The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have no direction with my career, advice needed

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Wasn't sure where to post this as i feel this is a success / failure in my life. If this needs to be moved somewhere else please move it to the appropriate section.

I am looking for advice with my career. By trade i am a computer programmer / website developer. Not a very good one though. Im learning to code and its very difficult for me as im having issues as time goes on. Im not good at math so that is out of the question as well. I am very into fitness but a personal trainer does not pay well. I am also a business owner (website design) but i only have one client. So money right now is not stable by any means and i am very low on money. - I am 34 years old, yes i know its a late start to find a new career but i know better later than never, right? Also i want to add i did not go to college, i took some courses and a coding bootcamp last year but did not graduate from an actual university. I am lost with my career / how to make money and looking for some guidance.

Crissco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
What advice are you looking for? To be blunt, it looks like you don't have the self discipline/mental will power to put forth the effort needed to succeed in the field you chose. If you can pivot to something else and put more effort, you'll be fine. Do you have a steady job right now, or the resume to get one? I'd start there and then eventually switch jobs into something that would benefit you long term like sales while working on your business on the wekeends.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Your post reeks of doubt, pity, and loathing.
Step one is to rid yourself of that mentality, because if it's visible in your written text, it is visible in every other facet of your life and how the world around you responds to you.
Nobody wants to help someone with such negative qualities.

Once you get past that hurdle, it's relatively simple (but not easy). Just pick a direction(i.e. industry/market) you are intrigued with and commit all the way.

You'll have to fight your way to the top, do you have what it takes?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@Crissco

how can we help?

what one thing that if you started doing consistently right now would have the biggest impact on your life?

Discipline = freedom.

What do you do to train your discipline? It’s like a muscle.

what do you do to train your mindset? Mindset isn’t fixed.

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
Wasn't sure where to post this as i feel this is a success / failure in my life. If this needs to be moved somewhere else please move it to the appropriate section.

I am looking for advice with my career. By trade i am a computer programmer / website developer. Not a very good one though. Im learning to code and its very difficult for me as im having issues as time goes on. Im not good at math so that is out of the question as well. I am very into fitness but a personal trainer does not pay well. I am also a business owner (website design) but i only have one client. So money right now is not stable by any means and i am very low on money. - I am 34 years old, yes i know its a late start to find a new career but i know better later than never, right? Also i want to add i did not go to college, i took some courses and a coding bootcamp last year but did not graduate from an actual university. I am lost with my career / how to make money and looking for some guidance.

Crissco
I'm learning to code too. When you get really good, you can post your resume and portfolio of projects on LinkedIn and your landing page for your business.

When low on customers, marketing is your best friend. You'll have to invest in adds (youtube, Facebook, Google), cold emails, and seo. You'll have to pick a niche as well since the web is huge. But choose one where the business can afford it.

Also, don't waste time. When you sit around and think about fear or doubt, the world will keep spinning and your grip on opportunity will slip further and further away.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I volunteer and see another thing in younger people often.

You experience setbacks. These are signs of effort, not failure. Setbacks come with striving, and striving builds expertise. This type of learning changes your brain, it makes new connections and builds new mental models. You are increasing your capability.

The conclusion here is very powerful: your abilities lie to a large degree within your own control. Knowing this makes the difficulties worth tackling.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
If you know my history I was having 2-3 chicks over a night, had up to 22 numbers in a day from OLD, had 13 girls over in a week. Pretty much for 5-6 years of OBSESSING over pick up / seduction I did damn well. Now I have to apply that obsession to business and money.

Any advice?
Surely there's a market for this.

Haven't read all your other ask for help threads (there's quite a few) , one of them had 77replies.

I wish I'd got so much help when I first joined here.
I've had to search the forum myself.

Last edited:

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Hard to assess your skills from the information given.

Not a very good programmer - what does it mean exactly? Most people with a computer science B.Sc. who worked at Google or Facebook for 2-3 years are not very good, because less than 1% are very good. Or is it more like you have only ever made $100 from programming and that was for doing HTML for your uncle?

Same about fitness, what does it mean you are "very much into fitness"? Do you work out 5-6 days a week for 30 minutes a day? Or for 3 hours a day? Have you competed in something? Have you been pursuing your fitness field for 5 years or for 25?

This information is enormously important to assess, how much you can realistically make from one or the other field in, say, the next year. You obviously can't assess your own level, so find someone who can.

From my experience with fitness, if you have a field that you consistently worked on for a few years and have at least 1,500-2,000 hours of focused experience, you can start thinking about making some side cash. If fitness was your top life priority for 5-7 years and you've had at least 5,000 hours of focused experience, you can probably make a (poor) living by doing it, so long as you can teach and have an OK character. By making a living I mean rent & food. Then as you start the journey, you'll eventually figure out how to make more if you stick with it. But you really have to love it. If it's just for money, you'll burn out; better go become a barista at Starbucks and grow a career from there (and finish college in the meantime, they may even help you out).

Overall business is something long-term; you need to find a sustainable way of making money with your current skills (or slightly upgraded) while you pursue your long-term goals. A classic example is that you work 40 hours/week at some low-level job that you hate (or love) while upgrading your skills in the spare time. So long as you are making enough money for food & rent and aren't completely exhausted at the end of the day, you then use your spare time to, say, become a better programmer. After 2-3-4-5 years you then get a programming job that pays you more and hopefully also leaves you less exhausted. Then you throw all your energy into becoming even better, keeping that job and getting promoted. After 1-2 years you can refocus, treat that new programming job as the day job and use your spare time to push yourself into some new direction... or if it is sustainable, you can already start working some day job and work on a business idea in your spare time. It may or may not work for you; impossible to tell without knowing you, but some people pull it off this way.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.