The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HELP WITH TAXES for online marketing agency (self-employed) **

John2020

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 4, 2019
Hello, so I am ready to start my social media marketing agency,

I just have one important question before I start taking clients, and it has to do with taxes.

I will be operating as a sole proprietorship, working as a self-employed individual. This will only be for the first few year or so as I scale my agency.

My one big question is, how do I go about taxes in this case?
I just want to make sure I know everything I should know so I don't make this kind of mistake.

**(It is important to note for tax purposes I am from the United States)**
Any advice, or anything I need to know is much appreciated! Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ijack

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Dec 27, 2021
just wanted to say thanks for everything you do on this page

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Hello, so I am ready to start my social media marketing agency,

I just have one important question before I start taking clients, and it has to do with taxes.

I will be operating as a sole proprietorship, working as a self-employed individual. This will only be for the first few year or so as I scale my agency.

My one big question is, how do I go about taxes in this case?
I just want to make sure I know everything I should know so I don't make this kind of mistake.

**(It is important to note for tax purposes I am from the United States)**
Any advice, or anything I need to know is much appreciated! Thanks
There's quite a few youtube videos you can check out, most common advice for u.s. based freelancers is to save 23-25% of every dollar you make for when tax season rolls around.

Mark98

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 27, 2015
Seattle
There's quite a few youtube videos you can check out, most common advice for u.s. based freelancers is to save 23-25% of every dollar you make for when tax season rolls around.
Hi I currently work as a bookkeeper. When a person becomes self-employed their overall withholding taxes that they will pay will come out to 15.3% of their wages. 12.4% for social security and 2.9% for Medicare. When you are a W-2 employee, your employer pays half (6.75%) and you are responsible for paying the other half (6.75%). So to cover these taxes, and income taxes and if you have to pay state, saving 20% - 25% should be perfect for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
I am a client of turbotax.
If you're in the u.s. and make less than about 60k/yr, freetaxusa has free filing and has worked well for me for about 4 years now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.