Last year, I was admitted to the Computer Science Master's program at a branded Chinese university. I spent 3 months there as a postgrad.
My mentor, who guaranteed to pay me 1,000 CNY (about 140 USD) a month, ended up buying me a yet-to-be-assembled computer, worthy of 14,000 CNY, and told me: this is my money for the next 14 months. One of my roommates was asked to go to Shenzhen, working as a coder from 9AM to 11PM, Mon. to Sat. A month later, he received 1,500 CNY, and gave back 1,100 to his mentor. Another roommate suffers a camera over his office desk. His mentor ordered a doctor's candidate to develop a computer vision system, just to track their time at office.
Yes, Chinese higher education is very affordable: annual tuition & dormitory fee add up to 1,500 USD or less. But if it means working terribly hard for your mentor, and getting 5% paid as the market, and sacrificing self-esteem under cameras, it is undoubtedly irrational.
The Fastlane said it right: universities teach students to work for a company, and attach his whole life to a boss, overworking and low pay. This university ranks around 10 in my country, thus I guess it's 10th best to conduct this great deception.
So I dropped out last November. I started my business as an online teacher of collegiate Computer Science. Despite giving 1-to-1 live classes sometimes, I'm profiting as much as a tech giant programmer from recorded classes. I'm also writing exam-oriented reference books for future publication. (BTW Chinese students attach very very great importance to exams)
Thank you MJ, for enlightening me another possibility I never dared to dream of. I'm a starter. I've got a lot to learn. I'm provoking conventions. I love this path I'm on.
The paradox goes: my students say my courses prove helpful for the Postgrad Entrance Examination
My mentor, who guaranteed to pay me 1,000 CNY (about 140 USD) a month, ended up buying me a yet-to-be-assembled computer, worthy of 14,000 CNY, and told me: this is my money for the next 14 months. One of my roommates was asked to go to Shenzhen, working as a coder from 9AM to 11PM, Mon. to Sat. A month later, he received 1,500 CNY, and gave back 1,100 to his mentor. Another roommate suffers a camera over his office desk. His mentor ordered a doctor's candidate to develop a computer vision system, just to track their time at office.
Yes, Chinese higher education is very affordable: annual tuition & dormitory fee add up to 1,500 USD or less. But if it means working terribly hard for your mentor, and getting 5% paid as the market, and sacrificing self-esteem under cameras, it is undoubtedly irrational.
The Fastlane said it right: universities teach students to work for a company, and attach his whole life to a boss, overworking and low pay. This university ranks around 10 in my country, thus I guess it's 10th best to conduct this great deception.
So I dropped out last November. I started my business as an online teacher of collegiate Computer Science. Despite giving 1-to-1 live classes sometimes, I'm profiting as much as a tech giant programmer from recorded classes. I'm also writing exam-oriented reference books for future publication. (BTW Chinese students attach very very great importance to exams)
Thank you MJ, for enlightening me another possibility I never dared to dream of. I'm a starter. I've got a lot to learn. I'm provoking conventions. I love this path I'm on.
The paradox goes: my students say my courses prove helpful for the Postgrad Entrance Examination
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
