The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guy fakes a restaurant by selling microwave meals through Deliveroo

Bruno Lara

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 15, 2016
Brazil
Hey guys, I ran across this video on YT about selling meals through Deliveroo. Obviously, they're a scam bc they're not who they say they are on the app but this could be a good example of a side hustle/business that you can scale.
What are you guys thoughts about this one?

You have little control over it, can't market well outside the app but you do have scalability. I don't see this as a real business but I think it could be good for newcomers

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k47u9tduwb8

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
My first thought: Lying and scamming people isn't a great way to start a business.

My second thought: More and more restautants in the sub $20/plate range are simply microwaving meals now so....

D

Deleted72597

This is actually really interesting.

As long as you take legal precautions this could be a nice side hustle.
With actual cooked food and more honest descriptions of course.

One could even prepare tasteful dishes in large portions that lose little quality when frozen (certain stews, soups, etc.), some of these meals also more or less cook themselves so you could spend your time investing in yourself, building another business or working on something while the flavors ripen.
And if you do your math right and plan your process, it should if nothing else give a high income per minute invested.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
@Timmy C you wanna weigh in?

I mean sure....

You can do it, but it's building a house on quicksand, it's only a matter of time before shit will unravel on you.

The moment you register your premise with council everything is cross referenced, you cant just register with council and say yay!

To even register with council and for that registration to be approved you have to go through a number of regulatory hurdles and you can only get that certification and go ahead by doing everything by the book... well at least to appear on there end to be by the book.... You cant just say to council oh i am registering my business at home and your done.

It is not that easy you have to meet so much criteria to get that approval that registering a food business out of your home is 9 times out of 10 impossible to get done unless you sell plain old uncut fruit and vegetables or have your home tailor fit to there council regulation requirements, you can't have pets in your house to get this approval, there has to be a certain amount of sinks to get it and in set locations, ventilation and floor requirements amongst a host of other hurdles.

Of course this depends on your state and country in which you reside, but i can't imagine it being much different in other developed countries around the world due to food safety laws.

The whole video seems bullshit to me, of course you can operate without going through the proper regulatory hurdles and start doing business buts whats missing from this story is what happens after.

They left out the rest of the story!

''italian stalion LTD was shut down due to not meeting the relevant regulatory requirements''

or

''italian stalion LTD was fined $250,000 for giving a customer food poisoning and not being registered in there sate with the correct governing bodies ''

''italian stalion LTD was fined $50,000 from the council for operating a food business in an inappropriate kitchen''

or

''italian stalion LTD was shut down overnight and can only cook food for immediate friends for under the table cash and cant scale a business that is worth there time due to shit margins in food ( UNSCRIPTED TLDR)

That's just a couple of scenarios there is way more.

Not saying it cant work temporarily that is.... but your are building your business on quicksand and it is only a matter of time before you get shut down, that's not a matter of if but when.

And yeh i didn't watch the rest.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I mean sure....

You can do it, but it's building a house on quicksand, it's only a matter of time before shit will unravel on you.

The moment you register your premise with council everything is cross referenced, you cant just register with council and say yay!

To even register with council and for that registration to be approved you have to go through a number of regulatory hurdles and you can only get that certification and go ahead by doing everything by the book... well at least to appear on there end to be by the book.... You cant just say to council oh i am registering my business at home and your done.

It is not that easy you have to meet so much criteria to get that approval that registering a food business out of your home is 9 times out of 10 impossible to get done unless you sell plain old uncut fruit and vegetables or have your home tailor fit to there council regulation requirements, you can't have pets in your house to get this approval, there has to be a certain amount of sinks to get it and in set locations, ventilation and floor requirements amongst a host of other hurdles.

Of course this depends on your state and country in which you reside, but i can't imagine it being much different in other developed countries around the world due to food safety laws.

The whole video seems bullshit to me, of course you can operate without going through the proper regulatory hurdles and start doing business buts whats missing from this story is what happens after.

''italian stalion LTD was shut down due to not meeting the relevant regulatory requirements''

or

''italian stalion LTD was fined $250,000 for giving a customer food poisoning and not being registered in there sate with the correct governing bodies ''

''italian stalion LTD was fined $50,000 from the council for operating a food business in an inappropriate kitchen''

or

''italian stalion LTD was shut down overnight and can only cook food for immediate friends for under the table cash and cant scale a business that is worth there time due to shit margins in food ( UNSCRIPTED TLDR)

Not saying it cant work temporarily that is.... but your are building your business on quicksand and it is only a matter of time before you get shut down, that's not a matter of if but when.

I knew you’d be the voice of reason. Thanks

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Sweet... admitting to fraud on YouTube. This should go well.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Sounds like a great time till the county mounty shows up to serve you with $1M in state, county and local violations and lawsuits. You made that easy $50 on the microwave though.

And all that is the least of your worries if someone somehow gets sick on that microwave meal. An overzealous prosecutor might try to put you in with the face tattoo crowd.

Just sayin.

Andy Bell

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Feb 10, 2019
Zihuantanejo
This is essentially what most amazon sellers do private labelling products from China. It may sound like a scam but its only shocking because its a food product that can easily if treated wrong lead to extreme sickness or death.

Amazon Private labelling -> Buy Premade product -> Resell under your packaging for a profit
Deliveroo private labelling -> Buy pasta -> Resell under your packaging for a profit

Now its interesting why this has people so upset since half of amazon is this same thing and private labelling. Maybe people arent as angry when theres a big corporation but when you could put a face to some kid in his condo making money off of you it makes you upset.

Screw you kid selling me repackaged pasta for a 50% markup!
Costco private labels Macallan under its Kirkland brand for 50% less? Screw it I still want Macallan, I like how the packaging makes me feel and others look at me when I drink it.

Brrr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Jul 28, 2019
It's a fun video but eventually, you will get a call from the EHO (environmental health office) to come and set a date for inspection. But it's really very straightforward to get 5 stars as long as you follow guidelines for what they are looking for and there are actually ways that you can get your home kitchen greenlighted too (but I think it's more complicated).

I don't know how much I should say, but I notified them right away in April and I didn't actually get inspected until around 4 months later. So I was able to sell food without any inspection for over three months. Additionally, if your kitchen isn't operating all the time they have to actually let you know when they are going to come and inspect you.

Also, there isn't even a legal obligation to display your hygiene rating in England (you do in scotland and wales I think). So, in theory, you could do what these guys are doing without any issues. I don't see why you couldn't open "Le Four Micro Onde" and make something of it.

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
It's a fun video but eventually, you will get a call from the EHO (environmental health office) to come and set a date for inspection. But it's really very straightforward to get 5 stars as long as you follow guidelines for what they are looking for and there are actually ways that you can get your home kitchen greenlighted too (but I think it's more complicated).

I don't know how much I should say, but I notified them right away in April and I didn't actually get inspected until around 4 months later. So I was able to sell food without any inspection for over three months. Additionally, if your kitchen isn't operating all the time they have to actually let you know when they are going to come and inspect you.

Also, there isn't even a legal obligation to display your hygiene rating in England (you do in scotland and wales I think). So, in theory, you could do what these guys are doing without any issues. I don't see why you couldn't open "Le Four Micro Onde" and make something of it.
So it's legal in the UK but not in the US. I guess the Brits a lot more laid back.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Serious talk. This Ghost Kitchen thing sounds like a great idea.

Especially, if you combine it with a food truck.

You keep your food truck parked in one spot. UberEats/Doordash drivers come and deliver the food. You still serve walk-ups directly.

All you need are like 2 to 4 people to handle cooking and handling.

Seems like a great way to decrease overhead and completely outsource delivery cost/management.

Now, with Doordash Pickup and UberEats Pickup, you don't even need to purchase your own ordering software.

Brrr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Jul 28, 2019
So it's legal in the UK but not in the US. I guess the Brits a lot more laid back.
Nah, it's definitely not legal. All I was saying is that if you wanted to resell microwaved meals from home, you might be able to do so if you put out a proper risk assessment and somehow got your home kitchen to resemble a commercial kitchen. You would have even more hoops to jump through than a regular food biz. You would have to take on all the risk of customers reheating and stuff and it would definitely not be worth the trouble, but it's not that out of the realm of possibility.

You keep your food truck parked in one spot. UberEats/Doordash drivers come and deliver the food. You still serve walk-ups directly.

Seems like a great way to decrease overhead and completely outsource delivery cost/management.

Now, with Doordash Pickup and UberEats Pickup, you don't even need to purchase your own ordering software.

That's what most places are doing anyway. At least 90% of the prep is done in a kitchen before being put on a food truck, maybe the last bit is finished off on there but for most food trucks it's only the assembly that happens onboard.

I agree that they haven't really integrated it well with the Food delivery services, but it's going to happen in the next few years for sure. I'm even looking at signing the lease for an industrial unit to turn it into a ghost kitchen for me and other food vendors. But I have so many people ask me "have you got that place sorted yet, we're running out of space" or "we are looking for a more professional kitchen to prep" and similar.

The small issue that I've encountered is that they food delivery places expect the delivery to happen around the food truck rather than the production place and it can sometimes be too far since the cheap place where you make it might be too out of the way. Might be less of an issue in the US.

For my food truck, it is all prepared off-site 100% and that's basically the whole USP of my business and why it's even working. Artisan parlour-quality gelato served from a food truck.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

That’s why I’m tryna figure out if it’s legal..

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Interesting piece from CNBC:

Definitely appears to be legal the US.

Travis Kalanick, the former Uber CEO is now with Cloud Kitchens:

Another company is Kitchen United:

Kitchen United is about to open a ghost kitchen in Scottsdale.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey guys, I ran across this video on YT about selling meals through Deliveroo. Obviously, they're a scam bc they're not who they say they are on the app but this could be a good example of a side hustle/business that you can scale.

You have little control over it, can't market well outside the app but you do have scalability. I don't see this as a real business but I think it could be good for newcomers

I need to do this and advertise cooked Pizza Bagels or Pizza Rolls from 11pm to 4am.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
C - Incase Deliveroo does an inspection, u can get kicked off the platform from one moment to the next, just like that?
E - Anyone can do this, its just a matter of time until your margins either get eroded or you get into trouble
N - Sure, people need to eat, but are you providing value? Anyone could order a microwave meal and heat it themselves
T - This is not long-term
S - Sure, might be scalable, but its a shitty business :D

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I mean sure....

or

or

They did say that they were awaiting inspection, I am astonished deliveroo took them on.

Nah, it's definitely not legal. All I was saying is that if you wanted to resell microwaved meals from home, you might be able to do so if you put out a proper risk assessment and somehow got your home kitchen to resemble a commercial kitchen. You would have even more hoops to jump through than a regular food biz. You would have to take on all the risk of customers reheating and stuff and it would definitely not be worth the trouble, but it's not that out of the realm of possibility.

That's what most places are doing anyway. At least 90% of the prep is done in a kitchen before being put on a food truck, maybe the last bit is finished off on there but for most food trucks it's only the assembly that happens onboard.

I agree that they haven't really integrated it well with the Food delivery services, but it's going to happen in the next few years for sure. I'm even looking at signing the lease for an industrial unit to turn it into a ghost kitchen for me and other food vendors. But I have so many people ask me "have you got that place sorted yet, we're running out of space" or "we are looking for a more professional kitchen to prep" and similar.

The small issue that I've encountered is that they food delivery places expect the delivery to happen around the food truck rather than the production place and it can sometimes be too far since the cheap place where you make it might be too out of the way. Might be less of an issue in the US.

For my food truck, it is all prepared off-site 100% and that's basically the whole USP of my business and why it's even working. Artisan parlour-quality gelato served from a food truck.

I imagine that's why they gave everyone their money back, so they were giving away free meals rather than selling them.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I mean sure....

or

or

Yep. I can confirm that in Australia it's very much the same. Any hospitatlity or health & beauty services home based business is a nightmare when dealing with council regulations.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
An overzealous prosecutor might try to put you in with the face tattoo crowd.

Just sayin.

Need that one snitch... *cough* *cough* ... 6ix9ine.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
For the life of me I can't remember who it was that started the company advertising old songs on an 8 track tape or maybe cassette. They didn't think it would be a big thing and at first they were doing it out of their apartment. Needless to say, it turned out to be a HUGE thing! Anyway, that's what it reminded me of. Maybe someone can remember the story..... I'm getting old.

In Texas we have the Texas Cottage Law. Bottom line.... nope, can't do it. You can make certain things at your home and sell them but YOU must deliver it personally or your direct employee. And, you can't have gross sales over $50k. And, in no state can you sell meat products from your home. I was going to hook up with this lady selling cakes/cookies but the $50k limit to a stop to our deal.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
One thing very prevalent online and that is grey hat. Altho this thread is pretty cut and dry not cool.

I was just reading an email from a popular internet marketer giving away a "FREE PRODUCT" which could be totally digital but it is more clever and profitable to make it FREE and Physical CD/DVD after YOU pay for shipping which is all profit or mostly and we all know it.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

When you are dealing with food, you are dealing with the US Federal government -- especially if you are talking about meat. That's USDA and it takes inspections and on-site inspectors. And it's unlimited liability for the whole distribution chain. It's a very good way to go to jail, get sued and end up broke. My ex was in the food business.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
So....Olive Garden and Red Lobster have competition??

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
So....Olive Garden and Red Lobster have competition??
That's true, but this person is leaving himself open to having regular health inspections and meeting the current food safety rules. He is also relying on his supplier's "food chain" for their preparation practices. Does he have an approved facility for his preparation? Food is one of the only businesses where you really can't limit your liability. And it's hard to pin down why the consumer got sick. They sue everyone in the supply chain. How can this man get product liability insurance? How can explain his business to the health department? A micro-wave is not an approved commercial kitchen.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
All fun and games until... Typhoid, Norovirus, Diptheria, Listeria, Botulism.

Where is this guy's liability insurance? Oh, he doesn't have any? Where's the restaurant he's leading people to believe he has? I'm all for low cost business but this is a crappy fraud. Just tell people you deliver frozen meals and send them in boxes packed in ice.

Edit: Ok, the video is actually pretty funny because they are... basically white-hat hacking deliveroo. The first order is shipped from themselves to themselves, and they leave a note for the customers and include the amount of money in the bag that the people spent. Just... don't actually try to pass something like this off as a real restaurant.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.