The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Haunted House Discussion

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
So to flesh this out a bit more.

Lets say your overall story is "You just got kidnapped by a psycho and now you must escape!"

The first week of the month would be "Chapter One." The would go through a series of escape rooms and deal with whatever scary stuff you come up with.

Throughout this some guide takes them through this scary story and journey.

By the time they escape there should be some sort of cliff hanger. Now they are encouraged to come back to participate in Chapter Two which is always held the second weekend of every month. Then chapter three and four on the third and fourth weekends.

The grand ending would be your halloween event.

I guess I'm saying to design a big horror story and allow people to be the real life characters. Nothing like that (as far as I know) exist but I would do it over and over again!

Yeah, that's why it makes sense to build up over months instead of just being seasonal. Stories don't even need to be tied to the haunt location. They can start online and involve the local community. Plus stories can change from year to year so it's not redundant and doesn't grow stale. That's one thing I always like about watching American Horror Story. Each season uses the same cast, but tells a completely different, yet equally terrifying tale.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
So to flesh this out a bit more.

Lets say your overall story is "You just got kidnapped by a psycho and now you must escape!"

The first week of the month would be "Chapter One." The would go through a series of escape rooms and deal with whatever scary stuff you come up with.

Throughout this some guide takes them through this scary story and journey.

By the time they escape there should be some sort of cliff hanger. Now they are encouraged to come back to participate in Chapter Two which is always held the second weekend of every month. Then chapter three and four on the third and fourth weekends.

The grand ending would be your halloween event.

I guess I'm saying to design a big horror story and allow people to be the real life characters. Nothing like that (as far as I know) exist but I would do it over and over again!

This idea is fantastic but for a completely different concept I’ve been tossing around.

Group Dating. See, all the cool chicks I know don’t want to just go out and feel awkward on a stupid bumble hookup date and the cool guys I know are all worried about coming across as creepy so they don’t even use dating apps. Both groups would prefer to have something fun to do AS A GROUP.... if you could tap into the local dating pool and make this a fun monthly event that would be awesome. (At least for ppl who like scary stuff which I do not so feel free to make tons of money off of this idea, lol.)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I don't know the specifics but right at 20 years ago in Omaha a guy put up his house ($200,000 loan) because he wanted to have a haunted house. His wife told him that if he lost their house, she was leaving him. So he had himself a haunted house and charged $12 to get in. He said by October 14th he had enough profit to pay back the loan. I think it was the next year he raised the price to $15. He had the haunted house about 5 years and then never did it again.

My thought on a haunted house is.... is there any way to make it where you have a virtual tour guide? Make it so there is a ghost leading the way. Maybe I am ahead of the game.

I think after Halloween, they should go in to Christmas and make it a North Pole with a work shop, stores that sell Christmas stuff (It IS Christmas ya know) and 1 line that leads in to a room. This room is divided in to 3 and has a Santa in each room. That way the line doesn't get so long for the kids waiting on Santa and they don't realize there are 3 instead of just the 1 REAL Santa ;) . Sleigh rides (instead of hay rides). Christmas light maze, just an over all fun atmosphere with multiple things to do.

@Primeperiwinkle Events And Adventures would be a good one to hook up with for what you are talking about.

When we were in St Augustine, Florida last Christmas we went on a ghost tour. They have like 10 tours a night and the buses are filled. AND, there is more than 1 company that does it so I have no clue how many people take a ghost tour in just that 1 town EVERY day. They are open year around.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I imagine an app can be a perfect virtual tour guide! What if you could setup RFID points that the app responded to as well?

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
I've had an unscratched itch for a while and thought someone might have experience. Whether you've run a haunted house or just want to chat about it, let's open up discussion. There was also a Shark Tank episode of a horror company setting up a haunted house that may break down some info for you.

Here are some questions for anyone who has done it:

1. What was the startup investment like?
2. What do you wish you knew going into it?
3. How did you advertise and what worked?
4. Was it worth your time and were you profitable (within 3 years?)
5. What else?

If you haven't run a haunted house but are curious, what are your thoughts? Would you do it? How would you approach it? How would you stay top-of-mind throughout the year? How would you make it profitable in the off-season?
Super relevant since I just got back from Universal Studios Halloween Horror Night. Also, Atlanta has had the best haunted house in the nation for several years, Netherworld. HHN was great because the haunted houses were based on a show or theme, such as Stranger Things, the classic monsters i.e. Dracula, Frankensteins monster. Netherworld simply has the best theatrics, makeup, set displays, and overall production. I can't tell you how to set up a house but I can point to very popular and top of the line houses that did it.

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
:rofl: Now I am hoping there is a haunted house near us this year!

For a year-round option, what about something like a minigolf/putt-putt area that could be designed and changed to fit the different themes?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
:rofl: Now I am hoping there is a haunted house near us this year!

For a year-round option, what about something like a minigolf/putt-putt area that could be designed and changed to fit the different themes?

Does anyone still do minigolf?

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
:rofl: Maybe? I really don't know.

What do parents take their little kids outside to do all year?

Amusement parks, parks, swimming pool, paintball, corn maze, pumpkin patch, frisbee golf, bumper cars, an old school arcade (do those still exist?) ...

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
:rofl: Maybe? I really don't know.

What do parents take their little kids outside to do all year?

Amusement parks, parks, swimming pool, paintball, corn maze, pumpkin patch, frisbee golf, bumper cars, an old school arcade (do those still exist?) ...

Yeaaa they all exist but now parents are so frazzled we walk like zombies to air conditioned indoor places like buildings where the children can run around Iike hooligans and we end up paying $250 for F*cking tokens so they can buy large pikachus and feel content in their little materialistic souls.

I’m not bitter, I told my kids if they want that freaking charzar they better get a job.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Saw this on the news last night. Thought it was a neat idea with a Fastlane twist. If you already owned a car wash, then this would be a novel idea to pick up a nice payday at the end of the year. Much lower investment than going all in with a $50k - $100k+ haunt.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I don't know the specifics but right at 20 years ago in Omaha a guy put up his house ($200,000 loan) because he wanted to have a haunted house. His wife told him that if he lost their house, she was leaving him. So he had himself a haunted house and charged $12 to get in. He said by October 14th he had enough profit to pay back the loan. I think it was the next year he raised the price to $15. He had the haunted house about 5 years and then never did it again.

My thought on a haunted house is.... is there any way to make it where you have a virtual tour guide? Make it so there is a ghost leading the way. Maybe I am ahead of the game.

I think after Halloween, they should go in to Christmas and make it a North Pole with a work shop, stores that sell Christmas stuff (It IS Christmas ya know) and 1 line that leads in to a room. This room is divided in to 3 and has a Santa in each room. That way the line doesn't get so long for the kids waiting on Santa and they don't realize there are 3 instead of just the 1 REAL Santa ;) . Sleigh rides (instead of hay rides). Christmas light maze, just an over all fun atmosphere with multiple things to do.

@Primeperiwinkle Events And Adventures would be a good one to hook up with for what you are talking about.

When we were in St Augustine, Florida last Christmas we went on a ghost tour. They have like 10 tours a night and the buses are filled. AND, there is more than 1 company that does it so I have no clue how many people take a ghost tour in just that 1 town EVERY day. They are open year around.

You ARE a flippin genius!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Just bought this book on how to start a haunted house

Thought I'd update on this book in case anyone is curious.

It took over a week to ship and I had to contact the seller about it. The seller said he didn't get the notification. He shipped it Priority the next day. If you order this, then I would shoot the seller an email to confirm receipt.

The book is 172 pages. It feels thin and short. It is not a hardback (which the photo on the website appears to be).

It starts with general info on creating a business plan and describes different types of business setup options.

Despite some vagueness in key areas, there are a lot of gold nuggets with regard to the industry. Some of the info is dated since the book was written in 2006 (with three revisions), but a lot of the material is still relevant today.

One of the most useful aspects of the book is the example documents. So far I've seen industry-specific examples of the following:

- Business plan
- Press release
- Phone script
- Radio advertisements
- Coupons and flyers
- Other stuff I forgot

Also, there are a number of factors I may not have considered without reading this. For instance, the reasons why a tent-based haunt might not be a good option.

Another area of value is in the author's approach to developing relationships with media companies, local business owners, banks, insurance companies etc. Every time he proposes interaction it comes from a place of showing what value his haunt will bring them.

Overall I'm pleased with the content. Although there are areas that could be expanded on, it's enough to get started and offers more than what I've found by browsing Google or reading forums and I do not regret the purchase.

FullTimePreneur

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 6, 2015
Jersey City
Hey @Lex DeVille,

Back in college, a club I was a part of volunteered at a haunted house for an evening and it was a ton of fun!

This is how it worked, the company got college students that were a part of some type of club. The company would then donated (I believe it was $200-$300) to the charity we represented as a club. We had around 15-20 people show up for about 4-5 hours worth of volunteering/work. We got in, they gave us the instructions, then prepped us with makeup and costumes, and then given our lines and stations. Then as people came through the haunted house, we'd just do as instructed.

The makeup artists and other staff (which was way smaller than our volunteer group) were the only ones getting paid actual wages. The volunteers were paid minimally for the number of hours spent. But overall, I felt that it was a win for everyone. We had a cool volunteer event to recruit new members, we supported our charity, and we all had a ton of fun doing it!

Overall, I remember someone mentioned they had talked to the owner and the haunted house brought in ~$1mil in revenue for a 3-month window.

I just wanted to pass the volunteer experience along, as I thought it was a pretty sweet system the owner had going on.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
This type of volunteering works. My friend who owned a dirt track used to schedule a demo-derby. Then he would get the local cub scout pack to come out. Give them free admission, free food and after the nights events, they would set up tents to camp on the infield. Then the next morning they would wake up and clean all the debris off the race track. The Nascar tracks do the same things so someone that does this might want to keep something like that in mind. Great post @FullTimePreneur

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona

So....yeah. No thanks. This place has a waitlist of 24,000 people. I’d venture a guess that even if he did charge that number would stay the same.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
I never believed in ghosts until I went to Google Street View of a 3 Story building I Lived in as a child and the face of the woman that was stabbed to death as her 4 kids were in the next room was plastered on the window like a pancake.

I did not realize it til later what I was seeing and when I went back to screen capture Google had driven on that street again. Now beautiful clear window.

Google has an archive of real ghost proofs as well as a ton of fake The Grudge pics I can imagine. :)

SW ONT HAUNT

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 9, 2020
Hello Fast Lane Forum Folks!
I'm an entrepreneur with a proven background in launching new businesses
and am switching tracks to something more creative.
I've joined this forum in search of other creative and business partners in the same geographic region to launch a Pro Halloween Attraction in Southwestern Ontario, Canada.
Also, I look forward to sharing business experiences and exchanging ideas.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Hello Fast Lane Forum Folks!
I'm an entrepreneur with a proven background in launching new businesses
and am switching tracks to something more creative.
I've joined this forum in search of other creative and business partners in the same geographic region to launch a Pro Halloween Attraction in Southwestern Ontario, Canada.
Also, I look forward to sharing business experiences and exchanging ideas.

Do you have palm trees, beaches, and sand in Ontario?

Too. Damn. COLD.

Kepler

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Mar 4, 2015
Scottsdale
$35 seems kind of steep for a haunted corn maze. Do they offer other stuff after entry? Like vendors or games or anything like that? Most of the haunts around here are between $10 and $20. I can see paying higher prices for things like:

- VIP Head of Line Pass
- Multiple Attractions

Not sure what else. Beyond those I imagine money after entry coming from upsells like t-shirts, concessions and other merch.
Out here $35 is pretty standard for fear farm, and 13th floor. They are always busy and usually have a couple haunts to go through

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Damn, it's that time of the year again. Was driving down the road and saw local haunt signs. Naturally, my imagination spun into overdrive. Then I remembered buying that book on haunt businesses and starting this thread.

In 2019, I was in the middle of buying a house and making an interstate move, so I forgot about the discussion. I do recall thinking about how bad things would be for the industry with the pandemic. At the time, I thought, "whew! Dodged a bullet with that investment!"

This year things are ramping up. There are several local haunts. I still think it would be badass to open a scalable fastlane haunt attraction, especially once I can name it "Dr. DeVille's House of Demons" or whatever.

I looked up our local haunts to see if I could get contact info. I'd like to volunteer for one next year. Maybe they'll find value in my background.

Unfortunately, the local haunts are epic failures in the internet marketing department. Only one or two have their own website, and those websites suck.

I honestly can't believe none of them collect emails or have any way to sell merch through their website.

MADNESS!!!!!!

If I created a haunt, a website, and an email funnel would be the first things I set up. VIP waitlist. Online tickets. Online merch. Online EVERYTHING! My god, how much cash are they leaving on the table without these?!

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I have always thought it would be cool to own one.

The haunted corn maze idea would be good if you wanted to start cheap and try it out. Pay the farmer $1000-2000/acre and there’s no way they say no. Google says the average corn maze size is 4-20 acres. I think the lower end of that spectrum would be plenty of space. Parking might be the biggest issue with doing the corn maze.

That size field is pretty small and something of that size can probably easily be found on the outskirts of suburbs and still be close to the city.
With corn prices where they are currently, you probably would need to up your per acre payment

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
With corn prices where they are currently, you probably would need to up your per acre payment
In many places in the corn belt 200 bushel per acre is good yield. Averaging 300+ would be an excellent year for farmers in even the best soil in Illinois.
200*6.75=1350
300*6.75=2025
Guaranteed money with no crop failure risk that is about the same as total revenue growing corn. Not to mention there is still corn there to harvest. The hard part wouldn't be paying the farmer enough money, it would be convincing them to deal with the people, traffic, insurance, etc.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Lex,

If you would like to build a haunted house or escape room business. I believe the biggest trade show for them is in St. Louis. They put on Halloween and Christmas trade shows rolled into one, have several haunted houses and an escape room, provide events, and I remember them being in the consulting and training business as well.

Here are some links:

TransWorld Trade Shows - This contains links to their Halloween and Christmas trade shows. The show is in February. Its events page shows that it deals a lot with business and marketing topics. But it looks like these pages have not been updated with 2023 info.

America's Scariest Haunted Houses - The Darkness - Lemp - Creepyworld - The link to their haunted houses in St. Louis - Darkness, Lemp Brewery, Creepyworld, St. Louis Escape, Silly Putter Retro Golf - These might be good for you to check out to see how a large operator handles them.

The escape room business easily allows for business team building and caters to that.

On the web dev front, this seems to be the Halloween focused web dev they use:
sinistervisions.com

You can go to Find Haunted Houses - Best Haunts - Haunted Attractions | HauntWorld to find attractions around the country.

They may have more businesses. I just mentioned the ones that were obvious. They've spawned some good sized businesses in the Halloween industry.

From a productocracy point of view, in that industry they built enough momentum and respect that they have also built 300 haunted houses and amusement park features around the world for other companies as well.

I hope this helps if you do decide to pursue it.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Lex,

If you would like to build a haunted house or escape room business. I believe the biggest trade show for them is in St. Louis. They put on Halloween and Christmas trade shows rolled into one, have several haunted houses and an escape room, provide events, and I remember them being in the consulting and training business as well.

Here are some links:

TransWorld Trade Shows - This contains links to their Halloween and Christmas trade shows. The show is in February. Its events page shows that it deals a lot with business and marketing topics. But it looks like these pages have not been updated with 2023 info.

America's Scariest Haunted Houses - The Darkness - Lemp - Creepyworld - The link to their haunted houses in St. Louis - Darkness, Lemp Brewery, Creepyworld, St. Louis Escape, Silly Putter Retro Golf - These might be good for you to check out to see how a large operator handles them.

The escape room business easily allows for business team building and caters to that.

On the web dev front, this seems to be the Halloween focused web dev they use:
sinistervisions.com

You can go to Find Haunted Houses - Best Haunts - Haunted Attractions | HauntWorld to find attractions around the country.

They may have more businesses. I just mentioned the ones that were obvious. They've spawned some good sized businesses in the Halloween industry.

From a productocracy point of view, in that industry they built enough momentum and respect that they have also built 300 haunted houses and amusement park features around the world for other companies as well.

I hope this helps if you do decide to pursue it.
Thanks for sharing! I didn't realize TransWorld was here in Missouri. That's about a five-hour drive. Probably worth it if I had to guess.

I tried contacting a local haunt recently about observing (or helping out) to get hands-on experience but didn't get a response. To be fair, I emailed them. Probably should have followed up with a call since I donated my body transport case to them a few years ago. I got sidetracked and didn't get back around to it yet.

If I were going to do this, I'd want to build up into a theme park like Thrillvania in TX. I went there one year, and it was a really cool experience. I heard they went downhill after 2020, but I think the concept could totally work here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.