, where you have been in Japan and what could you recommend?i heard about Kyōto!!

I lived in Japan for 13 years (younger life with a Military father). My wife is Japanese so we often return and my last business worked closely with Docomo, Sony, and NEC. So I have a few perspectives from childhood through business and family. So here goes.

1. Go to the typical tourist places. They are typical in Japan for a reason. Mt. Fuji, Kyoto and various temples, The Golden Pavilion, Nagasaki/Hiroshima if you want to see what happened there.
2. Learn to embrace the culture, some language, and go strictly for culture such as real Japanese food (no, not California rolls), see dying arts like or attend a festival
4. Visit Tokyo by itself as the largest most vibrant business city I have ever been too (I been all over China for business and trust me, Tokyo is still huge!) There is enough in this one city to last a lifetime.. but don't stay there a lifetime. The world beckons.

I love to travel so I have spent time many places and there is something to love, something to hate about all of them. Japan included.

As for the flying thing, not sure where it will take me yet. I am looking at finishing that up soon, but I want to be clear that flight thing is purely a freedom thing and fulfilling a childhood dream. It is not a socioeconomic thing. If it were purely a money thing I would have someone else fly me around in a private jet. Not even chartered, but fully owned by me. I don't have that. I don't even want that. I just want to rent a small plane and fly.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Sprintcars. We won the championship this year so I am basically done with sprints. I'm getting old and not in to it like I used to be. Just for really local races it cost about $100,000 on average. Next year dropping down to a stock class where beating and banging is encouraged and the cost will only be $15,000 for the whole year at most.

As for just driving for the hell of it..... that's why I deliver all the washers and dryers we sell. I just drive around all day, drop a set off and on to the next. So I get paid to drive around and only have to pay the cost of the hamburger. lol If there is some place I want to go to tomorrow, I tell my 2 sales people to try and sell a set in that town so I get paid to drive there.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Sprintcars. We won the championship this year so I am basically done with sprints. I'm getting old and not in to it like I used to be. Just for really local races it cost about $100,000 on average. Next year dropping down to a stock class where beating and banging is encouraged and the cost will only be $15,000 for the whole year at most.

As for just driving for the hell of it..... that's why I deliver all the washers and dryers we sell. I just drive around all day, drop a set off and on to the next. So I get paid to drive around and only have to pay the cost of the hamburger. lol If there is some place I want to go to tomorrow, I tell my 2 sales people to try and sell a set in that town so I get paid to drive there.

Well I was referring to the $100 hamburger for flying to various airports and having to rent the airplane and fuel to do it. But if someone wants to pay me to fly, well then.. that becomes a job to me. I might not like it as much. I love driving though. I have only raced around SCCA events and just personally whatever cars I am working on or purchased. I have never driven for a living.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
This is my after retirement business. While it does make great money, I don't really do it for a living per se. When I get tired of driving I'll hire 2 guys to deliver.

Ah I can totally understand that. I keep pretty busy too.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
I don´t have much hobbies left since starting the entrepreneurial journey.
But from what is left, here is some:

1. Looking at favourite artists on Artstation.com
2. Pinning great Art/Photographs on Pinterest
3. Minimalist lifestyle - I would ideally like to have everything important in my backpack. The GoRuck is too expensive though. Keeping everything in my $40 Laptop Backpack for now. My room would ideally have a white table, bed and a chair...and some books.
4. Crypto Trading - Kind of a hobby, I´m saving some money, so I can live rentfree within the next year/s, takes very little time once you know the market, and it´s fun.
5. Vegan Lifestyle - For me, it´s mainly about getting cheap protein and cutting cooking time though. I do look for delicous recipes on Youtube from time to time.

BucketHolly

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 27, 2017
Philippines
One of my hobbies is traveling. I prefer going to countries where dollars have a higher exchange rate. It makes me feel less guilty to spend my hard earned money. That's why I usually go to Southeast Asian countries like Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
I lived in Japan for 13 years (younger life with a Military father). My wife is Japanese so we often return and my last business worked closely with Docomo, Sony, and NEC. So I have a few perspectives from childhood through business and family. So here goes.

1. Go to the typical tourist places. They are typical in Japan for a reason. Mt. Fuji, Kyoto and various temples, The Golden Pavilion, Nagasaki/Hiroshima if you want to see what happened there.
2. Learn to embrace the culture, some language, and go strictly for culture such as real Japanese food (no, not California rolls), see dying arts like or attend a festival
4. Visit Tokyo by itself as the largest most vibrant business city I have ever been too (I been all over China for business and trust me, Tokyo is still huge!) There is enough in this one city to last a lifetime.. but don't stay there a lifetime. The world beckons.

I love to travel so I have spent time many places and there is something to love, something to hate about all of them. Japan included.

As for the flying thing, not sure where it will take me yet. I am looking at finishing that up soon, but I want to be clear that flight thing is purely a freedom thing and fulfilling a childhood dream. It is not a socioeconomic thing. If it were purely a money thing I would have someone else fly me around in a private jet. Not even chartered, but fully owned by me. I don't have that. I don't even want that. I just want to rent a small plane and fly.

Thank you very much for those recommendation i will make some notices to keep that!!

Your flying thing is very interesting and all your activities make me curious, what are you doing for a living?

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
One of my hobbies is traveling. I prefer going to countries where dollars have a higher exchange rate. It makes me feel less guilty to spend my hard earned money. That's why I usually go to Southeast Asian countries like Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia.

that's cool! what kind of sources do you use to book your travels?? special websites?

I must say when iam on holidays for one week on day 3 iam getting bored so i need always activity... lol iam the only one?i still cannot understand people laying on the beach for 2-3 Weeks !!

Last edited:

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen

Actually a lot of business owner i know do this, they pick the fun part of their business and just relax doing it!!

This reminds me of a millionaire who is still in his business for transportation of furniture, he still visits clients in person because he love sales and talk to people!!

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Your flying thing is very interesting and all your activities make me curious, what are you doing for a living?

You can really see a bit about it in my intro post. I have built and sold several software companies with my last exit Sept '16. Mostly I go fishing, but sometimes I try different things. I do enjoy Software Dev a lot and building businesses around good ideas. Currently I am helping a wonderful company called MINDBODY and building out their Software Engineering group as best I can. I love doing this, but I also invest quite a bit. I built a nice money system (see Unscripted ) and I use that to fund these hobbies.

Recently though I have become much more aware of the value of time regarding my own family so I am looking to transition back to a strong focus on them solely for a bit.

The flying thing is purely a hobby and childhood dream now that I have time to do it.

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
The Bottom Five activities are the most telling example by far. Besides maybe thinking, those others a great example of how to be a loser forever. Emulate the people on the tv instead of building something great.

It would interesting to know which socioeconomic brackets watch the most tv on average (probably the lower end) and how much.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
The Bottom Five activities are the most telling example by far. Besides maybe thinking, those others a great example of how to be a loser forever. Emulate the people on the tv instead of building something great.

It would interesting to know which socioeconomic brackets watch the most tv on average (probably the lower end) and how much.

OK I never watched a whole lot of TV growing up but I do get caught up watching movies a fair bit. I do admit to a few guilty pleasures regarding TV:
  • Game of Thrones
  • Westworld
  • The Orville (you can stop judging me now)
  • Stranger Things
Now I am all caught up on those, and outside the strange binge I rarely watch more than 1 or 2 hours a week. For the record I have enjoyed video games since the 70's and still play a fair share. I know it isn't the best use of my time, but with some games I find myself in flow and I am able to solve more difficult problems in software development subconsciously this way. More often than not I will go workout at the gym or jog a bit for the same effect, but I do play video games.

So really while the bottom hobbies tend to be escapes for those that have no drive or dreamers, I also think many people enjoy them to various degrees no matter where on the affluent scale you may find yourself. I find it is more a function of time than dollars anyway.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Actually a lot of business owner i know do this, they pick the fun part of their business and just relax doing it!!

This reminds me of a millionaire who is still in his business for transportation of furniture, he still visits clients in person because he love sales and talk to people!!

Yeah, a guy I know was burned in an explosion at his work several years ago and got a HUGE settlement.... several million. He had always wanted to drive a tow truck so he bought a tow truck. He now has a few of them and he still drives one every day.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
OK I never watched a whole lot of TV growing up but I do get caught up watching movies a fair bit. I do admit to a few guilty pleasures regarding TV:
  • Game of Thrones
  • Westworld
  • The Orville (you can stop judging me now)
  • Stranger Things
Now I am all caught up on those, and outside the strange binge I rarely watch more than 1 or 2 hours a week. For the record I have enjoyed video games since the 70's and still play a fair share. I know it isn't the best use of my time, but with some games I find myself in flow and I am able to solve more difficult problems in software development subconsciously this way. More often than not I will go workout at the gym or jog a bit for the same effect, but I do play video games.

So really while the bottom hobbies tend to be escapes for those that have no drive or dreamers, I also think many people enjoy them to various degrees no matter where on the affluent scale you may find yourself. I find it is more a function of time than dollars anyway.

i love video games but i dropped them to focus on business, how can you be descipline enough to avoid spending too much on this things like video games? when i start a game i need to finish it to the end.....

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
3. Minimalist lifestyle - I would ideally like to have everything important in my backpack. The GoRuck is too expensive though. Keeping everything in my $40 Laptop Backpack for now. My room would ideally have a white table, bed and a chair...and some books.

i think this a pretty good point, so you can focus on more important things in life!

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
For me it is diesel vehicles, boating, fishing and hunting. Also golf is something i have picked up due to better connections and elders and mentors that play it mostly. I feel a bit out of place since I am the youngest in my groups (most of my mentors especially in the south that have empires and money are in the 50+ age range) but I am learning each and every day from them.... they have taught me so much and my social intelligence and social IQ amongst the affluent has risen because I stem from poverty. (No F*cking excuses!)

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
For me it is diesel vehicles, boating, fishing and hunting. Also golf is something i have picked up due to better connections and elders and mentors that play it mostly. I feel a bit out of place since I am the youngest in my groups (most of my mentors especially in the south that have empires and money are in the 50+ age range) but I am learning each and every day from them.... they have taught me so much and my social intelligence and social IQ amongst the affluent has risen because I stem from poverty. (No F*cking excuses!)

did you join the golf club on your own ? or do you had someone that bring you in? if not how did you approach your mentors?

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
did you join the golf club on your own ? or do you had someone that bring you in? if not how did you approach your mentors?

I got fortunate to be brought in. ESpecially in the south (not sure about other parts of the nation) its all about the NETWORK and who you are surrounded with. word travels fast and i mean lighting fast. It’s really scary.... haha

A man told me once “show me your friends and Ill show you your future” i took this with a grain of salt. Ditched all my blue collar workers and have been surrounding myself with older and wiser people.

Thus far, I have three mentors. One of which I learned from being a member at Toastmasters at a corporate center. (That helped in its own way too) Michelin corporate headquarters is situated in Greenville and In their fancy building they had a toastmasters club that I came to know of. I was persistent. They wouldn’t let me in the first few times but eventually they couldn’t turn me down and I met the VP of logistics and operations... That turned to be a good friendship. Furthermore, another mentor in world global trade and logistics was introduced by another businessman that i met from chamber of commerce meeting. Lastly in the ground transportation and port to port intermodal network my third mentor came about and although i cannot see face to face anymore (he is traveling continuously) skype comes in handy. I sought out and sought out these men extremely persistently. I wined and dined them once or twice and they really respected that and took me sort of under their wing. I know that right now they may not be of immediate impact because I am a small bud still growing but in 4-5 years time, their extensive networks will be immense as I am only 27 y.o.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
i love video games but i dropped them to focus on business, how can you be descipline enough to avoid spending too much on this things like video games? when i start a game i need to finish it to the end.....

I don't have to be disciplined anymore. I can take all the time I want for it.

However I also value my time more than the game so there in lies the discipline. I will occasionally play a game for extended periods, but the game doesn't own me. I eventually want to do something more valuable with my time. These days the most I get lost in is a book.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
I got fortunate to be brought in. ESpecially in the south (not sure about other parts of the nation) its all about the NETWORK and who you are surrounded with. word travels fast and i mean lighting fast. It’s really scary.... haha

A man told me once “show me your friends and Ill show you your future” i took this with a grain of salt. Ditched all my blue collar workers and have been surrounding myself with older and wiser people.

Thus far, I have three mentors. One of which I learned from being a member at Toastmasters at a corporate center. (That helped in its own way too) Michelin corporate headquarters is situated in Greenville and In their fancy building they had a toastmasters club that I came to know of. I was persistent. They wouldn’t let me in the first few times but eventually they couldn’t turn me down and I met the VP of logistics and operations... That turned to be a good friendship. Furthermore, another mentor in world global trade and logistics was introduced by another businessman that i met from chamber of commerce meeting. Lastly in the ground transportation and port to port intermodal network my third mentor came about and although i cannot see face to face anymore (he is traveling continuously) skype comes in handy. I sought out and sought out these men extremely persistently. I wined and dined them once or twice and they really respected that and took me sort of under their wing. I know that right now they may not be of immediate impact because I am a small bud still growing but in 4-5 years time, their extensive networks will be immense as I am only 27 y.o.

do your mentors fit your carreer path? or do you also take advice on the social life etc..?

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
yes some of them do others have just made it even during times of distress (recession and even during the first recession during reagan bush transition years. 89-91) also one of them made it after vietnam and during the oil crises in 79....

I take some pointers regarding social life.. Right now there is no social life (only once or twice a month maybe if that) because my efforts are going towards more important things and people that need my services more then I need that of socializing.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Snowboarding sking longboarding, I'd say rich or poor... Cross country sking is a good hobbie / fitness activity. Please don't be one of those douches that wears race gear tho.... Otherwise sparechange is going to fly down full speed and hockey check you straight into the trees and steal your skis!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.