The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

heavy_industry Q2 health improvement

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I am a hardass on myself and others... but with the caffeine and nicotine thing, they are popular drugs for a reason.

Use them, don't let them use you. There is a sustainable way to include them in your life.

I see a lot of guys (I speak from experience) that get lost in the 'battle' with these things. Right now I have 1x green tea a day. The downsides barely exist and its 10x easier than zero caffeine.

Sustaining 90% of the way to perfect beats 2 weeks of 100% and then 2 weeks of 70% whilst beating yourself up the whole time. Waste of mental energy and focus.

Adherence is everything. Optimizing the last 10% (90->100%) takes disproportionately more effort and isn't worth it IMO.

Negotiate with yourself like you're coaching a family member you love.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 7/11
  • Nicotine: 2 mg
  • Diet adherence: 5/7 days

Notes:

Was not home for 2 days and I've fallen of the wagon MASSIVELY once again with my diet.

It's interesting how eating 1 tiny bit of chocolate can set a precedent and give you an excuse to keep cheating on the diet for the rest of the day.

Anyways, tomorrow starts a new week and the battle is on.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Week 7/11
  • Nicotine: 2 mg
  • Diet adherence: 5/7 days

Notes:

Was not home for 2 days and I've fallen of the wagon MASSIVELY once again with my diet.

It's interesting how eating 1 tiny bit of chocolate can set a precedent and give you an excuse to keep cheating on the diet for the rest of the day.

Anyways, tomorrow starts a new week and the battle is on.

Success isn't black and white, it's grey.

>85% adherence, you win. Stop being hard on yourself.

100% compliance is an illusion, don't view it as cheating.

My friends and I are top 0.01% physically with a big focus on being 0.01% mental performance too. We F*ck off all the time. But 95% of the time I'm dialed. My diet is based around meat/fruit/veggies/rice. And then maybe I have 0-500 calories of trash food a day if I feel like it (after work/workout, as to not impact performance).

It's sustainable, it takes 0% effort to eat like this because I can have junk every day if I want.
It doesn't touch my 'performance'.
I never 'fall off'/feel like I've cheated, go into binge/cheat cycles.

I've maintained this for 12 years and counting. From the outside, it looks like discipline, but really it's easy because it takes tiny amounts of effort to adhere to.

(don't mean to sound like a broken record, I just want you to get the best outcomes.)

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 8/11
  • Nicotine: 1 mg
  • Diet adherence: 7/7 days

Notes:

MASSIVE stress this week, but I've successfully managed to calm down, thanks to some amazing advice I've received from a fastlane legend.

3 more weeks until the end of Q2. Let's do this.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
progress pics? lifting vids?

Good job so far man.
Thanks man!

I've considered posting a pic at the end of the year. Things are already starting to look insane at 12% body fat.

As for the lifting vids... I'll have to wait until I squat 2 plates so am am no longer ashamed of myself. :playful:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Damn, impressive!
When I'll be at 8%, I'll laugh at my former self lol.

For me, achieving this is only possible through the mystical powers of ketone bodies.

I'm in love with this diet, but we're in an abusive relationship: I only get to eat once every 24 hours... on the days that I am in fact eating. All that while training 2 times / day.

The nice side effect of the keto diet paired with fasting is that it has a very strong anti-depressant effect, boosts cognition, and has magical effects on the brain that we don't yet fully understand.

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Nov 8, 2022

For me, achieving this is only possible through the mystical powers of ketone bodies.

I'm in love with this diet, but we're in an abusive relationship: I only get to eat once every 24 hours... on the days that I am in fact eating. All that while training 2 times / day.

The nice side effect of the keto diet paired with fasting is that it has a very strong anti-depressant effect, boosts cognition, and has magical effects on the brain that we don't yet fully understand.
Are your lifts improving?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Are your lifts improving?
Squat has dropped from 85kg to 70kg, but that's because I had an extensive deload after Q1.

Lifts are not improving (too much), but fat % is dropping, which is exactly what I'm shooting for right now.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Quick mid-week update, because something insane happened:

For the first time in many weeks, I've had a bunch of milk and 10 eggs. And my brain simply shut down.

In the span of 24h, my mood and cognition went from 9/10 (which has been the standard for the last few weeks) to 2/10. Massive tiredness, brain fog, fallen asleep 2 times during the day today, and woke up with a massive headache.

This is INSANE.

That was it. I'm done.
I'm removing dairy and eggs from my diet until the end of the year, when I'll be doing a proper allergy test.

Will only be having butter, which has trace levels of lactose and is likely not a problem.

machinistguy

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
Aug 22, 2022
DFW, Texas

For the first time in many weeks, I've had a bunch of milk and 10 eggs. And my brain simply shut down.

In the span of 24h, my mood and cognition went from 9/10 (which has been the standard for the last few weeks) to 2/10. Massive tiredness, brain fog, fallen asleep 2 times during the day today, and woke up with a massive headache.

This is INSANE.

That was it. I'm done.
I'm removing dairy and eggs from my diet until the end of the year, when I'll be doing a proper allergy test.

Will only be having butter, which has trace levels of lactose and is likely not a problem.
I tried pure carnivore and then with milk and eggs. The effect of milk and eggs depended on the brand. Usually grass-fed brands had less effects and the fresher the better. It might not be the milk/eggs so much as what they feed them.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 4, 2019

I just listened to a long podcast with a doctor who specializes in using a keto diet to treat depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, and other cognitive disorders. The effects vary from person to person, but there are lots of cases where switching to a keto diet completely reverses their condition. Pretty wild.

I tried it for about a month, but didn't really notice any cognitive improvements. I didn't test keytone levels so maybe something was off. I was also getting way too much saturated fat, and I'm not sure how to drop this to a healthy amount while still getting 3k calories/day.

I'm interested to hear what foods you typically eat in a day and what your calorie intake is (not sure if you already posted this in the thread somewhere).

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
It might not be the milk/eggs so much as what they feed them.
If I remember correctly, I've had a few eggs from grass-fed chicken 2-3 weeks ago, and the effects were not that bad.

But what happened yesterday/today is absolutely ridiculous. It's almost as if a switch has been flipped and lights went out. Even now I can barely type.

I'm glad that it happened, because now it's clear as day that I should avoid this food. The downside risk is simply not worth it.

I'm interested to hear what foods you typically eat in a day and what your calorie intake is (not sure if you already posted this in the thread somewhere).
A pound of meat, some butter, olive oil, broccoli, cabbage / other low carbs vegetables.

I never count calories and I believe this is a dysfunctional model for measuring the nutritional value of food.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 9/11
  • Nicotine: 1 mg
  • Diet adherence: 6/7 days

Notes:

Diet:

Successfully recovered from the insanity that happened 2-3 days ago.
Removed eggs and dairy from my diet. Energy, happiness and mental sharpness returned to baseline (8/10).

I don't care whether it's an allergy, intolerance, inflammatory response, or autoimmune issue. I am simply not going back to eating that. No benefits, and massive downside risk.

And I've just remembered that the exact same thing happened in Q1: ate a bunch of eggs and fell asleep in my office, woke up with massive depression and a headache:

Today I diverged from that and ate a full dark chocolate (very low sugar) and 10 eggs. I'm not exactly sure which one of them did it, but I had massive lethargy and fell asleep on my couch in mid day

That's enough proof for me. Eggs are removed from the menu indefinitely.

Nicotine: Quit vaping.
But started using chewing gums and will taper off this way.

Far from ideal, and I feel like a massive failure knowing that this addiction won't be over by the end of Q2, but at least my lungs are now clear from poison.

I will not get discouraged however.
I don't care how long it takes. I will eventually conquer.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Nicotine: Quit vaping.
Congrats!

But started using chewing gums and will taper off this way.

Far from ideal, and I feel like a massive failure knowing that this addiction won't be over by the end of Q2, but at least my lungs are now clear from poison.
My boyfriend quit vaping last year and it was a real struggle for him. He's been using pouches and is slowly decreasing usage. Not 100% ideal, but it's still far better than vaping. It was horrible/scary hearing him cough all the time.

I will eventually conquer.
Yes, you will! One foot in front of the other, one day at a time. Remember, there's power in small steps.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The downside risk is simply not worth it.

Bread and pasta does this to me.

It’s wild.

Bread makes my heart rate go up. I can feel my body going WTF? The same with sugar.

This is why I dropped beer/alcohol from my diet. The alcohol and the gluten is a double trouble.

Dairy free, sugar free, gluten free for sure.

It’s all the neuro-inflammation.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Week 10/11
  • Nicotine: Chewing gum
  • Diet adherence: 7/7 days

Notes:

Perfect diet adherence, removed all inflammatory foods (milk, eggs), and dove deeper into ketosis (increased fat %).

As a result of that, cognition exploded. Brain is firing on all cylinders. High motivation, insane focus, increased work output and productivity.

This is clearly the best strategy. And this is just the start of the journey. I have 6 more months of improvement until the end of the year.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I don't know it someone already mentioned it, but for quitting smoking I highly recommend reading (or listening to) Allen Carr's Easyway book. Someone on here once recommended it to me and it helped me to quit smoking without any "withdrawal" symptoms.

He writes in his book, that the physical withdrawal symptoms are so minimal that you hardly notice them at all. The nicotine is out of your body within 24 hours. Any symptom you feel long beyond that is not an actual physical withdrawal symptom, but your mind caused by the addiction.

farahead

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 25, 2023
Slovakia
Congrats on sticking to your diet for whole week!

What personally helped me was having a cheat day. (no rules at ALL)

I ate like absolute shit and it made me feel so bad i never returned back there. Ever. (ive had sugar twice during 3 months)

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali

This is INSANE.

That was it. I'm done.

Super common, good awareness. Dairy is an issue for 98% of people (sometimes they just don't know it lol).

If it's the eggs specifically, try duck eggs. When people react to chicken eggs it is a reaction to one of the proteins from the white. Duck eggs don't have it, so you might feel great with them (better taste IMO too).

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Quick mid-week update:

Last night I decided to not go to sleep and work all night. Not a very intelligent move.

In the morning I got a massive craving for carbs.

The answer was no.

I successfully defeated this obstacle and I'm looking forward to finishing the last week of Q2 at a perfect score.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Speaking very broadly, I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head but ghrelin (hunger hormone) doubles after a shit night's sleep.

Not only that, if you do give in to junk food, your blood sugar control is way worse.

Very rarely is something worth skipping sleep for.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Quick mid-week update:

Last night I decided to not go to sleep and work all night. Not a very intelligent move.

In the morning I got a massive craving for carbs.

The answer was no.

I successfully defeated this obstacle and I'm looking forward to finishing the last week of Q2 at a perfect score.
What diet are you on? I do where I only really eat things that our ancestors would eat. Any advice would be nice for tweaks, right now it’s vegetables, eggs, meat, nuts, and some fruit. Maybe high cocoa chocolate. (Yes I use stuff like butter, pb&J.)

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Thanks man!

I've considered posting a pic at the end of the year. Things are already starting to look insane at 12% body fat.

As for the lifting vids... I'll have to wait until I squat 2 plates so am am no longer ashamed of myself. :playful:

For the record, this feeling never goes away... :happy:.

I am embarrassed of my 4.5 plate (200kg) squat - I rarely squat (<see, look, insecure rationalization :playful:)

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
For the record, this feeling never goes away... :happy:.

I am embarrassed of my 4.5 plate (200kg) squat - I rarely squat (<see, look, insecure rationalization :playful:)

If that the game we're going to play, I would prefer to be embarrassed by my 200kg squat, rather than my 200kg body weight.

By the same token, if life is tragic, I would rather cry in my Lambo than cry on a bus.

You're killing it bro. :gold:

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
The answer was no.
My brother ignored those caveman instincts :rofl: , big ups for having the mental fortitude to ignore such a feeling.

What made you miss sleep? Something urgent, I assume?

I am embarrassed of my 4.5 plate (200kg) squat
criminal-faint.gif

You're doing fantastic, man! That is well above average!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
What made you miss sleep? Something urgent, I assume?
Decided to pull an all-nighter to "get more work done"...

The last 3 days have been characterized by horribly low mood and -80% productivity.

This was the last time I'm doing this kind of experiment. Sleep is king.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.