• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Grabbing Life by the horns

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by TKRR, Dec 6, 2017.

1. TKRR

TKRR Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $460
    Time for an update:

Card Game: I see I have stalled this, but want to take on a renewed vigor. We have 13 sets to still send out, and I stopped it from being sent out last week to add 4 cards to each deck that will help promote it through social media. I thought it was a good idea.

Also found out that, “Adult Card Game” is a very very competitive keyword on google and it actually doesn’t really get searched that much. So I found 2 uncompetitive keyword groups that are not only searched for 10 times as much, but basically have no competition on the keywords. So I’m gearing our social media and websites towards those keywords.

Really need to start figuring out some more finalized graphics etc… for the set. I have basically been stalling since we have test groups and wanted some feedback, but I think the game is basically there. I’d also like to add probably 50 to 100 more cards, just so the decks are large enough. About 220 cards right now. Which seems a bit low. However, I’m not so stuck on that notion.

I have basically no idea how to promote this game on social media. It’s funny cause when I tell people about the game, they’re very interested. There are also people trying to give us money now for the game. Which I think is a good sign. And that’s just from telling them the basic premise of the game. Everyone who has been over at our house and looked through the cards have been dying laughing. So I think there is something here.

Engineering thing: My wife and I have been talking a lot about this this past week. The fact of the matter is it doesn’t likely seem like a good fit. I don’t mind my job, and the kind of work I do. But I wasn’t born to be an engineer. I have ideas on it, but I’m not throwing it out yet. However, it is going on the backburner for a little bit.

Book: Giving books to friends, even well meaning ones might not be the best for beta testers. I have gotten a little bit of feedback, and everyone tells me they’ll get me notes, but it has been over a month with no “real” feedback. A couple of people have told me it is really good, and what not…but not particularly helpful.

Blog: I realized this week that the name of the blog is way too “Clever” enough that it is a turn off. Mostly because despite the creative title of the blog, people immediately look down on it, not realizing what it is. So… I found a new website etc… for an interesting parallel market. Actually, the name of the website is something that is searched for a lot in google, but no one had the domain. So I bought it, and I think I will shift my other site their (though I don’t totally know how to do that cleanly? It is wordpress). I actually have about 40 posts there now. Want to get it to 200. There just isn’t much traffic there, but I get good responses from the people that see it. Actually, what is interesting about the blog is that it is basically a look into how I get so much stuff done, despite being a working father. Which I think could lead into some other opportunities I didn’t first see.

Music: Putting out a new album likely in the next 2 weeks. I found I had over 8 hours of recorded material….. and yet I’ve never put out an official album under my name (though I’ve been on 7 albums as either a sideman or band member). So I just want to put out an album and most likely call it “Prequel”.

OK… as you see I haven’t learned any lesson about being in too many places just yet. I guess I feel a bit like I have all these unfinished projects, and it is driving me nuts. I know I know I know I know that I need to focus on one thing. So I want to start gearing all my attention to the card game by next week.

My wife and I have made a small wager to see who can make an extra 250 bucks first next month, and it can’t be with our current jobs (like working overtime or whatever) and it can’t be with my music (cause I teach and play gigs a night or 2 a week).

Ugh… I’m freaking insane aren’t I? I need to start thinking about what will free me in the future, and not just right now. Something here has to be my focus. If I actually focused on one of these, I’d probably be way further ahead in the game. Yet, I’m always doing a million things at once. I’m quite productive, but nothing ever gets my full attention. Anyways… back to work. Got to work through this.

2. TKRR

Rep Bank:
    $460
    Focusing pretty much solely on the game and music right now.

Because I have a book and new album coming out in the next few months, I am really trying to gain steam on my social media front. I've taken renewed interest in my YouTube page, and hope that it pays off a bit.

I've grown my Instagram page from 200 to 1200 in the last few months, and I didn't even use Follow/Unfollow, and my interactions with people is pretty good per post (100-200 likes per post and 20 comments). Which is pretty much what I see from most of the accounts with 10,000 followers (though most aren't even that good).

So I'm hoping to grow my YouTube from 37 (up to 42 now) to 1000 in a next few months if possible by offering more lessons to the crazy kind of playing that I do, that will correspond with the Album I'm putting out. (basically crazy over the top guitar playing stuff). I did get permission from a pretty famous guitarist to use a cover I did of one of his songs to put on my album... he replied that he would be honored and to let him know when it is coming out. Pretty amazing. Now, though I thought I was going to put out a quick album, but I've already spent about 30 hours remixing everything (everything is already recorded), cause I want it to sound as good as I can.

I had made some cover stuff for the new album, but it was a little too serious. Some of the music is just kind of fun (8 finger tapping guitar for bluegrass tunes) and songs about Dinosaurs...so I think I need a new angle that isn't so serious, but kind of funny. The album is just supposed to be for fun, but seeing my social media stuff, usually the crazier guitar stuff I do, the more followers and interaction I get. Might as well play off of it.

For the game>

Tester sets are with every tester now. Very exciting. It will be interesting to see how it goes with everyone. They're all excited too, and people ask me a lot of questisons about the game. I'm slowly growing a social media thing, about 100 followers on Facebook and Instagram...I don't really know who to market too on this one, I mean I kind of do, but not sure how to get them to bite on it. Plus we don't have professionally made sets yet or anything. I did start getting some signups on the website though. So it's starting to move along, and it doesn't even have much actual copy or design yet. So that's encouraging.

Added a SEO package to my Wordpress page and found out that I was blocking search engines...drr... so hopefully the blog also increases traffic.

Anyways...that's where I'm at. If anyone knows how to grow a music or adult humor card game social media profile... I am very interested.

Thanks

3. TKRR

Rep Bank:
    $460
    An update:

1. Launched a Podcast this week with my wife for blog. It has gone over extremely well. My wife has gotten a ton of responses from people and it’s currently showing as popular on the iTunes store (had to learn all about that process too).
      1. We have already lined up some guests and have ideas for more. My wife is starting a life coaching business (particularly with grief stuff, and even more niche than that) and we’ve also recorded some meditations, where I made the music etc.. to great response that has lead to her already having some opportunities to present meditations to some different communities. The benefits of having a musician husband, haha.
      2. This has driven a lot more traffic to the blog, which has about 40 posts, and there might even be some hope for all of this. We are going to try and do at least 1 podcast a week, but do additional posts every time we have an interview.
      3. The podcast is motivational in nature, and basically about how to break the shackles off and get things done. Really it’s about all the things my wife and I are doing – Writing books, making albums, starting a podcast, starting a lifecoaching business, starting an adult card game (eventually kickstarter) etc… with the intent to motivate people to get their crap together and become producers.
    2. Music front –
      1. Working on finishing up the new CD, but prior to actually finishing it, I’m trying to reach out to the niche music style I’m making the CD for and growing my presence a bit. I have targeted my Instagram towards those people, and have started creating new content on Youtube that addresses that community.
      2. Speaking of YouTube, I did add about 10 subscribers this past week. I still don’t know how to grow it exactly, BUT, I see a big problem in why it’s not doing well. So I bought some lights, started recording with the proper gear (which I’ve had the whole time) and started putting together stuff that people are actualy searcing for.
      3. Which takes me to Quora.com where I have begun answering questions that people are interested in, close to my genre. And so far I’ve been upvoted on all the questions I’ve presented, and got 1000s of views on each, and I just started 2 days ago. I’m using that to send traffic to my website etc… I guess we will see. But at least I know people are searching for some of these topics and it gave me a great idea for a book that I don’t think is well represented in the guitar community.
    i. Sadly, I made a 25 minute video last night and my camera corrupted the data…. So I have to start from scratch. I have the audio though ☹​
    4. Book
    i. Still waiting on friends to give me comments on my harmony book. I’m starting to think I need to just move forward without them, or hire an editor. Cause I want to move on to my next books.
    3- Card Game
    i. As mentioned, 12 groups have the games now, still waiting on responses, but got some pics and stuff from some people who shared that they received it online. Starting to get people to sign up for the email list.
      1. Still need to get more artwork done. It sort of took the backburner this week, with the podcast and music stuff getting attention.

4. TKRR

Rep Bank:
    $460
    Will keep this short.... Learned an important lesson... it's probably just better not to use friends at all.

I wrote a book back in December, got 10 people who wanted to help read through and what not... they were very interested in the topics etc... I've basically not gotten any feedback in 2 months. 1 Person told me they really liked it and thought it was "mindblowing" stuff, but it was a little more like a fluffy answer than helpful in any ways besides making me feel good.

We also sent out our tester games (alpha testers) 4 weeks ago.... "crickets".... for people very very interested in the game, who have game nights all the time.. etc...

I'm trying to be more patient about it, but there definitely seems to be a bit of a buffer for friends to just blow your stuff off. It somehow has less value. Next time, I don't think I'll use friends for this kind of thing ever again.

I was hoping for some feedback before moving on, but I think I'm getting tired of waiting. Time to just move on and get these things out in the real world.

5. TKRR

Rep Bank:
    $460
    How about an update:

Interesting couple weeks. A lot going on, but not necessarily in some kind of order that I thought things would go.

Music Stuff:

So 2 of my bands just got a small record deal in place. It’s a very fair deal, where the company (who are huge fans of the music of both bands) only wants 10% off the total sales of music and merchandise, but will spend money promoting, has magazine connections for reviews and contacts with venues worldwide. They even want to re-release some back catalog and help promote my book. They just contacted me in the last couple days, and talks have gone really well. I wonder if this is one of those “universe” things. I have 1 of the bands albums about 80% done, but need some more instruments to record.

The album I’m working on, needs released, haven’t got too far the last couple weeks on it, mostly because I’m so tired of listening to it. But I must persevere. I just need to release it.

The book still needs musical examples, and I hope to make that finish soon. Still no word from any ghost readers… lame.

Starting to grow my YouTube channel, adding about 7 subscribers a week, for about 1 or 2 videos a week. I'd really like to get to 1000 subscribers this year (but I'm only at 53). My instagram page has been growing nicely and it is pretty much on autopilot.

Game:
    We still haven’t heard from any of the 12 groups we made the games for…wtf… Don’t send your business stuff to friends. Total waste of your time and money.

Blog/Podcast:

We have released 4 podcasts now and got really great feedback. We have also lined up 4 interviews with entrepreneur types that we know. Some artists, some more traditional business owners. We have been releasing 2 podcasts a week. So far so good. Very motivational and people seem to really like it. I’m realizing we should probably write a book based on the topics on the blog and podcast, even if it is a free 20 pager, to try and get more subscribers/newsletter people. Then eventually release a full length book.

Engineering Stuff:

I’m getting more jaded at work. Everyone is nice, but I’m procrastinating so much. It is one of those, where I’m constantly out performing and leading people ranked above me and people who are apparently “all stars”. Yet, it just doesn’t seem to matter. I can see that if I put a ton more work in, I could be done with everything so much faster, but my workload is already larger than most people I know here, and it doesn’t seem to matter. They never seem to want to advance me. So I’ve pretty much got to the point of, why bother. It’s a terrible attitude, but even at 10% I’m outperforming most of my workmates.

A friend of mine encouraged me to start an “A Team” of sorts as a company. Get 10 high performers together, then take on huge jobs and charge the same as other larger firms, but get the work done better and in about 20% of the time. I’m not sure if the industry would accept that kind of thing. Anyone ever start an A team in their fields? Can you get paid for it? Do companies prefer efficiencies, or do they prefer knowing they’re not paying larger hourly rates?

Alright, I think that’s it for now (lol). Busy life, let’s keep the mojo going.

6. TKRR

Rep Bank:
    $460
    Well, I’m kind of a mess today. I’m irritable and feeling unaccomplished. My slow lane job just takes up so much damn time and effort, it makes it very difficult to get anything going. That an just debt and all that other crap, it’s bringing me down at the moment. I am motivated still, (I seemingly never lose motivation) but the logical side of my brain is getting fed up with everything right now. And basically I have no time at all to do anything most days. I’m luck if I find time after about 10pm, when I have to wake up at 5am every day. Half the time my wife wants my time then, and then a day out of the week the kids aren’t sleeping, and then at least one day out of the week I am pretty much exhausted and crash in the kids room while getting them to sleep, only to wake up on the floor at 4am ready to start another day. Then the weekends seem even more busy, and since I’m not home because of work, my time with the family is very valuable. And then another weekend goes by without any success.

So let’s recap where everything is:

Card game: Basically no response from anyone, to say this has been a buzzkill is an understatement. It also is super annoying that 12 different families basically knocked down the walls to get a copy of the game, but 2 months later, no one has even played it. Unreal… I take that back, one group played it, but let’s just say they are not the type of people that would have ever bought the game, and we were reluctant to send it to them to begin with. It didn’t go very well, they thought it was funny, but too much was too “adult” for them. So….kind of a waste.

I know we need to just move on from it, and basically say “F” them. But what a lesson to get friends involved. My advice. DO NOT GET YOUR FRIENDS INVOLVED IN YOUR BUSINESS IDEAS AT ALL.

Book: Let’s just put this in the “DO NOT GET YOUR FRIENDS INVOLVED IN YOUR BUSINESS IDEAS AT ALL” category. 3 months later, still no comments.

The feedback loop is broken here, and I think that is part of my frustration. I would love to put full effort into one of these things, but I can’t get any of them to stick at all. They seemed so encouraging for awhile, but then I realized there is a lot of being “used” for these things. It’s like they get good karma points for “helping” out, but they don’t realize they’re not helping at all, in fact, it has been more detrimental than if no one wanted to see it.

Engineering stuff: I have turned this part of my plan off for some time now, basically it hasn’t been what I want, but because my slow lane job takes up so much of my time and effort as it is, I’m starting to revisit the idea. I’m so tired of working for the “man”. I found out recently that my salary is only about 4 grand more than new grads…… talk about feeling undervalued. And that comes from the same people that tell me I’m their “number one”….. sure doesn’t feel like it. Unfortunately, looking around, it doesn’t seem any better out there for anyone else, UNLESS, you own the company.

Blog/Podcast: This is still kicking. We put out podcast number 6 yesterday. People keep telling us they “love”, and the stats are showing there are about 30 regular listeners, which is pretty cool. Got to figure out how to get that to 300 then to 3000 etc… I’m having a hard time getting Facebook ads to work, they won’t even show my add, cause the picture has the Name of the podcast in it, and they basically say that there are too many words on the picture??? What’s that all about?

Music in general: Things are happening here and there, don’t have many gigs going on, but have multi camera video stuff coming out, Youtube channel has doubled subscribers in the last week or 2 (a whole 62 subscribers now, but I’m starting to get the idea). I just keep running out of time and music is always last. I need to finish the book, finish a record, write some new music etc… practice etc… it is just a never ending thing. However, social media presence keeps growing, at some point I’m going to start seeking some endorsements and such. I need to book a lot more gigs though. 2 of the bands I play in are basically hanging on by a thread. I need to take matters into my own hands for things… tired of the democracy.

So yeah, still a bit of a mess. I still get a sh*t ton done most weeks, but I feel kind of lost in all of it. I can’t wrap my head around where it is best to put my energy. I constantly default back to music because it is what I love, and I make money doing it already. So it feels more worthwhile, but I know that it has a low ceiling.

Anyways…. Thanks for reading about my rant. I need to re-read these books and get my head on straight. I really think I need a mentor or something, but I have to find someone who understands what it is like to be a overly creative person who has a million ideas, tons of energy, and needs help focusing on what matters the most and will help free up some time eventually.