The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Do You Deal With Deconstructive Criticism?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Hey all. Recently I have put my product out there for the world to see, and for me to act, assess and adjust as @MJ DeMarco said in UNSCRIPTED . On the forum, I have gotten some good feedback from you guys, but on social media I have gotten some deconstructive criticism, even making me question the purpose of my product at times. I have also gotten positive feedback though, and even a few random people signed up for the emails. Maybe I need to expand my reach. I'm not spending a ton on ads (like $5 a day) so maybe I need a wider audience and to improve my content. Maybe I should mainly focus on b2b sales because they seem a bit more civil and actually interested. All of this has made me feel slightly conflicted.

How do I learn to accept that not everyone will like this? That certain people will look down on what I have to offer? My instant reaction is honestly to lash out, but I know that's not the right answer at all. It just pains me to see people who probably create nothing of value looking down upon what I have spent months building. This is a mental block I need to get over to succeed.

Any tips on this would be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hey all. Recently I have put my product out there for the world to see, and for me to act, assess and adjust as @MJ DeMarco said in UNSCRIPTED . On the forum, I have gotten some good feedback from you guys, but on social media I have gotten some deconstructive criticism, even making me question the purpose of my product at times. I have also gotten positive feedback though, and even a few random people signed up for the emails. Maybe I need to expand my reach. I'm not spending a ton on ads (like $5 a day) so maybe I need a wider audience and to improve my content. Maybe I should mainly focus on b2b sales because they seem a bit more civil and actually interested. All of this has made me feel slightly conflicted.

How do I learn to accept that not everyone will like this? That certain people will look down on what I have to offer? My instant reaction is honestly to lash out, but I know that's not the right answer at all. It just pains me to see people who probably create nothing of value looking down upon what I have spent months building. This is a mental block I need to get over to succeed.

Any tips on this would be appreciated.
Sure. I can you abouy tell this. There are people out there that are going to hate you no matter what you do. It's not you. It's them. If you die for them, you'll kick wrong. You can't please them, no matter what you do. So, wish them well and walk away. Find someone new. These people only comprise about ten percent (10%) out there.

The sad part is that know people who spend their whole lives "playing" to these disapproving people. All their live's energy are spent trying to please people who cannot be pleased. Uh? Why do they waste their lives like that?

Plushy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 19, 2023
USA
I think you deserve some praise for following through on execution and bringing a new invention into the world, so be proud of yourself for putting yourself out there like that. Not everybody can do that, and certainly not the haters.

Based on the reaction you described, it set off some red flags for me that maybe what you've made is something useless or gimmicky. I saw your thread and I can understand why people would have strong opinions about it, but it wasn't useless. My opinion is there's room for improvement, your idea is great, and to be proud of yourself for following through and taking that plunge to put yourself out there in the world. But also I don't think it's lack of advertising that's causing poor feedback and sales.

I think the execution of your idea can be improved. It looks kind of clunky and awkward. I feel like some gym-goers would be embarrassed to use it. But I think there's a difference between a bad idea and a bad execution (or what you think is due to marketing or haters), because your product definitely serves a purpose. It's a great idea.

I think it would be really cool if you could make it some sort of digital system instead. Like users scan something, or the sensor is attached to the weights and automatically updates the sign; so they won't have to feel embarrassed interacting with the old school resin board. I get you used what you had (3d printing knowledge). Or maybe it interacts with the QR code or ID that people sign in at the gym, or something on the mat you can set that links to the sign like "this area reserved for next 20 minutes" If you're already socially awkward, you're not going to be wanting to stand in front of a sign for a while showing off to the world how many sets you have. I think if it's high tech or more discrete, it would garner a lot more enthusiasm. Even if there is hate, ultimately you are building this for the end user. So think about the end user and what they are really asking for.

But don't get caught up on negative feedback - great job again, for becoming an inventor at age 18! Congratulations.

Awakened2022

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jan 14, 2023
I think you deserve some praise for following through on execution and bringing a new invention into the world, so be proud of yourself for putting yourself out there like that. Not everybody can do that, and certainly not the haters.

Based on the reaction you described, it set off some red flags for me that maybe what you've made is something useless or gimmicky. I saw your thread and I can understand why people would have strong opinions about it, but it wasn't useless. My opinion is there's room for improvement, your idea is great, and to be proud of yourself for following through and taking that plunge to put yourself out there in the world. But also I don't think it's lack of advertising that's causing poor feedback and sales.

I think the execution of your idea can be improved. It looks kind of clunky and awkward. I feel like some gym-goers would be embarrassed to use it. But I think there's a difference between a bad idea and a bad execution (or what you think is due to marketing or haters), because your product definitely serves a purpose. It's a great idea.

I think it would be really cool if you could make it some sort of digital system instead. Like users scan something, or the sensor is attached to the weights and automatically updates the sign; so they won't have to feel embarrassed interacting with the old school resin board. I get you used what you had (3d printing knowledge). Or maybe it interacts with the QR code or ID that people sign in at the gym, or something on the mat you can set that links to the sign like "this area reserved for next 20 minutes" If you're already socially awkward, you're not going to be wanting to stand in front of a sign for a while showing off to the world how many sets you have. I think if it's high tech or more discrete, it would garner a lot more enthusiasm. Even if there is hate, ultimately you are building this for the end user. So think about the end user and what they are really asking for.

But don't get caught up on negative feedback - great job again, for becoming an inventor at age 18! Congratulations.
I don't know what his invention is, and I haven't been following his thread, but I want to say on his behalf:thanks for this detailed feedback.

It is people like you that make this forum a real learning experience. Thanks again.

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016
Sure. I can you abouy tell this. There are people out there that are going to hate you no matter what you do. It's not you. It's them. If you die for them, you'll kick wrong. You can't please them, no matter what you do. So, wish them well and walk away. Find someone new. These people only comprise about ten percent (10%) out there.

The sad part is that know people who spend their whole lives "playing" to these disapproving people. All their live's energy are spent trying to please people who cannot be pleased. Uh? Why do

totally agree,

But not only peope that hate you are a problem also people with 'good advice'

I once had a colleague who wanted children but could only have them with IVF due to medical reasons...

her sister and brother-in-law did not approve.

so she didn't have any kids she retired now recently and listening to her sister and brother in law is the biggest mistake in her life!
now she has no kids just because someone else had a problem with this...

the moral of the story.
follow your own path and be open to criticism but don't let it paralyze you...

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Apr 27, 2022
United States

I thank you for all your kind words, it means a lot to me. A more digital system would be interesting, though I lack experience in coding.

The main mental block I have with all of this is that I've been working on this for months and people really loved the early models, yet when I announce this to the world, people don't grasp it or even understand why they would need this due to it being a new concept. A few people do though. I've received probably about 5 random people that said they'd definitely use this. A lot of other people don't like it. There is most definitely a niche here. I know this probably violates some Fastlane tenet, but I want to keep moving in this direction. It's way too late to switch it up now and I think I see sparks of something great.

The design most definitely needs to be refined and perfected to be more eye-catching and sleek. So if anyone has any suggestions for that I would love it. Maybe a font change? Form change? Additional colors? Maybe make it thin and metal?

An alternate design I played with for a bit (would not have that text on the slider):
70786438245--25B9D707-D760-4891-A1D6-CBD2CDCFB64B.jpg
Let me know what you guys think.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.