Hey fellow entrepreneurs!
I'm a first time 20 year old entreprenur and I've recently launched an ecommerce startup, right now we're in the process of iterating and pivoting to create something that the market truly needs/wants.
I started the business with my best friend, and after having worked with him through failures and struggle in over 3 years now, I know we got a strong foundation to be business partners.
However before we launched we got seed funding from my sister and her boyfriend, and last month we all decided that they should join the startup full time. So they did, and now we all live together in the same apartment as we got a limited budget for the moment. They also moved from their home country (as did we for 6 months ago.)
Sounds intimate? it is. But it has worked quite good so far. I understand it won't be easy as we're working together and living togheter (and have close/personal relationships), but we have to do the best of it until we get things going. Luckily we're getting an office in a few weeks.
The reason I wanted them on board is because I knew that they wanted to do this badly, i can trust them to death, and the're willing to work hard, also without getting any salary in the beginning. I was sure they could become rock stars and be great employees. They also have very good personalities and I like them as close friends.
The things is they don't have any necessary skills that could really add value to the startup right now (or I have trouble finding any). I thought/think it's possible to create their roles and skills in the process. Especially now it's hard as we're in the process of huge uncertainty, if we're even going for the right idea or if we need to change etc.
And to be blunt, in reality, the most important skills we need right now in the business is techical/design.
What we also have is a successful business man that is our mentor, me and my partner are meeting with him next monday to discuss all this. But I want to hear from several people about this situation.
So the important question here is, especially as it's a very unique situation and I don't have any experience in this. How can I delegate and make this work?
What should I watch out for, to not head for disaster and loose valuable relationships and the business in the process?
For example I delegated Facebook, and try to learn them what to do and not do etc. And give them great lessons from Mixergy etc. What I realized is that a lot of the suggestions of what they want to do (now in the beginning as they are new), is not really good, and I must "micro manage" and say no a lot. I do my best to do it very constructively and come with other ideas, but I feel it can be taken very negatively.
How can I improve this from my side?
I also get the feeling that my sister can be very emotional in arguments, how can I handle this as good as possible?
Let me know if you have any expeirence or thoughts on this, everything would be a lot of help for me! :eusa_clap:
Thanks!
I'm a first time 20 year old entreprenur and I've recently launched an ecommerce startup, right now we're in the process of iterating and pivoting to create something that the market truly needs/wants.
I started the business with my best friend, and after having worked with him through failures and struggle in over 3 years now, I know we got a strong foundation to be business partners.
However before we launched we got seed funding from my sister and her boyfriend, and last month we all decided that they should join the startup full time. So they did, and now we all live together in the same apartment as we got a limited budget for the moment. They also moved from their home country (as did we for 6 months ago.)
Sounds intimate? it is. But it has worked quite good so far. I understand it won't be easy as we're working together and living togheter (and have close/personal relationships), but we have to do the best of it until we get things going. Luckily we're getting an office in a few weeks.
The reason I wanted them on board is because I knew that they wanted to do this badly, i can trust them to death, and the're willing to work hard, also without getting any salary in the beginning. I was sure they could become rock stars and be great employees. They also have very good personalities and I like them as close friends.
The things is they don't have any necessary skills that could really add value to the startup right now (or I have trouble finding any). I thought/think it's possible to create their roles and skills in the process. Especially now it's hard as we're in the process of huge uncertainty, if we're even going for the right idea or if we need to change etc.
And to be blunt, in reality, the most important skills we need right now in the business is techical/design.
What we also have is a successful business man that is our mentor, me and my partner are meeting with him next monday to discuss all this. But I want to hear from several people about this situation.
So the important question here is, especially as it's a very unique situation and I don't have any experience in this. How can I delegate and make this work?
What should I watch out for, to not head for disaster and loose valuable relationships and the business in the process?
For example I delegated Facebook, and try to learn them what to do and not do etc. And give them great lessons from Mixergy etc. What I realized is that a lot of the suggestions of what they want to do (now in the beginning as they are new), is not really good, and I must "micro manage" and say no a lot. I do my best to do it very constructively and come with other ideas, but I feel it can be taken very negatively.
How can I improve this from my side?
I also get the feeling that my sister can be very emotional in arguments, how can I handle this as good as possible?
Let me know if you have any expeirence or thoughts on this, everything would be a lot of help for me! :eusa_clap:
Thanks!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
