The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hey MJ, How do you deal with...

bda888

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jul 5, 2011
Hey MJ,

Question...How do you deal with "Haters" that are jealous or threathened by you because you are rich?

For example, driving around in your sports car, have you had people at stop lights make remarks? What about the gym?...Can you comment on a scenario or two that has happened to you and how you dealt with it?

Even meeting new people through friends (at parties, etc.) there are always jealous losers...no matter how cool and repsectful you are to them. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this issue.

Thanks

Brad

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What about the gym?...

I park in the back of the parking lot -- huge, empty lot. Pretty much, every time I come out from working out, there is some douchebag who thinks it is funny to park next to me, and close.

This rarely happened in the past -- but as the economy gets worse, it happens more and more. In fact, the last 3 times I visited the gym in my Murci, it happened twice.

doucehbagparker.jpg

How do you deal with "Haters" that are jealous or threathened by you

I don't consider myself rich (rich is money) I consider myself wealthy (wealthy is time/happiness). Aside from the internet/anonymous postings/reviews, I don't encounter many face-to-face haters. If I did, I'd reciprocate whatever attitude they gave.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I park in the back of the parking lot -- huge, empty lot. Pretty much, every time I come out from working out, there is some douchebag who thinks it is funny to park next to me, and close.

It's odd, but this is so true. No matter how far I park away from people, there is always a car parked next to mine when I come out...

Don't know why that is...

bda888

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jul 5, 2011
Thanks MJ

Thanks MJ...At least I know that I am not the only one that this happens to. It's amazing, the producers in this world not only financially support the rest of the morons but also have to put up with their jealousy. Maybe if he bought your book he wouldn't be driving a piece of shit pick up truck. Anyway, if you see him in the parking lot, remember his face...you'll probably see him on Judge Judy.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Thanks MJ...At least I know that I am not the only one that this happens to. It's amazing, the producers in this world not only financially support the rest of the morons but also have to put up with their jealousy. Maybe if he bought your book he wouldn't be driving a piece of shit pick up truck. Anyway, if you see him in the parking lot, remember his face...you'll probably see him on Judge Judy.

That's harsh.

Number 1: Rich people don't support the rest of the world. Not even close.
Number 2: Just because someone is not rich doesn't make them a moron
Number 3: Just because someone looks at your sports car doesn't mean they're jealous of you. If they are, it shouldn't bother you, it's a compliment.
Number 4: It's peope like you who give rich people a bad name
Number 5: I don't even think you're rich. You don't sound like someone who knows what being rich feels like.

bda888

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jul 5, 2011
Response to "That's Harsh"

You are projecting a lot onto my response that was not there.

Responses to your comments:

Number 1: I didn't say the rich support the world, I said the PRODUCERS do.Producers provide jobs, goods and services that make people's lives better, paythe vast majority of the tax base and donate the most to charity. The top 20%of earners carry 80% of the tax load or more…That’s a fact. Whether you like itor not, people like Bill Gates provide tremendous value in the form of productsand jobs and that’s why he is richer than the government worker who wants to doless and less and get paid more and more.

Number 2: Where did I say that if someone is not rich that they are a moron?If they are jealous of someone else who has a better car than they ARE a moron.Jealous people is the subject of the thread.

Number 3: The subject of looking at the car was not in the discussion. Whatare you talking about?

Number 4: I give rich people a bad name? Does MJ give the wealthy a bad namebecause he doesn’t want the car he worked his whole life to get damaged by ajealous guy in a parking lot? Ridiculous.

Number 5: That was probably your truck in the parking lot next to MJ’s car.

Danny G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
May 10, 2011
Bulgaria
I believe haters are everywhere. That won't change. I mean look at the situation when you are not rich (i mean you have money but you definitely arent rich) and some people still will jealous about some stuff - like for your girlfriend, for your fulfilled life, for the way you're living and enjoying everything in your life. So jealous cannot only for money, it can be for everything.

How do you handle it ? Well, you just being yourself and that's all. You can't change everyone's opinion about you, neither you can make everyone like you. Some people live for the jealous. I find it normal, not a good thing but a normal part of the life. I am not that kind of person, I got really successful friends and I'm happy with what they have achieved and that only motivates me to go on and do what im doing now - Driving on my fastlane trip.

Ohh, and about what 911Carrera said - money dont make you a jerk or a moron. People are what they are and money just make what they already are a reality.

I wish you all happiness and wealth and let people jealous if that's what they want to do.

Peace

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
You are projecting a lot onto my response that was not there.

Responses to your comments:

Number 1: I didn't say the rich support the world, I said the PRODUCERS do.Producers provide jobs, goods and services that make people's lives better, paythe vast majority of the tax base and donate the most to charity. The top 20%of earners carry 80% of the tax load or more…That’s a fact. Whether you like itor not, people like Bill Gates provide tremendous value in the form of productsand jobs and that’s why he is richer than the government worker who wants to doless and less and get paid more and more.

Number 2: Where did I say that if someone is not rich that they are a moron?If they are jealous of someone else who has a better car than they ARE a moron.Jealous people is the subject of the thread.

Number 3: The subject of looking at the car was not in the discussion. Whatare you talking about?

Number 4: I give rich people a bad name? Does MJ give the wealthy a bad namebecause he doesn’t want the car he worked his whole life to get damaged by ajealous guy in a parking lot? Ridiculous.

Number 5: That was probably your truck in the parking lot next to MJ’s car.

Lol at you thinking rich people pay the most taxes. The fact is your post was disrespectful to a lot of people and you are not rich as far as I know.

Oh and I own the car in my profile, so if I parked it next to MJ's, he wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm not rich but I'm doing well for my age. The reason I'm on this board is because I hate being a corporate drone. I want to be my own boss and get filthy rich. But rest assured that I will never look down on anyone with less material possession than me.

I park my car far and away from other cars if i can in the parking lot too, that's being prudent, not an a**hole. There is nothing wrong with that.

FutureBlessings

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 1, 2011

This rarely happened in the past -- but as the economy gets worse, it happens more and more. In fact, the last 3 times I visited the gym in my Murci, it happened twice.

I think for most people the reason why this maybe happening to you is because they admire your car. I guess they feel like maybe they might experience just a taste of what its like to be rich i.e. parking by your car. I don't know maybe I could be wrong. I could only imagine how annoying that is but, like you have said thousands of times most ppl dream to be rich but never think they can be because of their mindset is blocking them. So I think thats where your car or any other fast exotic car comes into play. I wouldnt be surprised if they sit on it a take pictures as well. I've seen that happen plenty of times. People love to imagine themselves in that lifestyle. I guess its moreso a compliment but hopefully they dont park to close to stalk who drives that cars or just to be an a**hole and park close on purpose to cause dents when they open their door.:nono:

hekks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 2, 2011
Chicago

I think that underneath the veil of thinking it's funny, what they're actually doing is retaliating for the BRUISED EGO. They think to themselves... "how dare this guy think he should get to park away from all the other cars." It's exactly what it is: a bruised childish ego. Haters are a dime a dozen!!!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
You should spray paint "gym - do not move" in white on some orange cones.. and whenever, you park; just throw those down on the other adjacent spots...

They'll prob still move em, but it'll cut down on some at least I'm thinking..

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Maybe if he bought your book he wouldn't be driving a piece of shit pick up truck

I've read MJ's book and I'm well on my way to being very wealthy and I plan to keep it, along with picking up (pun intended) a few more down the road. I love pickup trucks. I grew up with them and I love the way they drive. The car has no implication on the person (there are exceptions to every rule...obviously) but don't assume that someone is a moron/poor because of the car that they drive. Hard to believe, but there are some Pinto collectors out there :)

Judge a person by their character, not by their trappings.

JC

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
The car has no implication on the person (there are exceptions to every rule...obviously) but don't assume that someone is a moron/poor because of the car that they drive.

True.. but.... do JUDGE THEM IF THEY DRIVE A BMW OR BENZ 300 SERIES. *drops mic* o_0

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet

You sound like an idiot... poor people are equally good as the rich, and rich people could easily be low life too. Look at the Amy Winehouses, Paris Hiltons, the Lindsay Lohans, the Charlie Sheens, and so many more people... all low-life in their own way.

People are all equal, and it's up to them if they are horrible people or good people, money has no bearings to this.

Oh and I then read your last comment, and it comes across as "rich versus poor" then "rich versus jealous people". MJ, yes I read that book too, was a poor guy who lived with his mother's basement . We all have to start somewhere, so if you're poor it doesn't mean you are a moron.

Georgian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2011
People are different

Hey all, been reading the forums for some time, I just have to reply to this thread as I think you guys are missing some points.

1. If you don't want to draw attention, park in line with everybody. If you park far away, your car stands out. If you're afraid your car might get accidentally scratched if you park in line with everybody, well, then learn to live with it. Most probably nothing will happen to it anyway. But if you do choose to pamper it, and have it stand out, then expect that people might notice it and get drawn to it. It's not good or bad, it just is.

2. If I saw a nice car parked at the gym far away, I might park near it, not because I hate or I'm jealous, but just because I want to have a closer look and maybe share some of the coolness. I'd think "wow this guy is cool, I love his car". Call it "curiosity".

3. People have different backgrounds, maybe some are jealous and haters. Then again, maybe not everyone is.

Best,
G.

A

Anon3587x

I don't have a 250,000$ car that people park next to.

Last edited by a moderator:

hekks

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 2, 2011
Chicago
You should spray paint "gym - do not move" in white on some orange cones.. and whenever, you park; just throw those down on the other adjacent spots...

They'll prob still move em, but it'll cut down on some at least I'm thinking..

lol that would be a HATER MAGNET! haha. Would get keyed for sure. Maybe even throw in some flashing neon "do not park" signs?

That is what is most unfortunate about society. If people don't want to work hard(smart) for something they want, they seek to destroy it and ruin it for others. Total childhood mentality. "Your sandcastle is cooler so I'm going to kick it over."

Call me jaded, but I'd leave my Lambo for the open road and not let it out of my sight for more than 15min.

Georgian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2011
I don't have a 250,000$ car that people park next to.

But I have had very hot girlfriends people sit and stand next to. What the f? creeps

Ha ha this reminds me of a joke, no offence. Someone asks:

"Which is better to have, an ugly girl all for yourself, or some hotshot that flirts/f with other people too?"

"Well, think about it, would you rather have a shit and eat it alone, or a chocolate cake and share it with friends?"

murlin99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 26, 2011
A lot of hostility over what started out as a simple question. I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan with 170,000 miles on it and a 2000 Silverado 1500 approaching 155,000 miles, nothing impressive but they both get me where I need to go. I am not jealous of expensive cars or anything else really, I do have wants and dreams. Cruising down the highway in an Aston Martin V12 Vantage is one of those dreams. When I see a car like that normally my first thought is what did this person do that I have not done. I would leave it in peace with the thought that one of these days that will be me and I would want the same kind of respect. I just have to keep driving forward with my plans and ideas no matter how hopeless it may look at times.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.