The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Having massive struggles finding the way to becoming rich

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This thread has been very valuable for me.

I've been trying to think of new service that could help early-stage entrepreneurs such as yourself, and the new product is called: I will build your business for you.

I will make that offer to the OP also. I will build an ecommerce business for you. I will import the product including purchasing inventory, set up your ecommerce store and list it on Amazon and manage it for 6 months. After 6 months I will hand it over to you for you to run.

Cost: $70,000

You don't need to read any books this way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
Since we are talking about mindset, dunno if this is a silly question but do I genuinely need to change my reasoning to why I want to start a business? I assume a reason like "provide value to others" is probably a good reason but what if its not genuine? Should I not do an endeavor until I 100% think like that?

For me there are two different WHYs.

First there is my reason to be an entrepeneur - it helped me make the decision to not take a job but start a business instead.
This reason is selfish and egoistic:
Financial freedom, not throwing my life away, watching my future children grow up.

Then there is a reason why I chose my specific business - right now I create websites for my clients.
This reason is focused on the market:
Create more customers, create better customers and optimize the sales process.

One reason to be an entrepeneur, one reason to be in your specific business.

Dividing these two helped me a lot.

But I'm neither rich nor successfull - so maybe I'm completly wrong.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I thought most entrepreneurs hate the process? Like its alot of fustration, working 14 hours a day, feeling like you want to quit every day? Is that not an accurate picture?
Yeah - rip-off artists who refer to themselves as entrepreneurs, running away with people's money while not delivering whatever was promised in exchange of the money.

Last edited:

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
You're like the dog laying on the nail. It hurts, but not bad enough to get up off it.

Spend a few more years on the path you're on and maybe then it will be painful enough to get your a$$ in gear.

Your expectations are also unreasonable. It's gonna take 10x as much effort and time as you think it is, no matter what path you choose. Also, passion comes after, not before. It's hard to be passionate about something you're not that good at and don't get positive results from. Do the work, then get the results, then feel passion.

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
I will make that offer to the OP also. I will build an ecommerce business for you. I will import the product including purchasing inventory, set up your ecommerce store and list it on Amazon and manage it for 6 months. After 6 months I will hand it over to you for you to run.

I would bet that I could give the OP a product, a website, the start of a marketing plan, plus fulfill the orders for him and he still wouldn't do it. Too many excuses.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I would bet that I could give the OP a product, a website, the start of a marketing plan, plus fulfill the orders for him and he still wouldn't do it. Too many excuses.

Yes, that's why it would cost him $70,000.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
This pops up infrequently, here and there, but it is not the prevailing feeling. The prevailing feeling is being FREE and in control over your choices. (Which many times does result in working 14 hour days, but others, none.)

I agree.

People have given you a direction to take. But you don't want to take it -- you want to ask more questions in search of the juicy shortcut. (Because by God, reading two books and some GOLD/NOTABLE threads might take me 30 hours! That's too much of my time! Here's another question! Give me the shortcut!!)

First rule of mentorship -- do what your mentor says. If you refuse, you're fired. Imagine if Luke rebuked Obi Wan (light saber? That's a worthless ancient weapon!) there'd be NO story, NO transformation, and NO heroes journey... nope, Luke would remain a miserable farmer.

So once again, are you going to DO what was asked? Or are you gonna continue to fight it?
I am doing what's asked, the only reason I am responding cause more stuff is coming up but ok this will be the last few posts I will respond to then I will be back in a week.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

Don't know if I am ready for that. But anyways see you guys in a week or so I will be reading the rest of the stuff.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Well guys I am back after abit, I have read all of the gold/notable posts, I have watched the Andy Black radio interview, and some other videos, I have read both of Mj's books. And also thinking about the stuff you guys wrote, (Just got to watch one recommendation someone made, but thought I am ready to post back now) and can I just say HOLY SHIT no joke everything has changed, even though I have been reading all this stuff everything changed within 1 day. I want to start of by saying thank you so F*cking much to everyone for providing their advice on this thread, it helped a TON. To be honest I think it helped me more than the books and the threads. As I went reading over all this stuff you guys wrote a few days ago, I started thinking about my mindset and everything changed. I realized quickly my WHOLE problem was my mindset, after a F*cking year of going through the same struggle asking the same question over and over YOU guys solved it, I made an analogy to my self that applies also if I want to be an entrepreneur. As you guys mentioned I wanted my own selfish desires not provide value to others or help others, it was just about me and my goals. But the analogy I had was "business is similar to a job you get paid to do a service for other people or to help them, you don't get paid to do your desires" if that makes sense. Same as business I realized that I would never become successful if I was just thinking on my self, funny thing is it seems like I knew this stuff like it all makes sense like for example always provide the best customer service you can, focus on the customer etc. But was never ingrained as part of my mindset, I thought for the last 2 years I was thinking like an entrepreneur turns out I was a wantrepreneur I just talked ideas all day but no action. But the best thing is with this total shift in my mindset, I feel free of this curse of thinking about money, how I am going to become rich. And the second best thing is that I GENUINENLY don't care about financial goals as I used to, its not on my mind like it was before. I really want to provide value. Though I was worried I would have to fake it to made it, but glad there is no need. Also thank you to Mj for the books even though I didn't find it helpful as the comments on this thread there were some chapters that did get me thinking, and they definently helped.

I think I know what I need to do now, I need to find a problem one that affects millions of people and see how I can solve it. Or a product that will bring value to them. And I need to stick to it. I am going to read 4 more books that revolve around entrepreneurship (reason is I wanted to get more educated in entrepreneurship/business, hopefully gain some insight of how I can provide more value to people) After this I am going to finally take action, enough books and talking and having ideas.

Also you guys were right the book answered my questions, so I decided to leave the real estate investment stuff, the passive income stuff (done with this crap just feels like I was trying to make money fast and definently not a fastlane business), though I did keep day trading. But definently majority of time will be spend on my future business.

One thing I wanted to ask, MJ DeMarco said in Unscripted "before you can do what you love, you have to do what you hate".
In this thread JScott wrote "Look, entrepreneurship isn't for everyone. And if you hate the process, not only will it make you miserable, but you WILL NOT succeed." But how can you enjoy the process if you hate doing the work? Or do you get a good feeling after you do the work? I get it was posted from 2 different people but I am assuming MJ enjoyed the process. What am I missing?

So thanks again guys.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
You're not going to love every part of everything you do. But you have to love the thing enough to be happily willing to put up with the parts you don't like. There are parts of entrepreneurship that I very much dislike (sales, raising capital, creating marketing collateral, etc), but all the other stuff is so great (both the process and the payoff) that I'm willing to trudge through the parts that I hate.

If I hated the entire process, I wouldn't do it. For me, the ends generally don't justify the means, and I wouldn't spend 5, 10 or 20 years being absolutely miserable just to make some money (at least not on purpose).

Ah I see that makes sense.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You had an epiphany. Good.

Now what action will you take?

You said read some more books. Ok. You said you would think. Ok.

You need to take ACTION. DO.

Jose L. Nimmons

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Jul 31, 2017
Tempe, AZ
1. Adopt the producer mentality
You must make a major shift from being a consumer to producer
2. Sacrifice
The great majority of people are afraid to make sacrifices because they think they'll lose something. The single mother won't buy a $20 book that will help her earn $20,000 extra dollars.
3. Only do wealthy activities
The number one wealth killer is when a person of promise hangs out in places of poverty. Many times, people put themselves in poor places, which surrounds them with poor people. Get away from poor places if you want to avoid poor people. Dwelling along with poor people in poor places will never make you rich.
5. Use your gifts
Everyone is naturally gifted. Some people have many gifts, while others only have one. Nonetheless, you must realize your gifts and use them. Many times, people will downplay their gifts and even allow others to do it. However, you should cultivate your gifts and surround yourself with people who support it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But how can you enjoy the process if you hate doing the work? Or do you get a good feeling after you do the work?

Did you skip the part about the Motivation Cycle? The Value Challenge? Your answers are there.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
the value challenge was horrible for me, everyone is a miserable ***** in downtown vancouver, ALTHOUGH i noticed though in smaller communities people SOMETIMES smile back, or in super rich areas older people will initiate a hello, thats happened quite a few times when i walk by the beach in the 0.000001% area of kits

D

Deleted50669

Hello everyone I have had this problem for over a year now. Especially the last few months my spirit feels dead almost on the verge of giving up, I want to become a millionaire before I am 30 or at least financially free so I don't have to work anymore. There are only a few things I want in life, my favorite car which with these modifications I want will cost around 130k I estimate at the absolute max. I want a few investment properties for passive income, and my own house. My life style would be very simple, I would be sitting at home all day doing stuff similar to what I do now but not have all these struggles. But here is the hard part and for the last 2 years almost 3 I feel like I have been wasting my life away. So I been trying to achieve this goal ever since I was 18 almost 21 now. And I have tried a few different things, coding, certain types of investing, lately been trying some new things and those I think I will not pursue. And nothing is working I constantly face these challenges where something gets too hard and I burn out very quickly and give up, but I am not passionate about those stuff either. This is coding I am talking about for example, I have decided recently to quit it as its not for me. But I can't find a SINGLE thing that I am 100% sure about that I will do to become rich. There is no passionate its just money going through my head and its really pissing me off, wanting to achieve this goal so bad but no clear direction, trying a bunch of things, getting desperate and even looking at how to make money fast. (I wouldn't do this or fall into any scams but its stuff I type in when I burn out). Now I have decided to do day trading stocks to see if that's my passion. I have come to the conclusion lately, to achieve my dreams I am not a hard worker and there is laziness in me, I have been working on this but its still bad and I don't know if it's because I haven't found something I am passionate about or I am just purely lazy. Or is maybe the road to success supposed to be boring and very stressful? If so that's fair enough but I just need help to choose ONE course and stick with it, but I am instead desperately trying new things.

I don't know what to do this has been going on for a while and I am getting sick and tired of it, I just really need some guidance. A step by step process would be awesome, thanks.

Why are you asking how to be rich? Ask how to provide value for someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Did you skip the part about the Motivation Cycle? The Value Challenge? Your answers are there.
Don't think I did, but might of by accident I'll go back and check.

Edit: Found it I believe its the part where you said help someone in the next thirty days. Bit scared for that challenge tbh lol, but will do it just thinking where to start.

Last edited:

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
2. Sacrifice
The great majority of people are afraid to make sacrifices because they think they'll lose something. The single mother won't buy a $20 book that will help her earn $20,000 extra dollars.
The number one wealth killer is when a person of promise hangs out in places of poverty. Many times, people put themselves in poor places, which surrounds them with poor people. Get away from poor places if you want to avoid poor people. Dwelling along with poor people in poor places will never make you rich.
5. Use your gifts
Everyone is naturally gifted. Some people have many gifts, while others only have one. Nonetheless, you must realize your gifts and use them. Many times, people will downplay their gifts and even allow others to do it. However, you should cultivate your gifts and surround yourself with people who support it.
Thanks for advice.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
This part here you wrote in the book "You should feel good, maybe even a rush of excitement" I definently used to get this feeling when I was a kid helped people fix their pc. Was an amazing feeling, really was happy that I helped someone. Though the helping part of me died over the years, but I believe its back now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted49964

But how can you enjoy the process if you hate doing the work? What am I missing?

Your purpose compels your action, your action gets results, results motivate you.

If you hate doing the work, it's because of one of these:
1. Your purpose is not clear and doesn't push you.
2. Your actions are ineffective and don't get results.

Either way, I find that the more a person clings to their feelings, the stronger they become.

Simply ignore your feelings and focus on your purpose. All of the "dislike" is suddenly gone.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Ok, so I'll go back to basics. I actually did have an idea which would involve an app, I tried to work on it my self but was a failure I think I would have to pay a developer. But what would I do, I don't know what skills I have to help the idea.

So much has already been said in this thread, but I feel compelled to answer this one. Here is why. I am a Developer, Entrepreneur and always have been including when I was 18 years old. I actually made my first million by the time I was 18. I made a few more when I was 18. I lost it all by the time I was 21 and started over in debt by over 180,000 and without home, car. That was in 1990 money. Why? Because I didn't respect the value vouchers or the value creation. I did however pursue my passion which was and still is development.

I ended up making a lot more later also using development only until I could afford to build on and hire developers.

Anyway why am I saying this? Because I can relate. At 18 I thought I knew a lot more than I did. I was lucky but I was definitely a very hard worker. One thing I did learn at 18 were that ideas were useless. Everyone has great ideas. Hardly anyone could execute on them. Those that could execute on their ideas tended to do better than not, but most of the ideas were still shit and didn't make them money. It was the hard work put in, the lessons learned, the persistence to find the thing that does work.

So my moment of helping you is this. Instead of looking to pay a Developer, actually learn to build that App yourself. At least get it a lot of the way into some Minimum Viable Product (look it up) or Prototype so that you could attract additional help. No one will fund your idea for reasons I mentioned above. There are a lot of good ideas. No real developer will do this work for you again, for the same reasons. BUT if you put the effort in, and if the idea is a good one, you CAN attract the money and help. You MUST prove yourself first.
  • Prove you are willing to put the work in necessary to see your App idea get somewhere
  • Prove you are more sold on the idea than anyone else in the whole world is
  • Prove to yourself you can learn and do some (trust me this is valuable throughout your life)
  • Prove you can create value with the idea at all
If you are asking for a handout, you likely won't get one. If you are trying to pursue your passion, then as it has been said, that is mostly not going to work out for yourself. In particular if your passion is selfish based, which you have mentioned earlier in the thread. If you are thinking about me, me, me then you won't get much in the way of money. Give people something they want, even if it is not something you are passionate about yourself, and you will get no end to the value vouchers coming your way.

At your age when I was making money, good money, I thought of all the selfish things I would do with it, and trust me, I did all my little dumb heart desired. But I also knew, fortunately, at that age no one was going to give me a penny if I didn't give them something. Sometimes that was software they needed. For that time period in my life, I was selling financial instruments that promised more than they delivered so essentially was satisfying and taking advantage of other peoples greed. But in the end I thought of the money as just that, not as value. I lost it all. I at least worked my tail off for it. I here a lot of my own internal dialog at your age in what you say.

So please, pick an idea like this app. Then do the work it requires to get it somewhere. Then come back here and show the effort put into it. Read the books for real. Re-evaluate where you are in life at such a tender young age and the wide open opportunities you have before you. Open your mind. Make learning your passion. Make action your passion. Make value creation your passion.

If you do want money from me however, please figure out how to get rid of the fog over Pismo Beach so my view is forever good. I would pay handsomely for that. There is a money making idea for you. Now hop to it!

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
So much has already been said in this thread, but I feel compelled to answer this one. Here is why. I am a Developer, Entrepreneur and always have been including when I was 18 years old. I actually made my first million by the time I was 18. I made a few more when I was 18. I lost it all by the time I was 21 and started over in debt by over 180,000 and without home, car. That was in 1990 money. Why? Because I didn't respect the value vouchers or the value creation. I did however pursue my passion which was and still is development.

I ended up making a lot more later also using development only until I could afford to build on and hire developers.

Anyway why am I saying this? Because I can relate. At 18 I thought I knew a lot more than I did. I was lucky but I was definitely a very hard worker. One thing I did learn at 18 were that ideas were useless. Everyone has great ideas. Hardly anyone could execute on them. Those that could execute on their ideas tended to do better than not, but most of the ideas were still shit and didn't make them money. It was the hard work put in, the lessons learned, the persistence to find the thing that does work.

So my moment of helping you is this. Instead of looking to pay a Developer, actually learn to build that App yourself. At least get it a lot of the way into some Minimum Viable Product (look it up) or Prototype so that you could attract additional help. No one will fund your idea for reasons I mentioned above. There are a lot of good ideas. No real developer will do this work for you again, for the same reasons. BUT if you put the effort in, and if the idea is a good one, you CAN attract the money and help. You MUST prove yourself first.
  • Prove you are willing to put the work in necessary to see your App idea get somewhere
  • Prove you are more sold on the idea than anyone else in the whole world is
  • Prove to yourself you can learn and do some (trust me this is valuable throughout your life)
  • Prove you can create value with the idea at all
If you are asking for a handout, you likely won't get one. If you are trying to pursue your passion, then as it has been said, that is mostly not going to work out for yourself. In particular if your passion is selfish based, which you have mentioned earlier in the thread. If you are thinking about me, me, me then you won't get much in the way of money. Give people something they want, even if it is not something you are passionate about yourself, and you will get no end to the value vouchers coming your way.

At your age when I was making money, good money, I thought of all the selfish things I would do with it, and trust me, I did all my little dumb heart desired. But I also knew, fortunately, at that age no one was going to give me a penny if I didn't give them something. Sometimes that was software they needed. For that time period in my life, I was selling financial instruments that promised more than they delivered so essentially was satisfying and taking advantage of other peoples greed. But in the end I thought of the money as just that, not as value. I lost it all. I at least worked my tail off for it. I here a lot of my own internal dialog at your age in what you say.

So please, pick an idea like this app. Then do the work it requires to get it somewhere. Then come back here and show the effort put into it. Read the books for real. Re-evaluate where you are in life at such a tender young age and the wide open opportunities you have before you. Open your mind. Make learning your passion. Make action your passion. Make value creation your passion.

If you do want money from me however, please figure out how to get rid of the fog over Pismo Beach so my view is forever good. I would pay handsomely for that. There is a money making idea for you. Now hop to it!
Million by 18? Nice! But there's probably no chance I am going back to coding, I have had enough of it and definently isn't for me. I also read some thread that said spending 1000 hours to learn to code to spend 200 hours to make an app is stupid. I agree, I think time can be spent better in other areas. You didn't read my post above, I read the book....and some other stuff...

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
2. Sacrifice
5. Use your gifts
Hmm not too sure what my gifts are but these are probably the closest. I am good at simplifying something or teaching something to somebody. If I am well educated on a topic I could explain it so easily that even a 5 year could understand it.

batagolek

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Jul 25, 2017
Malaysia
should be like this bro : Having massive struggles finding the way to add massive values to millions of people around the world...and getting paid for it

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Me,me,me. I, I, I.

No mention of value or what you're going to bring to the table. What are you supposed to be getting rewarded for then?

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Million by 18? Nice! But there's probably no chance I am going back to coding, I have had enough of it and definently isn't for me. I also read some thread that said spending 1000 hours to learn to code to spend 200 hours to make an app is stupid. I agree, I think time can be spent better in other areas. You didn't read my post above, I read the book....and some other stuff...

OK, well I did read your post. All of them in this thread. But there is reading the books, and reading, understanding, and learning from the books.

Also the point about App is certainly appropriate for many apps. However consider this. The opportunity is the learning. Spending the 1200 hours to learn and create something. That is incredibly valuable in ways that are hard to explain to you not having done it. You will end up with a higher value skill that will translate into higher value vouchers for the same time spent. So even if you didn't make a penny off your app, you will be able to sell your skill to bidder online easily for 75-150 per hour programming their apps.

Also Apps can absolutely make money. My last company started with a demo app I wrote, and SDK we wrote that the demo app called to raise 2.5 million dollars. 3 years after that our company sold north of $100 million dollars as reported by Fortune to Alibaba. It was still an "app" SDK. 6 of my developers where new, young (19yo +) and invested in the company time, stock wise. All did pretty good from this as you can imagine. It was risky. It wasn't a guarantee. But the learning is what got them there. The drive for something better is why they stayed and dealt with the struggles. Oh and they were paid very well for all of it during and after.

Where I am spending my time now is essentially an app/platform company publicly traded, worth north of a billion dollars.

So yes, apps are a thing if correctly done. If you don't value your idea enough to spend the 1200 hours you mention, then it wasn't a good idea. If you believe in yourself and your ideas, then no amount of effort is intimidating enough to prevent you from doing it. This is the 'Why" mentioned in Unscripted that drives people. At your stage you probably need a little more learning to help. Again, I do hope you find your Why and when you do you will see it through. If your Why is just wanting to be rich, then it probably isn't compelling enough of a Why yet.

I wish you all the best in your journey and I will be reading about your progress. I do hope you can make it. I think with enough soul searching, maturing, continued growth and learning, you will get there. Don't give up!

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
OK, well I did read your post. All of them in this thread. But there is reading the books, and reading, understanding, and learning from the books.

Also the point about App is certainly appropriate for many apps. However consider this. The opportunity is the learning. Spending the 1200 hours to learn and create something. That is incredibly valuable in ways that are hard to explain to you not having done it. You will end up with a higher value skill that will translate into higher value vouchers for the same time spent. So even if you didn't make a penny off your app, you will be able to sell your skill to bidder online easily for 75-150 per hour programming their apps.

Also Apps can absolutely make money. My last company started with a demo app I wrote, and SDK we wrote that the demo app called to raise 2.5 million dollars. 3 years after that our company sold north of $100 million dollars as reported by Fortune to Alibaba. It was still an "app" SDK. 6 of my developers where new, young (19yo +) and invested in the company time, stock wise. All did pretty good from this as you can imagine. It was risky. It wasn't a guarantee. But the learning is what got them there. The drive for something better is why they stayed and dealt with the struggles. Oh and they were paid very well for all of it during and after.

Where I am spending my time now is essentially an app/platform company publicly traded, worth north of a billion dollars.

So yes, apps are a thing if correctly done. If you don't value your idea enough to spend the 1200 hours you mention, then it wasn't a good idea. If you believe in yourself and your ideas, then no amount of effort is intimidating enough to prevent you from doing it. This is the 'Why" mentioned in Unscripted that drives people. At your stage you probably need a little more learning to help. Again, I do hope you find your Why and when you do you will see it through. If your Why is just wanting to be rich, then it probably isn't compelling enough of a Why yet.

I wish you all the best in your journey and I will be reading about your progress. I do hope you can make it. I think with enough soul searching, maturing, continued growth and learning, you will get there. Don't give up!
I did have an idea for a productivity app, and it probably shouldn't be too hard to make. But what if I wanted to make something like what'sapp or whatever? I have spoken with one programmer he was talking about the client side and the server side, like it would take a year to get comfortable with each. For me if I do go down the apps path its not about making money now, its just providing an app that will provide value for someone else. Maybe if I am avoiding the coding I can either skip the app idea or something.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.