The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gullible MLM junkies. SOS

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
We had only put down the amount of money we can afford to lose. Good thing is, they are giving back refunds. I'm assuming it may take a while but so what. We are not going to mourn for our losses. Yes it does suck that it's being shut down but I guess I've proven a point to my parents that MLM's are not reliable nor am I going to allow them to join any other MLM's in the future. Keep in mind I discovered this forum 2 weeks after Zeek. Imagine what would have happened if I didn't come across this site? I was planning to put a percentage of my check each month to Zeek as I 'kind of' fell for it. Glad it never happened.

I am glad that you found this forum and that your parents won't be too financially hurt by this... You have a good perspective, keep it up!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
What has this to do with MLM?

Read the part in yellow. ACN = MLM

One of the biggest selling point for MLM is to tell you that you are an entrepreneur, a business owner. That you control your time and the effort you can put into it.

Charts like this are commonly used to hook young people that has note decided whether to go to college as they can't afford it.

Other charts talk about time, and this is great for stay-at-home moms and pops.... as they don't have the time to work full time, this is a great hook.

I am kinda the exception here. I don't consider MLM a bad thing. The problem is, as with many things, the wrong expectations.

I know lots of people that have a good revenue from it.

Problem is, most people get into it as 'the' way to make millions. Usually, that is not how it works.

If you take the time to study their materials, you will learn a lot about sales systems, sales pitches/scripts, marketing material, how to 'hire' for your downline, etc etc.

But again, it all depends on understanding what you are doing there and what are you trying to learn.

I mean, where else can you get hours and hours of sales training for just a couple of hundreds that you need to invest to become an affiliate?

Don't drink the kool-aid, open you eyes, ears and brain, and spend a couple of months learning a lot.

P.S. I am talking about the once that sell legitimate products, like Primerica, Avon, etc; not about the scammers like zeek.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
However now seeing them make that kind of money is kind of shocking.

But it doesn't change the dynamics of the "business" and I use the term "business" very loosely.

I was the only one to hold back because I want to create MY OWN FASTLANE business.

There's no rule saying that you couldn't do both. I'm sure your friends are learning quite a few things, including the most important thing of all... SALES. If you have any future intention on OWNING an MLM, then join one and see how one of the big one operates.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
It may be a limiting belief, but I will never see MLM as legitimate.

I think because I have seen friends (whom I love very much) waste their time, with no return. It actually makes my blood boil.

I wouldn't mind seeing the concept without the 'multiple levels'. In other words, if it was just an affiliate relationship I would be cool with it.

Most MLM (at least from what I can see) concentrate on selling the 'business' rather than the product that is supposed to be sold. If it was 100% about the product, I would see it as a good training ground for sales.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Are you sure they are making what they say they are making?

I know lots of mlm'ers who "know of their boss making $10K a week" but they won't show you. And you don't see their expenses either.

How much they say they make and what they really make varies greatly.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
no-thanks-pyramid.jpg

I dont want to live on this planet

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
With all the great MEMES in here, this has gone GOLD!!!!

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
MJ posted this in another thread, all about MLM. Simply hilarious
"Hey are you actually interested in money or are you just playing around here?"
"Yeah, I'm interested"
"F*ck! That's a hardcore sell, there!"
LOLOLOLOL

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Gary Halbert said :

"speakers at multi-level rallies give the illusion of doing this but, after they've got you all enthused, they give you a specific plan that makes them (not you) money... and... sends you (not them) off into activities which are often illegal and always stupid. I've said it before and I'll say it again. MULTI-LEVEL MARKETING SUCKS! Not just some of it, all of it. By the way, I heard in a speech by Dan Kennedy the average annual income of an Amway distributor is a whopping $32.00!"

http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/Newsletters/asza_another_issue.htm

Last edited:

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Thanks for the article link. It always seems so hard to find good critical thinking types of articles about anything MLM or the products they push. In my experience, stay at home moms and church goers seem to be victims of these types of scams. Recently I was contacted via Facebook by someone from my old church where I used to live. She knew I had just had a baby and is now pushing some sort of stomach wrapping product for weight loss??? Not sure how that would actually work since it doesn't affect the amount of calories one consumes.

Anyway, The pitch after asking about my baby was: I am looking to help people with their health goals...you are on my list today. What are some of your goals?

I knew from other posts she had made about the MLM wrap thing so I said I was working on getting more sleep

And she came back with some other product recommendation that she heard "works great for improving sleep quality and memory"

Ugh! It kind of makes you feel...oh, I don't know....used.... When someone you thought you were friends with contacts you just to pitch a product. It has happened twice with two different people. It also makes me wonder who is a real friend and who just views me as a business opportunity. Hmmm .

Since I have moved to a new area, I am thinking of posing the disclaimer of no MLM participation right up front just so people know where I stand and if they want to be friends sans MLM, then cool....if not, that is fine too.

I have participated in 2 MLMs. The first one, I didn't know any better, the second one, I actually liked the products and did it for the "discount" until I had all the products I wanted. Alas, never again will I join one, especially after reading MJs book....what a breath of fresh air!

I didn't know what to say back to her in response to her pitch....don't want to be a jerk but am thinking of telling her about the book
1. Consider yourself lucky, with your experience you saw the pitch coming and could choose not to swing at it.
2. She has a need. She's looking and trying (she doesn't know much better yet). Not telling her about the book might make you more of a jerk.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Thanks for the article link. It always seems so hard to find good critical thinking types of articles about anything MLM or the products they push. In my experience, stay at home moms and church goers seem to be victims of these types of scams. Recently I was contacted via Facebook by someone from my old church where I used to live. She knew I had just had a baby and is now pushing some sort of stomach wrapping product for weight loss??? Not sure how that would actually work since it doesn't affect the amount of calories one consumes.

Anyway, The pitch after asking about my baby was: I am looking to help people with their health goals...you are on my list today. What are some of your goals?

I knew from other posts she had made about the MLM wrap thing so I said I was working on getting more sleep

And she came back with some other product recommendation that she heard "works great for improving sleep quality and memory"

Ugh! It kind of makes you feel...oh, I don't know....used.... When someone you thought you were friends with contacts you just to pitch a product. It has happened twice with two different people. It also makes me wonder who is a real friend and who just views me as a business opportunity. Hmmm .

Since I have moved to a new area, I am thinking of posing the disclaimer of no MLM participation right up front just so people know where I stand and if they want to be friends sans MLM, then cool....if not, that is fine too.

I have participated in 2 MLMs. The first one, I didn't know any better, the second one, I actually liked the products and did it for the "discount" until I had all the products I wanted. Alas, never again will I join one, especially after reading MJs book....what a breath of fresh air!

I didn't know what to say back to her in response to her pitch....don't want to be a jerk but am thinking of telling her about the book
My cousin just got into the stupid MLM wrap thing. Had to unfollow her on FB, the ads were cluttering everything up.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
They earned a grand total of..............................................absolutely nothing. They weren't paid at all.

And then they claim that a real job is pyramid scam because it's in a large corporation with a CEO making millions. At least with a job, you get paid.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Sorry but I had to edit your post as you can't copy an entire article and post it here as it is a disservice to the article author/owner.

I've deleted most of it and included a link to the source material so readers can read it in its entirety there. And yup, it's a great piece.

my bad. didn't know how to quote the article.

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana
I was in it for a few months because of my curiosity. I participated in some events where some gurus were telling me and other people in the room some "secret" bullshit and that all people who aren't involving in this "great opportunity" are average (most of my friend.

The guy that got me in just called me and guess what? I told him that I don't want to do this "business". I was trying to say it politely and after all he started to ask me questions like "how much money do you make right now?" "I've seen so many people giving up just a step before reaching the goal (3$ a month XDDD) and you're one of them" blablabla etc. It was weird. He had no respect for me just because of the fact I'm not involved in this stupid game anymore. This guy also called me blind. Hahahaha

Another thing I've noticed is that they are like zombies or robots. They can't talk about anything else but products of the mlm company or "making money". They're making no value, it's simply a scam. If you want to have no friends and make a few bucks lying to people, then it's great.

Seriously, these people make me sick.
I've been collecting Robert Kiyosaki books "business in the 21st century" for the last couple years. Every time someone tries to waste my time with these pitches, I always steal their copy of the book that they seem to have an unlimited supply of.

Sitting on 6 copies right now :)

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Im sure that this isnt the case for ALL people who do MLMs, but from where I am from, most of the people who get involved in MLMs are the ones who don't really have any chance of making real money. They have dead-end careers, they aren't part of any networks, and they didn't have any wealth passed down, so making enough money to be comfortable will never be a reality. That is why they cling so hard to these schemes. Its the only way for them to live the life they want to (even though they will never reach success).

After leaving school I worked for a county Food and Nutrition office (Food Stamps). I would need more fingers and toes to count how many times a food stamp client has asked me "Do you want to make an extra $5,000 to $10,000 a month?".....:(

Last edited:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Hey all, quick question. Has anyone come across an MLM or ponzi scheme which involves investing money, but getting a payout quickly? I've got a few co-workers who are involved in one where they invest $5,000, recruit 14 people below them and then get paid out $40,000. I am trying to find information on this quick method so I can bring information to them that contradicts this, but the majority of ponzi schemes listed online are the ones that have scammed millions.

What they're involved in is illegal on most planets in the known universe including earth. The leaders will be arrested and your friends will either lose everything or take money from (and at the expense of) people below them - two very bad things. It's pure and the classic definition of a ponzi.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I did get the same call....

I was polite. She couldn't explain to me how it worked and told me she could have her friend, who enrolled her, to explain it to me.

She told me she was doing a few hundreds per week, not sure even how.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Funny how I said it was a scam like two days ago.

I guess the AG thinks the same as I do.

On Heels Of AG Examination, Zeek Blog Says Red Carpet Event For Aug. 22 Is Canceled

Here is a another quote..

The Lexington Dispatch is reporting Zeek’s offices were closed today and will remain closed “for the rest of the week.”

I wonder for how long they will be paying out now?

Also if you click on the link yo posted.. the site is now unavailable..

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012

Wow. This site has sharpened our shyster radar. Is there a prize or something for me posting this like 2 days before these clowns got the hatchet dropped on them? Maybe just a day driving MJs lambo or something simple like that.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
would love to hear your opinion now.

As much as I loathe some of these pyramid type businesses, AG don't rub it in on those that believed in Zeeks. A lot of people are going to be financially devastated by this. Unfortunately, they like so many others, are just victims of misinformation. Unfortunately the main universal law of wealth is known by few and understood by even fewer. Law # 1 There are no shortcuts or autopilots to get you there.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Jack, I think we have to give more credit to anyone who knows how to pull 100 mil. Burk can be the hired gun for that purpose specifically.

Andviv, respectfully there is sales and there is calling up people who've trusted you for years and PUSH. Unfortunately in my experience the latter is the method most employed and hence insinuated by the managers. Everyone finds their way, but it's hard to imagine "never settle for less than 3 rejections" without being pushy. If you can, do share.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I wouldn't call them crazy, just desperate and believers in the easy money fairy tale.

I suggest people to DVR the television show American Greed - you'll learn to spot the scams a mile away.

I watch that show a lot. After seeing most of the episodes are the same thing just different places, I wonder how people can't see this coming? Then they are surprised they won't get any money back.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I like the direct selling party plan model. Just have good products/services, something consumable is best for repeat orders and provide a good value to consumer and PT/FT income opportunities. The key sustainable part is in the product/service being a value, not the recruitment and biz opp fee. When companies value proposition is mostly just recruiting and splitting the bizop fee is where you get into pyramids and unsustainability. You have to provide value to the consumer and that will drive the rest. The biz model is agnostic but gets a bad rap, there are good ones and shady ones and we hear a lot about the shady ones. They are just bad businesses like any other no matter if its an online biz, shady retail biz, scammers etc...

Direct selling is just another way to go to market. Not having to have sales people, manage brokers/mfg reps to sell to wholesalers and distributors all taking a cut, then retailers doubling the price frees up commissions of 25% and more in various compensation to the sales org.

Buffett bought Pampered Chef doing 750million a year, debt free, positive cash flow i think about 10 yrs ago. That company grew fast, 200+% a year for several years. Don't know where it is now. Kitchen gadgets aren't exactly consumable so I'd say they have had lots of turnover once a person sells gadgets to their circle of friends/family.

Look at the newer ones who grew like mad. Nerium, Isagenix etc... I also think Herbalife gets somewhat of a bad rap, they've been around for 30 yrs. Mary Kay another long term direct sales org. etc...

With todays technology and especially the fulfillment and direct distribution options (amazon, ups, fedx, fulfillment houses, supply chain applications) it makes it much much easier to go to market direct vs. the traditional wholesale distribution retailer route if one chooses to.

For people on this forum who are entrepreneurial, joining one will generally not get you too far unless you are a super recruiter and bust your butt, but if you can do that, you might as well start your own and build your own equity.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
The thing that is truly bothersome is the MLM superiority complex. When they say that they are their own boss, it enrages me. Do you decide on what their health benefits are, or set their hours? Shit, can you even fire them!? LOL. It's always the kids with the backwards hats posting them holding a bottle of Verve saying "Yeah bro, whoever does 9-5 is an IDIOT!". They brainwash these kids and have no humility while doing so.

It's not the product that I don't like, well, actually it tastes like shit and for the most part you're thinking "What product", since they never teach you how to sell it. It's the "I SELL VERVE! I'M BETTER THAN YOU! YOU'RE AVERAGE!", brainwashing bullshit that gets to me.

I hate Vemma with a passion. This biggest lolz I get is when they try and convince me its not a pyramid scheme and I don't know what I'm talking about, when I ask if they have spoken to the FTC about it they shut up fast. I spoke with Mr. Vader Nat who is considered the the Kraken of the FTC, while he couldn't tell me much, everything I mentioned about Vemma pointed it to a pyramid scheme.

I tried to ask one of the high up leaders how much he pays per can so he knew how much to charge for them he told me "I don't sell anything, I'm not a F*ckin girlscout." They think they are so business smart but their ignorance is mind blowing.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Do you know what it is? It's the socially accepted entrepreneurial route. What do I mean?

Mom, dad, friends.... Guys, I'm staring a business
Response: You don't have the genes for that! You're just not cut out to be a business man! You will never afford a loan! It will fail just like my friends, uncles, nephews, friends, dad's did!

Mom, dad, friends..... guys, I'm joining amway!
Response: Good for you! That's totally socially accepted since you're not really taking a risk! Oh man, you're gonna fit in like everyone else at Amway!

It's bullshit.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
at some point she starts firing off tons of reasons why she's doing so great in this program and that she made her money back already..

Unfortunately, almost 100% of pitches to join MLM do not talk about the product they sell (at least not until the very end, when it's an afterthought).

The talk is all about 'freedom', 'building your cash cow', 'escaping the rat race' etc.

I know of one friend who got into MLM and actually sold product to people who weren't his parents or friends.

He would sell a few website packages for $2000 and get $400 of that as commission. I thought to myself: "you could have spent $400 hiring someone to make the website for them and pocket the other $1600 just like your company is doing."

The company also sold vitamins, go figure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.