The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Habits For Desert Of Desertion

Anything related to matters of the mind

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
I know MJ really touched on this in Unscripted . But just out of curiosity, I wanted to know something.

What have some of you done in order to make the walk through the dessert of desertion a bit more enjoyable, if that's even possible? Or just make it in general, other than a strong why or pure will power.

In other words, daily habits that helped you through to that first echo?

I've never felt this deserted in my life. Loved ones mocking you, no belief, etc.

You know sh** is real when your girl mocks you on how broke you are.

People asking when I'm gonna get a real job, as I am a software dev by trade. So maybe hearing from some of you could also provide value to others in our situation.

Thanks..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
You need to continue to build your internal confidence and recognize that you are attempting to take a path that a lot of people don't know or understand.

The daily habits I have incorporated in my life are small but important. For example, everyday I have a goal to drink 8 glasses of water. It sounds insignificant, but it builds confidence when you look back and recognize that you've accomplished this goal for the last seven days.

Stay focused on the 1% goal.

If you are working on something positive everyday, think of how much you will have accomplished in one week, one month or one year. Keep taking specific steps to building and improving your business and ensure that you are logging it as well.

My other recommendation is to ensure that you take the time to make sure your health and fitness are increasing or at a high level. You can't take big steps in business building if you are tired, not eating well, etc.

All the best!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
May 27, 2013
United States
The Desert of Desertion F*cking sucks. There is no making it better.

Move as fast as possible through it. The longer you stay there, the more you will want to doubt and question the path. The harder it becomes to stay true.

If the product's not ready to sell yet, generate a social buzz and get soft feedback on a sample or prototype. This will help stave off your doubts. It will be a constant reminder that you are on the right path (or will make it clear that you need to get off the path).

Get dollars exchanged for product as soon as possible. This is the start of the positive feedback loop that brings you out of the desert.

I launched a new company last week. The first sale made me high. I literally felt as buzzed as drinking 3 beers. After about a dozen sales, the desert was gone. I actually yelled in the shower today, I was so excited to get to work for the day.

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
After about a dozen sales, the desert was gone. I actually yelled in the shower today, I was so excited to get to work for the day.
Lmfao that's great. Have never experienced that but that's awesome and I will be there soon.

Last edited:

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
You need to continue to build your internal confidence and recognize that you are attempting to take a path that a lot of people don't know or understand.

The daily habits I have incorporated in my life are small but important. For example, everyday I have a goal to drink 8 glasses of water. It sounds insignificant, but it builds confidence when you look back and recognize that you've accomplished this goal for the last seven days.

Stay focused on the 1% goal.

If you are working on something positive everyday, think of how much you will have accomplished in one week, one month or one year. Keep taking specific steps to building and improving your business and ensure that you are logging it as well.

My other recommendation is to ensure that you take the time to make sure your health and fitness are increasing or at a high level. You can't take big steps in business building if you are tired, not eating well, etc.

All the best!
I agree, I haven't been exercising. And little things like drinking those 8 cups I agree with how it helps to continue to foster that commitment.

Thanks

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Expectation.

Just knowing it is there makes all the difference.

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
Expectation.

Very true. As a noobie entrepreneur, subconsciously I probably forget like there actually is a market there. Whether the feedback is negative or positive. The market is there.

Thanks @MJ DeMarco

Last edited:

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Your weapon is knowing that you use time differently (and exponentially more effective) than them.

You gotta suck it up man. That's the best way. Think of yourself as a Navy Seal going through Hell Week. Haha.

You can't become tough by skipping suffering.

Have comfort in knowing that their mindset lets them see only the surface level of things, (they don't really see what's transpiring in the background) and delight in the fact that when things begin picking up (which is for certain because of the compound effect, provided that you take action daily), that they will be AWED and barely recognize you in the end.

:cool:

It's ironic that those who aren't scared to have no money are the ones that eventually make it. And those who are easily bought by a paycheck, capitulating at the first sign of difficulty as well as believe that the appearance of wealth is of prime importance, are the ones whose foundations of reality are built with a house of cards.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
May 27, 2013
United States
Expectation.

This is the perfect answer to the OPs question.

When you start to lose or doubt yourself, just know that it's normal to do so.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
I
I know MJ really touched on this in Unscripted . But just out of curiosity, I wanted to know something.

What have some of you done in order to make the walk through the dessert of desertion a bit more enjoyable, if that's even possible? Or just make it in general, other than a strong why or pure will power.

I've never felt this deserted in my life. Loved ones mocking you, no belief, etc.

People asking when I'm gonna get a real job, as I am a software dev by trade. So maybe hearing from some of you could also provide value to others in our situation.

Thanks..

I don't think you're supposed to get comfortable with that...

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
Expectation.

Agreed.

I'm in that same desert brother, most of us are. The fact that you're a software dev is actually a huge advantage (as SAAS is a huge potential fastlane).

Harness your skills, go out there and add massive value! And as always, keep us posted on your progress :)

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah

Ruminate on what your life would be like if you never grit your teeth.

I'd rather walk through the desert in search of the oasis than lay down and die at the starting line.

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
Your weapon is knowing that you use time differently (and exponentially more effective) than them.

You gotta suck it up man. That's the best way. Think of yourself as a Navy Seal going through Hell Week. Haha.

You can't become tough by skipping suffering.

Have comfort in knowing that their mindset lets them see only the surface level of things, (they don't really see what's transpiring in the background) and delight in the fact that when things begin picking up (which is for certain because of the compound effect, provided that you take action daily), that they will be AWED and barely recognize you in the end.

:cool:

It's ironic that those who aren't scared to have no money are the ones that eventually make it. And those who are easily bought by a paycheck, capitulating at the first sign of difficulty as well as believe that the appearance of wealth is of prime importance, are the ones whose foundations of reality are built with a house of cards.[/QUOTE
Agreed.

I'm in that same desert brother, most of us are. The fact that you're a software dev is actually a huge advantage (as SAAS is a huge potential fastlane).

Harness your skills, go out there and add massive value! And as always, keep us posted on your progress :)

Definitely will do. I one hundred percent agree with you all. Just interesting to see how many more here on this forum are knee deep in serious execution too, and again, I began this thread with the hope that this adds value to other newbie entrepreneurs.

It's funny, I saw a video with this guy Elon Musk from Spacex, and he was saying something to the effect of creating a product is like chewing glass and staring into the abyss. I'm not much of a "podium pill popper", but damn was he ever right.

Until you have family members and a girlfriend of 5 years on your back telling you to quit programming all the time and to get a better job and leave that stupid warehouse, and 100 bucks in the bank, and debt collectors threatening to take you to small claims court, everybody is tough. But I think this will all be a part of the story for when I tell others LOL. This experience also made me realize "shit more people than I thought are still buying this 9-5 lie, including those I used to look up to".

It's truly been a blessing and true gut check, especially since I see many of you are going through the same stuff. Because, some days it's like, damn am I crazy for doing this crap?
But like many of the others have implied, it's actually a beauty of this process.

Thanks to all.

Shortypants

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
May 15, 2017
NL

Thanks..
Everyone should look at the Marginal Value Theorem of Charnov. It is the FOUNDATION why we are motivated for a specific amount of time and why it decreases.
If you don't understand this, you don't understand motivation.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.