The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from the sidewalk!

MRSSuply

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Nov 17, 2016
Georgia, USA
Who I am: I’m a full-time PhD student in plant evolutionary biology. My husband and I also invest in real estate, which is our slow-lane foray. Mother to one daughter (so far), resident of Georgia, USA. Married to MRSupply. In retrospect, I should have differentiated my alias more. One extra “S!”

Why I'm on MFF: 1) My husband is an aspiring fastlaner and I want to understand that mentality since it obviously impacts our relationship and household financial decisions and (2) I find that a lot of entrepreneurial concepts translate to my work.

Where I hope to be someday: I graduate in a year and a half, and my first choices are a teaching, research, or think tank-related job in academia or industry. If plans change, I may want to open my own tutoring business. I would also be happy working for a CENTS business run by MRSupply. No matter what, I definitely want to continue investing in real estate.

Ways I could offer value to MFF: I probably don’t have much to offer the forum unless you want to test out a large-scale business idea - I could definitely create a solid experimental design and help with analysis. I may have a few real estate thoughts to share, but MRSupply is the best one for those questions as he does all the analyses for finding properties.

Ways MFF has helped me already: (1 )I started tutoring on the side. While this is still 100% sidewalk (trading time for money), it gives me teaching experience and lets me peek inside the tutoring industry. (2) I read the excellent thread on finding a mentor by first adding value: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...r-how-should-i-go-about-hitting-him-up.71658/. So I put together some thoughts on directions a professor could take her research and dropped them off. Maybe she’ll hire me as a post-doc. Or maybe not. Either way, I’ve demonstrated my value.

Currently reading: “Sprint,” by the Google Ventures team. It details a strategy to harness both independent thinking and group decision-making, with the goal of identifying a problem, prototyping a solution, and testing the prototype on your target audience in 5 days. I’m trying to figure out how to modify it for lab meetings, but it’s definitely designed for entrepreneurs and may be beneficial to some members of this forum.

Next to read: The Millionaire Fastlane ! Duh!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Wow! Damn fine job. :)

Who I am: I’m a full-time PhD student in plant evolutionary biology. My husband and I also invest in real estate, which is our slow-lane foray. Mother to one daughter (so far), resident of Georgia, USA. Married to MRSupply. In retrospect, I should have differentiated my alias more. One extra “S!”

Why I'm on MFF: 1) My husband is an aspiring fastlaner and I want to understand that mentality since it obviously impacts our relationship and household financial decisions and (2) I find that a lot of entrepreneurial concepts translate to my work.

Where I hope to be someday: I graduate in a year and a half, and my first choices are a teaching, research, or think tank-related job in academia or industry. If plans change, I may want to open my own tutoring business. I would also be happy working for a CENTS business run by MRSupply. No matter what, I definitely want to continue investing in real estate.

Ways I could offer value to MFF: I probably don’t have much to offer the forum unless you want to test out a large-scale business idea - I could definitely create a solid experimental design and help with analysis. I may have a few real estate thoughts to share, but MRSupply is the best one for those questions as he does all the analyses for finding properties.

Ways MFF has helped me already: (1 )I started tutoring on the side. While this is still 100% sidewalk (trading time for money), it gives me teaching experience and lets me peek inside the tutoring industry. (2) I read the excellent thread on finding a mentor by first adding value: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...r-how-should-i-go-about-hitting-him-up.71658/. So I put together some thoughts on directions a professor could take her research and dropped them off. Maybe she’ll hire me as a post-doc. Or maybe not. Either way, I’ve demonstrated my value.

Currently reading: “Sprint,” by the Google Ventures team. It details a strategy to harness both independent thinking and group decision-making, with the goal of identifying a problem, prototyping a solution, and testing the prototype on your target audience in 5 days. I’m trying to figure out how to modify it for lab meetings, but it’s definitely designed for entrepreneurs and may be beneficial to some members of this forum.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hey there fellow scientist, I currently am a chemist at a plant in Indianapolis and intend to be an fastlaner. Unfortunately, hard sciences are difficult to steer into a fast lane venture without massive quantities of resources.

What I've seen that helped me be an entrepreneur is my experience with numbers and analytical skills can be utilized not only for data but the approach of executing an experiment along with data-heavy conclusions and how to improve or do it better for the next time around.

MRSSuply

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Nov 17, 2016
Georgia, USA
Hey there fellow scientist, I currently am a chemist at a plant in Indianapolis and intend to be an fastlaner. Unfortunately, hard sciences are difficult to steer into a fast lane venture without massive quantities of resources.

What I've seen that helped me be an entrepreneur is my experience with numbers and analytical skills can be utilized not only for data but the approach of executing an experiment along with data-heavy conclusions and how to improve or do it better for the next time around.

Yeah, that's what I was saying about help with experimental design and analysis. Are you saying these kinds of analyses don't need to be limited to large-scale projects? Or that they don't need to be limited to testing new ideas and could instead test a process that's currently being implemented? I agree with using conclusions to determine where we need to double down and where we need to pivot. Some people have great intuitions for business, but even the Greats have flops every once in a while, and it's nice to know sooner rather than later.

Do you have any (specific yet generalized - no need to give away your secrets) examples of where this has helped you? I imagine that "analysis paralysis" could hit entrepreneurs pretty hard. How do you decide when you've done enough research/analysis to inform your next steps?

MRSSuply

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Nov 17, 2016
Georgia, USA

Also, I just read your progress thread! Congratulations on your first sale - that is so awesome! You are on the move!

Glad kiddo is doing okay.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My husband and I also invest in real estate, which is our slow-lane foray.

While this is still 100% sidewalk (trading time for money)

When I read this, I thought to myself, "This person hasn't read Fastlane"

Then you confirmed it...

Hopefully you'll get more clarity on these things when you read the book.

From what I read in your introduction, you are more Fastlane than anything because everything starts in your head.

Welcome aboard. :)

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Yeah, that's what I was saying about help with experimental design and analysis. Are you saying these kinds of analyses don't need to be limited to large-scale projects? Or that they don't need to be limited to testing new ideas and could instead test a process that's currently being implemented? I agree with using conclusions to determine where we need to double down and where we need to pivot. Some people have great intuitions for business, but even the Greats have flops every once in a while, and it's nice to know sooner rather than later.

Do you have any (specific yet generalized - no need to give away your secrets) examples of where this has helped you? I imagine that "analysis paralysis" could hit entrepreneurs pretty hard. How do you decide when you've done enough research/analysis to inform your next steps?

I'm sure you are all caught up on my journey here on the forum. Honestly, I'm still new at the whole entrepreneur game, but I've experienced failed start-ups. I don't know if I can call myself a true entrepreneur yet because I'm not 100% self-reliant yet. However, what my analytical skills helped me in I actually write my own "conclusion" about how my experimented start-ups failed. I step aside and identify my flaws and try to address them in the next attempt. I've noticed that a huge problem of mine is procrastination, and I'm addressing that in a strange way that is actually working for me. I noticed that I procrastinate when I'm "stuck" or "bored". So what I do now is I "procrastinate" with work, when I get stuck I move onto another project that still keeps me productive and engaged. Then I'll actually have momentum and I go back and work even better.

Also, I just read your progress thread! Congratulations on your first sale - that is so awesome! You are on the move!

Glad kiddo is doing okay.

My daughter is doing great now, I swear those kids are made of tougher stuff than we adults are... but once again we were all kids once.

MRSSuply

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Nov 17, 2016
Georgia, USA
what my analytical skills helped me in I actually write my own "conclusion" about how my experimented start-ups failed. I step aside and identify my flaws and try to address them in the next attempt.

That's awesome! A great use of all your academic training (which, if done well, is basically just an intensive apprenticeship in critical thinking). And of course, real-world testing trumps all.

I've noticed that a huge problem of mine is procrastination, and I'm addressing that in a strange way that is actually working for me. I noticed that I procrastinate when I'm "stuck" or "bored". So what I do now is I "procrastinate" with work, when I get stuck I move onto another project that still keeps me productive and engaged. Then I'll actually have momentum and I go back and work even better.

I have this problem too. Having multiple projects is a great strategy because when you get stuck on one (because you're procrastinating, burnt out, or waiting on the next step of the work flow for reasons outside of your control), you can flip to the other. The important thing for me is to make sure I don't have so many projects that I never focus on any! Cal Newport says three projects is optimal for grad school (http://calnewport.com/blog/2009/03/12/some-thoughts-on-grad-school/ - see point #4 and #5). His reasoning seems like it could apply to start-ups too, though I could be persuaded otherwise if entrepreneurs I respect vehemently disagree.

I also use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/momentum/laookkfknpbbblfpciffpaejjkokdgca?hl=en. It's a chrome web browser extension that makes it so every time you open a new tab, the tab displays an inspirational quote, your most important task of the day, and your to-do list. So if I mindlessly open a new tab to go to Facebook, I see that and am reminded to go back to that most important task.

Looking forward to watching your progress! Best of luck and rooting for you!

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Ways I could offer value to MFF: I probably don’t have much to offer the forum

"au contraire ", if you allow me to use these french sentence.

people here want to be a milionaire or rich. ok this is great

we want money. ok

will it buy love ? will it buy hapiness ? it can certainly. it helps

but if we asked, bill gates , i don't think he would say that he lives in hapiness 100 % of the time like a giant orgasm all the day

he would say that he has got new problems that he didn't have before

he can't drive 5 cars at the same time and he can't sleep in 5 mansions at the same time

he will die like everyone and God won't allow him to bring his wealth in heaven.

in fact, maybe he will be laughed at by people in heaven because perhaps wealth was not the meaning of life

maybe it was love or understanding life, people or whatever

so what's your job here ?

bringing your unique point of view as a human being in order to help people understand what happiness and being rich really mean

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...