The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Haunted House Discussion

OP
OP
Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
So to flesh this out a bit more.

Lets say your overall story is "You just got kidnapped by a psycho and now you must escape!"

The first week of the month would be "Chapter One." The would go through a series of escape rooms and deal with whatever scary stuff you come up with.

Throughout this some guide takes them through this scary story and journey.

By the time they escape there should be some sort of cliff hanger. Now they are encouraged to come back to participate in Chapter Two which is always held the second weekend of every month. Then chapter three and four on the third and fourth weekends.

The grand ending would be your halloween event.

I guess I'm saying to design a big horror story and allow people to be the real life characters. Nothing like that (as far as I know) exist but I would do it over and over again!
Yeah, that's why it makes sense to build up over months instead of just being seasonal. Stories don't even need to be tied to the haunt location. They can start online and involve the local community. Plus stories can change from year to year so it's not redundant and doesn't grow stale. That's one thing I always like about watching American Horror Story. Each season uses the same cast, but tells a completely different, yet equally terrifying tale.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Primeperiwinkle

though she be but little...
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
DFW
So to flesh this out a bit more.

Lets say your overall story is "You just got kidnapped by a psycho and now you must escape!"

The first week of the month would be "Chapter One." The would go through a series of escape rooms and deal with whatever scary stuff you come up with.

Throughout this some guide takes them through this scary story and journey.

By the time they escape there should be some sort of cliff hanger. Now they are encouraged to come back to participate in Chapter Two which is always held the second weekend of every month. Then chapter three and four on the third and fourth weekends.

The grand ending would be your halloween event.

I guess I'm saying to design a big horror story and allow people to be the real life characters. Nothing like that (as far as I know) exist but I would do it over and over again!
This idea is fantastic but for a completely different concept I’ve been tossing around.

Group Dating. See, all the cool chicks I know don’t want to just go out and feel awkward on a stupid bumble hookup date and the cool guys I know are all worried about coming across as creepy so they don’t even use dating apps. Both groups would prefer to have something fun to do AS A GROUP.... if you could tap into the local dating pool and make this a fun monthly event that would be awesome. (At least for ppl who like scary stuff which I do not so feel free to make tons of money off of this idea, lol.)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I don't know the specifics but right at 20 years ago in Omaha a guy put up his house ($200,000 loan) because he wanted to have a haunted house. His wife told him that if he lost their house, she was leaving him. So he had himself a haunted house and charged $12 to get in. He said by October 14th he had enough profit to pay back the loan. I think it was the next year he raised the price to $15. He had the haunted house about 5 years and then never did it again.

My thought on a haunted house is.... is there any way to make it where you have a virtual tour guide? Make it so there is a ghost leading the way. Maybe I am ahead of the game.

I think after Halloween, they should go in to Christmas and make it a North Pole with a work shop, stores that sell Christmas stuff (It IS Christmas ya know) and 1 line that leads in to a room. This room is divided in to 3 and has a Santa in each room. That way the line doesn't get so long for the kids waiting on Santa and they don't realize there are 3 instead of just the 1 REAL Santa ;) . Sleigh rides (instead of hay rides). Christmas light maze, just an over all fun atmosphere with multiple things to do.

@Primeperiwinkle Events And Adventures would be a good one to hook up with for what you are talking about.

When we were in St Augustine, Florida last Christmas we went on a ghost tour. They have like 10 tours a night and the buses are filled. AND, there is more than 1 company that does it so I have no clue how many people take a ghost tour in just that 1 town EVERY day. They are open year around.

Tourmaline

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I imagine an app can be a perfect virtual tour guide! What if you could setup RFID points that the app responded to as well?

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
I've had an unscratched itch for a while and thought someone might have experience. Whether you've run a haunted house or just want to chat about it, let's open up discussion. There was also a Shark Tank episode of a horror company setting up a haunted house that may break down some info for you.

Here are some questions for anyone who has done it:

1. What was the startup investment like?
2. What do you wish you knew going into it?
3. How did you advertise and what worked?
4. Was it worth your time and were you profitable (within 3 years?)
5. What else?

If you haven't run a haunted house but are curious, what are your thoughts? Would you do it? How would you approach it? How would you stay top-of-mind throughout the year? How would you make it profitable in the off-season?
Super relevant since I just got back from Universal Studios Halloween Horror Night. Also, Atlanta has had the best haunted house in the nation for several years, Netherworld. HHN was great because the haunted houses were based on a show or theme, such as Stranger Things, the classic monsters i.e. Dracula, Frankensteins monster. Netherworld simply has the best theatrics, makeup, set displays, and overall production. I can't tell you how to set up a house but I can point to very popular and top of the line houses that did it.

Sheens

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
USA
:rofl: Now I am hoping there is a haunted house near us this year!

For a year-round option, what about something like a minigolf/putt-putt area that could be designed and changed to fit the different themes?

OP
OP
Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
:rofl: Now I am hoping there is a haunted house near us this year!

For a year-round option, what about something like a minigolf/putt-putt area that could be designed and changed to fit the different themes?
Does anyone still do minigolf?

Sheens

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
USA
:rofl: Maybe? I really don't know.

What do parents take their little kids outside to do all year?

Amusement parks, parks, swimming pool, paintball, corn maze, pumpkin patch, frisbee golf, bumper cars, an old school arcade (do those still exist?) ...

Primeperiwinkle

though she be but little...
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
DFW
:rofl: Maybe? I really don't know.

What do parents take their little kids outside to do all year?

Amusement parks, parks, swimming pool, paintball, corn maze, pumpkin patch, frisbee golf, bumper cars, an old school arcade (do those still exist?) ...
Yeaaa they all exist but now parents are so frazzled we walk like zombies to air conditioned indoor places like buildings where the children can run around Iike hooligans and we end up paying $250 for F*cking tokens so they can buy large pikachus and feel content in their little materialistic souls.

I’m not bitter, I told my kids if they want that freaking charzar they better get a job.

OP
OP
Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
Oklahoma
Saw this on the news last night. Thought it was a neat idea with a Fastlane twist. If you already owned a car wash, then this would be a novel idea to pick up a nice payday at the end of the year. Much lower investment than going all in with a $50k - $100k+ haunt.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I don't know the specifics but right at 20 years ago in Omaha a guy put up his house ($200,000 loan) because he wanted to have a haunted house. His wife told him that if he lost their house, she was leaving him. So he had himself a haunted house and charged $12 to get in. He said by October 14th he had enough profit to pay back the loan. I think it was the next year he raised the price to $15. He had the haunted house about 5 years and then never did it again.

My thought on a haunted house is.... is there any way to make it where you have a virtual tour guide? Make it so there is a ghost leading the way. Maybe I am ahead of the game.

I think after Halloween, they should go in to Christmas and make it a North Pole with a work shop, stores that sell Christmas stuff (It IS Christmas ya know) and 1 line that leads in to a room. This room is divided in to 3 and has a Santa in each room. That way the line doesn't get so long for the kids waiting on Santa and they don't realize there are 3 instead of just the 1 REAL Santa ;) . Sleigh rides (instead of hay rides). Christmas light maze, just an over all fun atmosphere with multiple things to do.

@Primeperiwinkle Events And Adventures would be a good one to hook up with for what you are talking about.

When we were in St Augustine, Florida last Christmas we went on a ghost tour. They have like 10 tours a night and the buses are filled. AND, there is more than 1 company that does it so I have no clue how many people take a ghost tour in just that 1 town EVERY day. They are open year around.
You ARE a flippin genius!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Very interesting, I like your style, I check it right now! Thanks @Lenin looking forward to it. :)
Replies
Views
Top Bottom