The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from Ottawa! Female Entrepreneur Here

H.S. Ibrahim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 7, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Who I am and Where I am From

Hello everyone!

My name is Hodan. I'm a 23 yr old East-African gal born and raised in the boring,conservative, government town of Ottawa, Ontario. Consciously decided to become an entrepreneur in 2013 after living abroad and realizing I couldn't come back to Ottawa and become a government worker doing 9-5 like most people. I'm a self-taught online marketer and been writing content and publishing for years. Coming from a marginalized, under resourced community, the most my immigrant parents hoped for me was that I get a degree and a good job but after reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad when I was 20, I saw through all that and understood the rat race for what it really was--economic slavery. 2013 was a tough year to fight to just be myself and do what I felt was right in my heart despite being from a strict culture, especially on young woman.

I've been the classic black sheep for all my life. Being female in my community and deciding to be an 'entrepreneur' adds to that reputation. Even more so is my choice to move to Toronto to pursue my business ideas after reading MJ's post "How bad do you want it".

I found MJ DeMarco's Book randomly after doing youtube searches for entrepreneurial wisdom and have been reading this forum for a while, and it's honestly an emotional support system for me that I truly need and hope to contribute as much as I can.

Where do I hope to be someday?

I currently have a online startup(publishing/online media) serving a very focused niche. I hope to do what so very few in my community have been able to do which is to create a world class company doing what I love in the next 3-5 years and move someone WARM! :) I'm so very passionate about economic development and want to start a real estate development country in the future and help with infrastructure and business development in east Africa.

How you plan to get there:

1. Keep learning and hustling every day
2. Surround myself with wealthy entrepreneurs and success oriented people
3. Be hyper-focused on my goal until I get there and not let anything distract me
4. Learn and contribute to this forum until I get there

Thanks for reading :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Avisto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Mar 31, 2014
Mirrors my story a lot. Welcome to the forum. Another bit of advice - cut out negative people like a cancer, in addition to surrounding yourself with the wealthy/successful people that you seek. Negative people are an experiential cancer to your journey that should be swiftly routed out and discarded.

H.S. Ibrahim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 7, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey Avisto! :)

Thank you for your advice. It's something I need to be reminded of--that negative people should never ever be given space in your life.

I completely 100% agree. I'm actively finding a place in Toronto right now, even if it means just having a bed on the floor in a shared room with someone and vigorously meeting as many entrepreneurs and successful people as I can and working on my biz.

Part of growing up in an immigrant family is the feeling that you can't control your life 100% and make your own decisions. You have to consider everyone. Many people rely on your financially and even emotionally for you to do what's best for them. The easy answer would have been to continue teaching and even go become a provincially certified teacher to unlike a lot of other young woman my age with my same background, I just can't live with the regret of knowing that I did not follow what was true for me. I've seen so many people do that and it just motivates me to do the opposite. :)

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Welcome Hodan!

(I worked with a Hodan) :) I am from East Africa too, so it nice to have company! It is good you see society for what it is. A social slave enabling construct.

Do not worry about your immediate society. They mean well but it is the blind leading the blind. Congratulations on your focus! Cannot wait to read more about your journey!

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
and move someone WARM!

Amen. After this last winter from hell I realized my annual 2-3 week vacays just aren't going to cut it anymore...time to snow-bird my way out for the entire winter. Alot cheaper than you might think btw.

Welcome and good luck

H.S. Ibrahim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 7, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Welcome Hodan!

(I worked with a Hodan) :) I am from East Africa too, so it nice to have company! It is good you see society for what it is. A social slave enabling construct.

Do not worry about your immediate society. They mean well but it is the blind leading the blind. Congratulations on your focus! Cannot wait to read more about your journey!

Hey Nadia!!

Thanks for your advice and kind words :) The blind leading the blind is the best way to put it! Glad to know a fellow sista and will be following your journey as well!

H.S. Ibrahim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 7, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Amen. After this last winter from hell I realized my annual 2-3 week vacays just aren't going to cut it anymore...time to snow-bird my way out for the entire winter. Alot cheaper than you might think btw.

Welcome and good luck

Silverhawk581,

Thank you for your comments! I remember reading an incredible post about your journey on this forum! So inspiring!

I agree, this winter was the winter from hell and told myself that I will not go through another Canadian winter. Psychologically, I can only be productive in warm, sunny weather. Planning to relocate temporarily between Nov-March to escape the cold and perhaps go to Cali and connect with other successful entrepreneurs there.

This is the year of change and action :) :)

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Was looking at some archives from the forum and found this .....Any updates ? I think i know you ( Alliance Française ? )

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Glad to have you aboard Hodan. Inspired by your thoughts, I real wish all the very best to turn your ideas into reality. You are one aspirational women, real smart a true business leader sharing your journey scheduled to take place right.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...