- Joined
- Feb 28, 2022
- Messages
- 4
Rep Bank
$150
$150
User Power: 25%
Hello, I am 40 year old grocery clerk who fell for the "you can be anything you want, do what you love" script. Sigh. DeMarco and I see jobs the same way, and so his book really resonated with me.
I have an educational background in Fine Arts and English literature, and when people would ask me what do I want to do with that? Be a teacher? I should've known something was wrong, because I never wanted to be a teacher. Nothing against teaching or teachers. They should be paid a lot more. It's just, I always wanted something different, but what I couldn't say.
One reason I studied English though was because I knew entering college there was still so much about the world that I would want to know and that reading would be a part of it. That was true. There was at least one smart thought I had when I was young! After working for a decade or so, I'm taking some more time for myself to dedicate to reading and learning, which is how and when I found MJ's books.
My dad was a business major and bought a franchise. Do you say, "bought a franchise?" Well, it didn't go well for him, and after reading MJ's book, I can kind of see why.
So I am working in a high end produce department in a trendy city on the west coast. I guess that makes that my domain experience. I am listening for ideas by hearing what people around me don't like or wish were different. Of course, I am interested in creating something valuable for people. I will say this, a lot of people have been using Instacart, including myself. And I say, I wish it did this or that.
I had some health issues at the end of last year and my vestibular system was affected and now I can't drive. Fortunately, the public transport is good. And also I now have extra time in the day to read Unscripted on the bus.
I have no idea how to contribute to this forum, but I'm eager to read the Gold and Notable posts to hopefully enrich what I've read so far of TMF and Unscripted.
Thanks for writing the book @MJ DeMarco
I have an educational background in Fine Arts and English literature, and when people would ask me what do I want to do with that? Be a teacher? I should've known something was wrong, because I never wanted to be a teacher. Nothing against teaching or teachers. They should be paid a lot more. It's just, I always wanted something different, but what I couldn't say.
One reason I studied English though was because I knew entering college there was still so much about the world that I would want to know and that reading would be a part of it. That was true. There was at least one smart thought I had when I was young! After working for a decade or so, I'm taking some more time for myself to dedicate to reading and learning, which is how and when I found MJ's books.
My dad was a business major and bought a franchise. Do you say, "bought a franchise?" Well, it didn't go well for him, and after reading MJ's book, I can kind of see why.
So I am working in a high end produce department in a trendy city on the west coast. I guess that makes that my domain experience. I am listening for ideas by hearing what people around me don't like or wish were different. Of course, I am interested in creating something valuable for people. I will say this, a lot of people have been using Instacart, including myself. And I say, I wish it did this or that.
I had some health issues at the end of last year and my vestibular system was affected and now I can't drive. Fortunately, the public transport is good. And also I now have extra time in the day to read Unscripted on the bus.
I have no idea how to contribute to this forum, but I'm eager to read the Gold and Notable posts to hopefully enrich what I've read so far of TMF and Unscripted.
Thanks for writing the book @MJ DeMarco
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
