The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hire a Copywriter they said.. It would be good they said..

Marketing, social media, advertising

system

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 6, 2014
Had my first experience hiring a copywriter for my new digital product and wanted to share because I know there are others who will benefit.

I needed a copywriter to do 2 sales pages for me and was referred to some of the best (Vin Montello, Matt O Connor, Daniel Scott) by an IM friend of mine. They all had a long waiting list and I needed it done ASAP so I went on the hunt and here's what I found..

My Advice:
1) Hire a copywriter. If its in your budget hire a copywriter. Learn as much as you can from them as they write your copy and don't stop learning until you begin to write all your copy yourself.

2) Hire someone who understands the product. When I was looking for a copywriter I interviewed a couple different people and some had no clue what it was I was trying to sell.. The guy I did hire understood what it was I was selling and it came through in his copy. He brought up some incredible benefits to the product simply because he was familiar with it.

3) Hire a copywriter. Seriously.. If you write like crap or even mediocre pay the money to have the sales page done right - it will be worth it.

For example...
a decent copywriter you might get 2 - 3% conversion
a good copywriter 5-7%
an amazing copywriter 10 - 13%
If you do the numbers.. it adds up quick.. if you got 100 people to your site.. with an ok copywriter.. you just made 2 sales.. but with a great one.. you just made 10+.
So imagine 100,000 people to your site...

Hope this helps

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Phillipbro

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 10, 2013
Ontario
Great thread, what was the rough price estimate they gave you for the service if you don't mind sharing. (I have no idea how much a copywriter is charging nowadays).

Would this work well for a physical product as well, particularly in the consumer electronics niche?

system

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 6, 2014
what was the rough price estimate they gave you for the service
I payed $700 for a long sales page and that's only because I had already written all the core facts etc.

For top of the line I have heard guys pay $20K which is absurd to me but when you crunch the numbers and they are making that in a week off commissions.

Would this work well for a physical product as well, particularly in the consumer electronics niche?
Certainly. I never really understood the value in a good copywriter until I had one. I used to write all my own stuff and in hindsight can't believe I did.
If you're on the fence about it I'd follow through and get a good copywriter. With good copy you can sell a bad product and still make money.

Well worth the investment.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012

system

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 6, 2014
@SeanKelly thanks a lot for your valuable input in this thread, glad you took the time to correct my grammar.

Any chance I hire you to edit my text messages as well?

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
@SeanKelly thanks a lot for your valuable input in this thread, glad you took the time to correct my grammar.

Any chance I hire you to edit my text messages as well?

Just got a kick out of the irony. Also, didn't see any value in your thread. "Hire a copy writer" ....well duh

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Also, didn't see any value in your thread. "Hire a copy writer" ....well duh

SMH... Anytime someone shares their personal experience and lessons learned I find value. Sometimes I just think you look for ways of being a PITA.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Where would you go to hire a copywriter? Would where you go change depending on your product/niche?

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
I thought this was valuable, thanks for posting your experience @system ! Did you use Elance or Odesk for this?

Last edited:

system

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 6, 2014
Where would you go to hire a copywriter? Would where you go change depending on your product/niche?
I did a lot of asking around but eventually found a guy on warrior forum.

When I was searching almost every guy I talked to was so interested in how much $ I was going to make on the initial launch.. the first guy I spoke with brushed me off at first then after checking out my product said he'd do it for $700 and 10% of profits for the lifetime of the product.. um no.

Find someone who you can communicate effectively with (ie skype). That way you will learn the process and have a chance to pick their brain if their open to it.

I thought this was valuable, thanks for posting your experience @system ! Did you use Elance or Odesk for this?
I found mine on Warrior Forum under Warriors for Hire. Like I mentioned above, everyone that I spoke to was interested in how much $ I planned to make on the initial launch. At first this was a little odd to me but this is how they judge the quality of their copy - if you visit their websites it's all testimonials: "Client A made $xxx,xxx in the first 48 hours with my copy". Just a warning so you're not caught off guard..

I know Odesk/Elance has plenty but I was able to read some reviews left by "warriors" on the forum and it helped me make my decision.

Pick someone that understands your niche/product and will do the research to make sure they hit every possible benefit of the product in the copy.

BubbleTeaJelly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 16, 2012
Congrats on filtering out a good copywriter :). I've seen some get burned, hard, not taking the precautions you took. $700 is a steal!

I've charged up to $795 for critiquing alone, lol. But it's always a win-win, since $795 is nothing compared to the amount they make after.

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
I used to write all my own stuff and in hindsight can't believe I did.
If you're on the fence about it I'd follow through and get a good copywriter. With good copy you can sell a bad product and still make money.

Would you consider yourself to be an above average writer overall? Just wondering if being a good writer in general will carry over to being able to write a good copy, or if that's too much of a separate field with different skill set requirements, if you want it done well.?

system

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 6, 2014
Congrats on filtering out a good copywriter :)
Ya it took me a while but now that I know what to look for I thought I'd share.

Would you consider yourself to be an above average writer overall? Just wondering if being a good writer in general will carry over to being able to write a good copy, or if that's too much of a separate field with different skill set requirements, if you want it done well.?
Yes I would consider myself above average.. but writing good copy is something totally different. You are writing to highlight the benefits of the product, tell a story that hooks the reader, convey and impact on an emotional level, relate to the users hardships and problems, etc.

I would check out the copywriting challenge thread on here - it has great resources if you want to learn more about copy. Learning it will not only help you in writing copy but also in your mindset when developing products and product launches.

Hope this helps..

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
Ya it took me a while but now that I know what to look for I thought I'd share.
Yes I would consider myself above average.. but writing good copy is something totally different. You are writing to highlight the benefits of the product, tell a story that hooks the reader, convey and impact on an emotional level, relate to the users hardships and problems, etc.

I would check out the copywriting challenge thread on here - it has great resources if you want to learn more about copy. Learning it will not only help you in writing copy but also in your mindset when developing products and product launches.

Hope this helps..

I'll do that, it sounds like a good time investment. Thanks for the insight.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.