The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Grew a SAAS from 0 to $30,000+ Monthly Revenue within 1 year ($1mm v.), $0 invested

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

fkacam

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,086%
Dec 9, 2015
Sorry for being a noob, but HOW DO I GET THAT "ASK ME ANYTHING" tag on this thread so it appears when people look for ASK ME ANYTHING threads?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I grew up on direct response marketing and the generally shady affiliate industry and made my first real money combining software and SEO (turned $0 into a few hundred grand, which, at the time, felt like a bajilllion). Over the past 12 months I've grown my first 'real' software business (nothing to do with SEO) from $0 to $30,000+ in MRR (monthly recurring revenue) with 85%+ profit margins (fixed costs so overhead decreases as a % as the business scales) with 9-10% month-on-month MRR growth for the last 6-9 months. 97%+ of customers pay $25-$75 per month and the churn rate is well established at ~14% or so. On the open market, with no specific M&A opportunity, this business is most definitely worth ~$600k (2 years of profit) and if you could find a really willing buyer, or if it simply continues to grow for a few months, a million dollars becomes reasonable. This all within the past 12 months, with 6-7 months of tough work and then, lately, a pretty relaxing workload of just a few hours per week.

For comparison's sake, our growth curve looks identical to Buffer's (whose figures are all public via baremetrics) during their first year, but finishes the year at 30k instead of 60k. Mostly linear as the network effects/virality isn't huge for our market.

I recently sold a percentage of my stake for a nice cash sum, and so I'd rather not disclose the exact business (I apologize, sincerely) but frankly the name of the business don't matter. I'm also not covering my tracks at all, and if you google for a few minutes you will be able to figure it out. If you do so, I respectfully ask that you do not reference the name of the business in this thread.

SAAS is the best F*cking business model in the world and I am totally in love with software. I sleep like a F*cking baby. Ask me anything about building or growing a SAAS, or software product, or, way more importantly, how to pick a market/product to build, which is by far the most important decision you will ever make which essentially predestines your fate.

If you're not sure what to ask, just post your SAAS idea here and I'll tell you why it's a good or bad idea. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
For a complete beginner - what material should they be using to take them from a place of not knowing anything to being ready to start designing your SAAS.

I see 'The Foundation' is often recommend. What other books/courses/material did you use to educate yourself for creating a successful business.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
How did you uncover a need in the marketplace?

I assume you developed the software yourself?

Could you give a generalized breakdown/describe your fixed costs? Your margins are gross or net? As in for every dollar you make you keep $.85

Thanks!

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
How were your early days spent? Why did you take an exit so early? Were you the technical person or did you hire one?

fkacam

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,086%
Dec 9, 2015
For a complete beginner - what material should they be using to take them from a place of not knowing anything to being ready to start designing your SAAS.

Go through the following books/courses before starting. You could read/do them all within 2 weeks, which is roughly the amount of time I like to let an idea sit (so the passion fades and I can see it without rose-colored glasses).

In descending order of importance:

Lean startup (or the original one, I forget what it's called)
how to start a startup Stanford course
Zero to One
http://www.scribd.com/doc/87953603/America-s-Most-Successful-Startups-Samwer-1999

The scope of the above expands beyond SAAS and into startups. Startups are different in that they require that the sky is the limit to your growth, while a SAAS could also be a software product that you build for a small market which will simply never become worth billions of dollars (which is fine). However, they also cover the fundamentals required for any SAAS.

I see 'The Foundation' is often recommend. What other books/courses/material did you use to educate yourself for creating a successful business.

I don't know much about The Foundation so I will neither recommend nor bash them. But let's be honest, they are primarily a direct response/information marketing business (and an impressive one!). I do recall when I saw their initial promo videos that they (in order to sell the dream and expand their potential buyer base) promoted the idea of SAAS requiring no money to start up, because your customers could help fund the development costs if you simply pitch them the idea.

99% of the time that is some pie-in-the-sky bullshit. The reason being that the potential customers wouldn't really be pre-buying, they'd be investing for no equity (as you might fail to build what you said you would build), and that's just dumb. But then again kickstarter has shown that with good enough marketing you can make a totally bullshit prototype and sell it with CGI graphics and people will fork over "investment" for no equity, semi-aware that they may never get the product; but businesses tend to be more rational than consumers, and most people aren't this good at sales. Also, if your price point is only going to be say $50, then manually calling a few thousand companies to rack up $50 bucks each just isn't feasible.

In most cases, you either get a technical co-founder or you assume debt/spend money.

Could you give a generalized breakdown/describe your fixed costs? ... As in for every dollar you make you keep $.85

One employee who does all customer support which probably takes them about an hour per day. $1,500 per month.
Tech stuff, hosting, etc. $750 per month
Legal fees and misc. $500 per month
and some other bullshit

It's mostly just support, which we could do ourselves, but I'd rather pay someone and not have to do something I don't enjoy doing.

How did you uncover a need in the marketplace?

Excellent question. I was a 'user' of a very similar market and saw that there was a lack of a certain type of tools in a new, smaller, similar market which was growing very quickly. For example, any webmaster who used Google Analytics during the 2000s, who then got into mobile app development, would have been exposed to the opportunity that was the lack of analytics for apps (instead of websites). Then as that market grew, the people who jumped on that opportunity made (and continue to make) huge money.

I assume you developed the software yourself?

I got a technical co-founder. We were dumb and split the business 50/50. That's the wrong way to do it. Look into how people do it in silicon valley; they use gradual 'vesting', sometimes with 'cliffs.' That's proper. That way if someone stops working or leaves the company or you have a fight, the other people don't get shafted while that due just keeps his equity and takes his salary and does no work. Look into the history of successful companies and you will see that co-founders leaving happens MOST of the time. The primary reason people split a business up into equal parts, or assign all equity immediately, is that they simply don't know what else to do. It's a bad idea.

Having a partner is similar to being married, and it has both pros and cons. But you need to be sure that your partner is going to add value to the company that justifies the equity (and compensation) which they will draw out of the company. When you recruit people who are better than you are, then you win more money back. When you recruit people who are going to contribute less than you are, then you are going to lose money on that deal. Think about it.

fkacam

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,086%
Dec 9, 2015
How were your early days spent?

Programming (I helped) and spamming Facebook groups. Literally 99% of our growth came from word-of-mouth which came from word-of-mouth which came from word-of-mouth which came from posting in Facebook groups and being mentioned on podcasts. Facebook groups are one of the greatest-value forms of advertising that exist on the F*cking planet right now, for many businesses. They are the new forums.

Why did you take an exit so early?

Excellent question. There were many reasons and many pros and cons but it boiled down to two primary things:
  1. I was not enjoying working with my co-founder.
  2. I fundamentally want to move on to a startup in a market where the sky is the limit. I don't want success to look like a company that is valued in the single-digit millions. The differences in the value of Microsoft and your local pizza place aren't justified by the difference in hours worked by, or 'smart' work done by, or productivity of Bill Gates and the restaurateur. It all boils down to one word: scale.
Also, I had to take the golden handcuffs off before they got to be too much. By our current numbers, just doing no work and waiting three months would get me personally another 100 grand in the buy-out plus salary. But I respect and like my co-founder and that wouldn't be fair to him. Furthermore, If my new business does become very, very successful, or even calculating an expected-value thereof, that 100 grand could retroactively be a bad deal.

Yeah the market is growing, but the nature of the market means that it will have a ceiling, and I don't want to 'time the market'. Imagine you hold a stock which gains 10% month-on-month. You've already made huge ROI. Do you sell or hold? Well, some people think they can time the market, and some people don't. In this case, I'd rather not.

We also have good competitors and I wasn't confident in our teams ability to beat them without working our asses off to fight over those aforementioned single-digit millions. I guess what I'm saying is I wanted to sell my pizza shop.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I was a 'user' of a very similar market and saw that there was a lack of a certain type of tools in a new, smaller, similar market
I preach this so much but I don't have a big enough voice. People keep trying to innovate areas they know nothing about but it's been proven time and time again, the best ideas come from personal experience and something you know.... Not cold calling people asking for a "problem".

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Teach me everything sensei!!!

• I love the idea of SaaS business models and only recently discovered it. In terms of making one, what skills would you recommend crucial?
  • If you know any programming skills, which do you know or recommend to build a web browser system?
  • For picking a platform to build, I take it that you just used the old 'what more value can I add and how can I market it better than established competitors'? I feel like I wouldn't know where to begin because for a start I don't use any SaaS software, but then again you can most likely make an SaaS business for most niches

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I've been all for SASS for a while now now, still trying to get something going. struggling with selling since i have 9-5 and cant sell during business hours

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Sorry for being a noob, but HOW DO I GET THAT "ASK ME ANYTHING" tag on this thread so it appears when people look for ASK ME ANYTHING threads?

I think you have to provide evidence of your statements to one of the staff members.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
I think you have to provide evidence of your statements to one of the staff members.
this most likely, i know you have to contact staff prior to making a thread as such

Especially with you having just joined today it sets your credibility pretty low

fastattack03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 15, 2013
Thanks for sharing to the community.

Programming (I helped) and spamming Facebook groups. Literally 99% of our growth came from word-of-mouth which came from word-of-mouth which came from word-of-mouth which came from posting in Facebook groups and being mentioned on podcasts. Facebook groups are one of the greatest-value forms of advertising that exist on the F*cking planet right now, for many businesses. They are the new forums.

I totally agree with this one. Facebook groups is a gold mine as long as you know what you're doing.

Anyway, here are some of my questions for you:

1. What’s the biggest thing you learned in building your startup?

2. What are some pitfalls that beginner founders should be on the lookout for, and how to avoid them?

3. What information do you wish you had when you were starting out?

fkacam

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,086%
Dec 9, 2015
sorry for formatting...

In terms of making one, what skills would you recommend crucial?

For you personally, you need a stronger tech background or a technical partner. Otherwise it will simply be extremely difficult (if not impossible) for you to compete with most of the people out there running SAAS.

Especially with you having just joined today it sets your credibility pretty low

If any staff want to send me a private message asking me asking for proof I will certainly provide it.

1. What’s the biggest thing you learned in building your startup?

I should reiterate that I don’t consider the business being discussed here as a startup, because the total market size has too low a ceiling and I spent basically the entire year trying to think of ways to transition the product into a startup-sized market and couldn’t think of a single way to do it.

I actually have started compiling a personal document with lessons I learned from this venture, which I will copy and paste below:

Personal lessons

I need partners as otherwise I get ADD and attempt to quit projects/businesses. I also have the urge to sell out at the first available opportunity. With [business], I attempted to ‘shut it down’ at least 12 times prior to us becoming successful, and then repeatedly tried to sell as soon as it was even remotely modestly successful.

I have an imperfect work ethic to say the least,

I need an office environment, with other people working on the same project, in order to build and maintain strong work ethic. Otherwise I will only work a few hours per day.

My passion fades, no matter it’s cause or apparent evergreen nature. Ethic and promises must outlast it, and work must be enjoyable and social in order to continue.

It’s important to work with people you like and get along with. Tech talent can be paid for, or bribed, or begged.

From now on, for most business ventures, partners need to be Alpha male type A personality sales people/fundraisers, whom I genuinely respect.

Partnership lessons

Don’t start a partnership with someone you don’t think could run it without you. Because you may have to sell to them and then they will have to run it without you or your shares become worthless.

Startup lessons

Never start a business 50/50 or otherwise with vested shares. Vest over time, with or without cliffs, etc.

Some things can be charged for but can’t really be built into good businesses because they lack scale/a big enough opportunity. You can make money doing these things but can’t really ever build them up to the point where quality staff can be hired, and yourself removed, etc. These are like mirages that look very similar to good businesses but they are not.

The most important thing is Scale. Google makes millions per employee and a 1% improvement to their business is massive. Thus they can outbid other firms for top talent.

Once you establish that you aren’t trading time for money, the most important thing is choosing your market/opportunity. We can show this empirically, as there are only 24 working hours maximum in anyone’s day, and local small business owners (think a tiny restaurant) work as many hours as bill gates. You will grow and shrink with your market and there is simply a much larger market for personal computers globally than there is for mexican food in some small town. Similarly, consider the success of [guy I know]; he liked e-cigs and decided to enter the market early. Had he instead taken a liking to a new type of LED light for home freshwater aquariums, he could have done an equally good job executing and made literally less than a thousandth of as much money.

You are really very much at the mercy of your market. The most important thing you do is choose your market extremely carefully, and then don’t quit.

In a big enough market, there is room for several (simply) products simply because of people’s varied preferences and switching costs. There can be hundreds of trello’s without any unifying force or monopolizing force.

There were times when I thought the sky was falling. Everything worked out in the end.

Workplace lessons

Hire people who will do great work and then get out of their way. If you can’t hire people who do great work, and this is because you can’t achieve scale, then pick a new business/market. See above. This is a bad business. Just leave it.

Everyone needs to feel valued and respected.

Everyone should feel responsible and proud of some part of the business. They should get director’s cut over their portion.

Business lessons

This is a vast oversimplification, but the general idea in business is to identify your core value and make that your core competency. Whether the rest of the business can be outsourced, or staffed by a low-paid expendable grunts, or downloaded onto your vendors, is a question of tactics. (quote stolen from HN)

2. What are some pitfalls that beginner founders should be on the lookout for, and how to avoid them?

Probably partnering with friends and the way that most people distribute equity on day 0. Partnering with friends is fine, and works fine forever sometimes just like some marriages work out forever. In my opinion, it’s fine even when it doesn’t work out forever, because you can enjoy the time you spent together and then move on with your lives. But I don’t personally like to partner with close friends because there’s very little upside and tons of downside. You can partner with someone else and still hang out with your friends after 5pm, but if you partner with them you can totally ruin the relationship.

3. What information do you wish you had when you were starting out?

I wish I knew what the specific problems with our business/SAAS idea were. Our biggest problems are as follows:

• analytics is a tough sell. the value-add/benefit to the customer is a tough sell as it is neither immediate nor direct.

• our business was highly prone to black swans and massive risks of low probability. For example there exist at least one company who could potentially sue us and whether or not they have a case the lawsuit costs alone could be a killer.

• Don’t start a business that parasites on other companies, in general. Don’t start a Twitter management interface, or a Google rank tracker, etc… Again, just saying in general.

• We were b2b which is good but our customers were small businesses to the point that it was almost b2c. The more b2b the more rational the sales decision which means less bullshit marketing (which is good).

• Follow the Linux Philosophy. Do one thing very well instead of several things decently. Our elevator pitch was non-existent because we became a tool that did a bunch of random things which were barely integrated together in a cohesive manner.

Had I known these things, I would have done something else instead.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I believe the "ask me anything" shows up automatically if you choose that category when creating the thread! Hopefully one of the mod's can fix that for you!

Could you provide some insights into promoting through FB groups please? Tried that in the past.. never seen positive results from it.

Any ways....

Selling analytics:

Do you know that 80% of your efforts come from 20% of your efforts.

That means realistically speaking, most of your traffic, leads, sales are coming from 1 source....

knowing what 20% of your efforts are bringing you 80% of your sales will allow you to focus your marketing and efforts....

drastically increasing your earnings and freeing up LOTS of valuable time for you.

I want you to take 5 min. and look at your sales... see if you can spot a pattern!

Who is 80% of your customers, where does 80% of your traffic come from, where do 80% of your sales come from?

This is why analytics is is so important. It can save you both time and money and have a huge impact on your revenue!

You get the idea....

P.s Thanks for the AMA ..... this is something very useful for people looking to get into SaaS!

fkacam

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,086%
Dec 9, 2015
Could you provide some insights into promoting through FB groups please? Tried that in the past.. never seen positive results from it.

Any ways....
Selling analytics:
Do you know that 80% of your efforts come from 20% of your efforts.
That means realistically speaking, most of your traffic, leads, sales are coming from 1 source....
knowing what 20% of your efforts are bringing you 80% of your sales will allow you to focus your marketing and efforts....
drastically increasing your earnings and freeing up LOTS of valuable time for you.
I want you to take 5 min. and look at your sales... see if you can spot a pattern!
Who is 80% of your customers, where does 80% of your traffic come from, where do 80% of your sales come from?
This is why analytics is is so important. It can save you both time and money and have a huge impact on your revenue!
You get the idea....

So this is exactly why I love the software business so much. The truth is that it's possible to sell ice to eskimos, or worthless diet pills to obese women, or timeshares to middle-class Americans. Often, marketing and sales are what actually "make the money" in a business.

Actually creating genuine value and then selling to rational actors (that is, b2b), essentially frees you from having to do any of this traditional "marketing" and "sales" stuff. Keep in mind I have a background in marketing and sales.

If you invent a more efficient lightbulb, or a new stronger type of cement, or a b2b software that costs $50 that makes the customer $100, you don't have to do any marketing other than raising awareness of your product. I know a guy who made hundreds of thousands of dollars with a kickstarter by using traditional sales stuff. But the truth is there are other kickstarters where people literally just say, "yo we made this new thing that does X" and thousands of people immediately say, "holy crap I want that."

Case-in-point: I used to run a supplement company. When I tried posting in Facebook groups for that company, my posts were reported as spam. When I contacted bloggers offering free bottles for reviews, they told me to get F*cked. We only ever made money though an optimized sales funnel built on search PPC that relied on hardcore direct response sales techniques.

With this software company, we post in Facebook groups and people say, "hey that's cool!" Bloggers find us on their own and write about us because we created something new and useful that people like. We never spent more than a few hundred bucks on marketing and all of our growth was from genuine word-of-mouth.

Marketing, other than strictly educating people on your features or raising awareness of a totally new product, is essentially a tax you pay for being unremarkable.

fkacam

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,086%
Dec 9, 2015
copying and pasting the below from a question I answered via PM. This is relevant to anyone searching for a SAAS idea:

It is my firm belief that 'email' as a protocol is a catch-all and we use it when we don't have anything better. Anytime email is used frequently to perform a task that it isn't meant for (that is, the sending and receiving of electronic letters), another software could be custom built to better solve the problem.

examples:

I use my email to write notes to my self. Obviously that's stupid. email is for sending and receiving electronic letters.

over time, people sent shorter and shorter emails to one another with shorter and shorter periods of time in between. Then chat apps were invented.

email became a medium through which customer support was handled. then customer CRMs were invented.

freelancers use email to manage the order and service process with customers. this is bad.

Anytime email is used for something over and over that isn't sending or receiving electronic letters, there's probably a business there.

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
My man, I'm currently working on a business that is essentially the same of yours, functionally. Reading your posts is like smoking a big bowl o' crack!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Normally I would've killed this thread because we don't let newbies do "ask me anything" until we determine some sort of a credential. However, you are the exception to the rule as your thread is resonating with people and clearly you know what you're talking about. We will add the AMA tag later… For now carry-on and welcome to the forum.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
but HOW DO I GET THAT "ASK ME ANYTHING" tag on this thread

You need to approve the AMA with one of forum staff members so we can verify your business. We no longer do uninvited / stranger AMA's.

Please message one of the MODS and give them the information, or alternatively, use the "contact us" link at the bottom right of the forum. Thereafter, we can add the tag.

Welcome aboard. :)

fkacam

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,086%
Dec 9, 2015
Normally I would've killed this thread because we don't let newbies do "ask me anything" until we determine some sort of a credential. However, you are the exception to the rule as your thread is resonating with people and clearly you know what you're talking about.

Please message one of the MODS and give them the information, or alternatively, use the "contact us" link at the bottom right of the forum. Thereafter, we can add the tag.

Welcome aboard.

I have submitted video evidence via the contact us link. Thanks for the welcome!

Agulenin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Aug 14, 2014
Great tips in this thread. Thanks for sharing them.

A couple of questions:

- When you created your MVP did you charge the same amount as nowadays or you gave your early customers a discount or special offer?

- Did your tech co-founder develop the entire software from MVP to polish by himself?

- Did you start developing the software from scratch or in the beginning you used 3d party software to cover some functions while still validating?

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
If anybody in this thread is actually capable of generating software sales let's team up because I can build software all day but sales dont come to your front door

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If anybody in this thread is actually capable of generating software sales let's team up because I can build software all day but sales dont come to your front door

That's not really what this thread (or this forum) are for.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
That's not really what this thread (or this forum) are for.

True. Well its not the reason why im on this forum or thread(i had posted earlier expressing my own challenges with SaaS) but i posted it b/c i felt like it was just a natural extension of this conversation. I have no problems if u decide to delete it.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014

Sort-of the opposite from what the OP is suggesting...
Actually creating genuine value and then selling to rational actors (that is, b2b), essentially frees you from having to do any of this traditional "marketing" and "sales" stuff.

you don't have to do any marketing other than raising awareness of your product

Marketing, other than strictly educating people on your features or raising awareness of a totally new product, is essentially a tax you pay for being unremarkable.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for posting and sharing!

Would love to know more details about this:
Literally 99% of our growth came from word-of-mouth which came from word-of-mouth which came from word-of-mouth which came from posting in Facebook groups and being mentioned on podcasts. Facebook groups are one of the greatest-value forms of advertising that exist on the F*cking planet right now, for many businesses. They are the new forums.

Curious what your approach was so that you didn't appear to be spamming those groups.

EDIT: Just started digging into some FB groups and wow, spammy as F*ck with things like this in an public Entrepreneur group:

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 4.51.56 PM.png

Funny! Maybe it makes more sense to get into some closed groups?

Last edited:

fkacam

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,086%
Dec 9, 2015

Sort-of the opposite from what the OP is suggesting...

So small business b2b sales doesn't really require a sales team. But enterprise b2b definitely does. Enterprise b2b is cool because the decision makers/buyers are playing with OPM (other people's money) and so it's sort of similar to selling to the government, from what I can gather. You can charge silly amounts. This is not an area I have ever tried.

Small business b2b does require a sales guy though. You need someone to do the things which spawn the word-of-mouth and organic growth which follow. If you are very socially inept or shy, then partner.

Curious what your approach was so that you didn't appear to be spamming those groups.

We joined the groups and became active a few weeks before we started using them as traffic. The tool was originally free for everyone in the groups and the idea was validated in the groups too ("hey everyone, if we built X would you use it?").

Admins were either bribable with free accounts (once we went paid), or just liked us. Members of these groups definitely felt a sense of "ownership" over the tool. If your buddy calls you up to update you on how his latest project is going, that's not spam, right?

Freemium is great partly because it makes marketing way easier. When your product is 100% paid, your promotions are seen as spam. But when you have a free plan 'for the little guy', you can always just reply, "uh... no. the tool I'm talking about is actually free forever."

Later on once we were making good money and our efforts became a bit more transparent it was a tiny bit harder and we sometimes used more traditional methods such as replying to questions people asked in these Facebook group as a blog post on our blog and then linking to it in a reply.

One of the cool things we tried was paying the top bloggers in our niche to place our adroll pixel on their blogs so we could then retarget their users around the web. We never really got this working, but I like the idea in theory.

The partner I had on this project, with whom I have made six or seven figures with over our two ventures, I met through a post or private message on a webmaster forum. lol.

When you created your MVP did you charge the same amount as nowadays or you gave your early customers a discount or special offer?

At first 100% free, then freemium, then only paid plans with free trials. Freemium makes your marketing easier (see above) but having free plans at all screw up your product management/design process because now you're getting feedback from people who aren't actually willing to pay for your product. F*ck what they want. You're also not getting feedback from people who have issues but just move on because they aren't paying so they don't feel cheated and don't care. People who make real money mostly complain when have an issue and they're spending money not getting a solution. There's lots of issues with Free plans...

Free trials are great for conversions and not just because people forget to cancel them (which we refund 100%). For a ton of reasons which I won't enumerate Free trials are badass.

Did your tech co-founder develop the entire software from MVP to polish by himself?

We did together. Later on we have at times hired development staff via odesk. This has never been a big expense and currently no one is employed. Pakistanis are top-notch.

Did you start developing the software from scratch or in the beginning you used 3d party software to cover some functions while still validating?

Great question. What we built was totally new so we did not use any '3rd party software'. However, you should use frameworks and components wherever possible. bootstrap, wrapbootstrap, ruby on rails if that's what you're into, etc. Take every shortcut you can because most MVPs are going to get tossed in the end.

fkacam

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,086%
Dec 9, 2015
Enterprise b2b can be pretty low-touch. For example if you make something that helps someone in, for example, a sales role, do their job better, and it's only $50 a month, you'll soon be able to scan through your customer list and see that you have customers who work on the sales teams at big firms like coca-cola, etc. Once you get a few customers from the same organization, it should be a pretty easy pitch to go to their higher-up/decision maker and say, "how about we just give you this software for every member of your team with a bulk discount and enterprise support?"

But companies at a certain size will reply, "Sounds interesting. why don't you fly to Chicago to explain this to us in person?" and that's not my style or competency.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Cameron, can you please send me a private link to the service you are referencing, I still have not received it. I'd like to mark this as a verified AMA.

Thanks man for the posts and contributions. Much olbiged.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.