The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tax Help!

John2020

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 4, 2019
Hello, so I am ready to start my social media marketing agency,

I just have one important question before I start taking clients, and it has to do with taxes.

I will be operating as a sole proprietorship, working as a self-employed individual. This will only be for the first few year or so as I scale my agency.

My one big question is, how do I go about taxes in this case?
I just want to make sure I know everything I should know so I don't make this kind of mistake.
I know I must sign up as a sole proprietor, how exactly do I go about doing that?
Anything else I may be missing that I should know would be helpful

**(It is important to note for tax purposes I am from the United States)**
Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I suggest speaking with a CPA, as it may be different in each state. Taxes are confusing. In my opinion, trying to figure out taxes on your own especially when you are starting up is too much of a headache.
I know I must sign up as a sole proprietor, how exactly do I go about doing that?
Usually, you just register your business with the state you are doing business in.

If you are serious about making this work, getting all your ducks in a row is important. Personally, I spoke with a lawyer and a CPA before starting my business. I don't pretend to be an expert in the field of taxes or business law, so speaking to someone who knows their shit is beneficial.

Move fast, and speak with the right people so you don't drag your feet figuring out all the steps on your own.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Hello, so I am ready to start my social media marketing agency,

I just have one important question before I start taking clients, and it has to do with taxes.

I will be operating as a sole proprietorship, working as a self-employed individual. This will only be for the first few year or so as I scale my agency.

I just want to make sure I know everything I should know so I don't make this kind of mistake.

**(It is important to note for tax purposes I am from the United States)**
Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks
You need to pay quarterly estimated taxes: federal income, state income, and social security/Medicare.

The Q2 due date is June 15th, so you might want to set aside money or get tax help if you have already made money this year.

John2020

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Dec 4, 2019
I suggest speaking with a CPA, as it may be different in each state. Taxes are confusing. In my opinion, trying to figure out taxes on your own especially when you are starting up is too much of a headache.

Usually, you just register your business with the state you are doing business in.

If you are serious about making this work, getting all your ducks in a row is important. Personally, I spoke with a lawyer and a CPA before starting my business. I don't pretend to be an expert in the field of taxes or business law, so speaking to someone who knows their shit is beneficial.

Move fast, and speak with the right people so you don't drag your feet figuring out all the steps on your own.
Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.