The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have A Big Ego?.. Read This!

Anything related to matters of the mind

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
This is posted in the Mindset forum because your ego can be a deciding factor on the time that it will take to you enter the fastlane.

Everyone one of us an ego, and You alone are the one who decides whether it is big or non-existent.

I am not afraid to state it, but I had a huge ego 2 years ago, I was also extremely arrogant, so it made a perfect combination to keep me from moving forward and spotting opportunities.

When you have a big ego, people notice and will begin to limit their time with you.
People will not be as friendly to you because "You are always right, and everyone else is the idiot."

When you begin thinking that you are the best at everything, you are already closing doors that could of carried opportunities. The biggest door that you are closing is Networking.

You must build a team if you want to get onto the fastlane. If you think you can do it all yourself, go ahead, see how far you go without making the least amount of mistakes.

The combination of arrogancy and a big ego puts limits on your window to spot Opportunities.

Most of the time (with a big ego) you will be thinking about yourself and how to make yourself look the best. With all your efforts channeling toward yourself, you glance over daily problems thinking that you are too important to waste your time playing with programs or materials. This is what I call an Ego-Trap. Once you begin to think to highly of yourself, your cockiness and ego begins to overshadow your common thought process.

Egos are like a dark cloud on a sunny day. Once it goes in front of the sun, the land goes dark and you see less. When the sun is shining you see everything better and you can go back to enjoying the sun. This is how your ego works in your body. As your ego grows, your gut instinct, thinking and decision making begins to erode with thoughts on how you will look and be able to gloat after you accomplish something. This can lead to bad decision making and result in an outcome that you could of probably avoided if you were thinking clearly.

Now, here are the 2 toughest parts to overcome.

1. Admitting to yourself that you have become egocentric and arrogant.

and

2. Overcoming your ego and learning to control it.

1. Admitting to yourself is a very hard part to do. This can take days or weeks, but it is a mental game that your true inner self must win. Find something that makes you smile or laugh from deep inside. Do something that brings calmness to you. That is where you will find your true self.

2. Once you find your true self, begin to go out and see where you can help others. It can be helping someone with a task they are struggling with or paying for someone's meal. Do not do it for yourself, do it to see that there are people that are less fortunate than you are and be grateful for all that you have. After you begin doing this, you will begin to see the world around in a different perspective. Your habits and stress levels will change. You will begin to see things from an optimistic viewpoint. You will begin to see those opportunities!

I hope this helps anyone who is struggling. Remember there is always someone that has it worse than you and be grateful what you have. You are here on this earth to do something great. Follow your passions and inner-self.

Cheers-:cheers:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
YOU are too young to be this smart...or
YOU are too smart to be this young..... DAMMIT! lol

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Legendary Post. Lamboman, sometimes, you just amaze me.

Rep speed.

Been a while since I've used this:

:95mph:

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is why I hate gurus ... it implies "know-it-all" status. Gurus are all ego. A real guru admits he doesn't have all the answers and is constantly striving for improvement and knowledge. Awesome post ... speed+

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
YOU are too young to be this smart...or
YOU are too smart to be this young..... DAMN it! lol

Thank you everyone for your thank yous, kind remarks and rep.

While I do not consider myself a genius or even that book smart, I can say that I have had the advantage of experiencing life outside a safety zone at an early age. It really does not matter what school you go to learn; some of the best lessons learned are from living life.

This is why I hate gurus ... it implies "know-it-all" status. Gurus are all ego. A real guru admits he doesn't have all the answers and is constantly striving for improvement and knowledge. Awesome post ... speed+

I can agree with this wholeheartedly. I believe that my arrogancy started after reading a couple of Kyosaki's books and watching him on TV. While not trying to trash him completely since his books is where my financial education began, but he does like to speak highly of himself. ;)

w4rl0rdx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 2, 2009
Michigan

Is it the Ego or is it the sales copy? The main reason they become a "guru" so to speak is to mainly pose as an authoritative figure in whatever market they are trying to sell you they're product in.

After all, all that really matters is the number of sales they make off you at the end of the day.

But hey what do I know, I'm just a noob w/o a marketing degree. :rofl::thumbsup::rofl:

BigEasy25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 4, 2010
New Orleans, LA
An ego can be your own worst enemy! Have confidence and control but leave the ego out and you will be much better off. Great post Lamboman!!!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Is it the Ego or is it the sales copy? The main reason they become a "guru" so to speak is to mainly pose as an authoritative figure in whatever market they are trying to sell you they're product in.

After all, all that really matters is the number of sales they make off you at the end of the day.

But hey what do I know, I'm just a noob w/o a marketing degree.:

I'm hoping that you're laughing at the relative importance of your degree, and not making some comment on supposed expertise drawn from books. Many of us here are degreed, but we have found that the real world oftentimes does not reflect what is taught in school.

A question for you: How many "gurus" have you met in real life?

That's what MJ is speaking from-- real life. Not books/ad copy.

I'd have to agree. I've met a number of "gurus": Dave DelDotto (when he was king of informercials), Robert Kiyosaki (co-author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad), Michael Gerber (E Myth), Professor Emeritus Peter Steiner (economics guru). I could go on.

Every single one of these "gurus" were very ego driven.

I've also met folks like Jack Canfield, Marvin Minsky, and Herb Kelleher-- none of whom brand themselves as "gurus", and didn't come off as such. But they were all remarkable people.

That's a limited sample, but you get the point. :)

-Russ H.

David

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
Sydney
I love this thread.

I'm not an egotistic person, but now have a clearer understanding from another person's perspective.

Rep ++

w4rl0rdx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 2, 2009
Michigan
I'm hoping that you're laughing at the relative importance of your degree, and not making some comment on supposed expertise drawn from books. Many of us here are degreed, but we have found that the real world oftentimes does not reflect what is taught in school.

A question for you: How many "gurus" have you met in real life?

That's what MJ is speaking from-- real life. Not books/ad copy.

I'd have to agree. I've met a number of "gurus": Dave DelDotto (when he was king of informercials), Robert Kiyosaki (co-author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad), Michael Gerber (E Myth), Professor Emeritus Peter Steiner (economics guru). I could go on.

Every single one of these "gurus" were very ego driven.

-Russ H.

Ah ok, Sadly Ive met no Gurus yet as I am only 25, still living at home. Trying to get started in internet marketing / CPA and develope a plan to quickly move out at the same time so I dont know anyone of those guys personally. :nonod:

I would love to meet Robert Kiyosaki, Ive read pretty much all of his books. I'd also like to meet all of you guys some day!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I would love to meet Robert Kiyosaki, Ive read pretty much all of his books.

Be careful what you ask for . . . I, too, had looked forward to meeting RK-- for years-- much of my wealth (and financial consciousness) comes from reading his books.

In some ways, I wish I'd never met him.

I'd also like to meet all of you guys some day!

Now that I can tell you will be much more fun. This is a great bunch. I had more fun at this year's B&P than any year before. That's saying something.

(having a BBQ at RealOG's house was a highlight, as was sitting out by the fire pit at firesky at night, just chattin'.) :)

-Russ

time_manager

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 15, 2010
Thank you everyone for your thank yous, kind remarks and rep.

While I do not consider myself a genius or even that book smart, I can say that I have had the advantage of experiencing life outside a safety zone at an early age. It really does not matter what school you go to learn; some of the best lessons learned are from living life.

I can agree with this wholeheartedly. I believe that my arrogancy started after reading a couple of Kyosaki's books and watching him on TV. While not trying to trash him completely since his books is where my financial education began, but he does like to speak highly of himself. ;)

I can't agree with the others here more. You have a wonderful deeper insight on your post, really! :eusa_clap: And definitely our experience in life itself molds a person not the things he's learned from books. Thanks for sharing your wisdom! :smx9:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I can't agree with the others here more. You have a wonderful deeper insight on your post, really! :eusa_clap: And definitely our experience in life itself molds a person not the things he's learned from books. Thanks for sharing your wisdom! :smx9:

In my "deeper insight" I feel that you wouldn't be posting these short little notes without your signature so I went ahead and deleted it. This is not a place to be dropping your backlinks.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
In my "deeper insight" I feel that you wouldn't be posting these short little notes without your signature so I went ahead and deleted it. This is not a place to be dropping your backlinks.

:great::hurray::great:

-Russ H.

eloise

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 29, 2010
O town
Great post,and you are a better person for admitting it and moving on to try and correct it. People love people who are kind, considerate, patient, and willing to listen to them. And you will go much farther in life with your new mindset. Another thing comes to mind and many go hand in hand with ego is greed and selfishness..Hmmmmm

Rick

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 8, 2010
Bonn, Germany
A

Anon3587x

You know this is rather brilliant, but I must play devils advocate.

What works for one person, doesn't always work for another. I could write a 5 paragraph essay explaining why it is good to keep a huge Ego.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.