The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Good Idea to stick with?

Idea threads

son_of_slim_jim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Mar 11, 2008
Ohio
For my Entrepreneurship Merit Badge i had to brainstorm some ideas for a Business that i would later have to design a product and sell that product or service.

I created "Plants in a Jar" it was a glass vase with a colored sand design in the bottom, sealed off and then put rocks, soil, and the plant in the top. The total cost of one thing was about $15 i sold them for about $19-$20. I only had to sell them for six months and only sold to my neighbors.

Would this be a good thing for me to continue and maybe sell at a Saturday market? (we have these in the summer in Ohio)

Anything will help

SOSJ.:thankyousign:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
a better strategy would be to sell them to saturday market vendors, this helps you go from s to b.

that being said, more profit would have to be built in so there is room for the vendors slice of the pie

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Depends on what your goal is for sticking with it. I think you could definitely do something with it. You should look into cutting your costs.

One way you could do this is to take your current profits and find a better supplier for your materials. 15 bucks seems high for your cost. This would probably require a bulk purchase, but would increase profit.

Try this first to see if you could manage bulk purchasing.... Go to IKEA (if not one near you, they have online ordering, just not sure about the plants) and check what you can find. I was just there and saw everything you need!

glass vase - 1.50
rocks - 1.00
plant - 1.50
sand - 1.00
potting soil - 6.00 enough for multiple vases

6 bucks should do ya'.

son_of_slim_jim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Mar 11, 2008
Ohio
ok that makes sense. Would they be willing to buy tho? I was only making a small profit doing it myself, although i don't know how much i could sell them for, they might have a hard time making enough profit to want to buy them from me.:confused:

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
well there are two components to your transaction

1.) manufacturing or assembling

2.) selling to consumer

If you build profit into each step, each can be outsourced. I agree with mtnman, you need to lower your costs.

son_of_slim_jim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Mar 11, 2008
Ohio
Depends on what your goal is for sticking with it. I think you could definitely do something with it. You should look into cutting your costs.

One way you could do this is to take your current profits and find a better supplier for your materials. 15 bucks seems high for your cost. This would probably require a bulk purchase, but would increase profit.

Try this first to see if you could manage bulk purchasing.... Go to IKEA (if not one near you, they have online ordering, just not sure about the plants) and check what you can find. I was just there and saw everything you need!

glass vase - 1.50
rocks - 1.00
plant - 1.50
sand - 1.00
potting soil - 6.00 enough for multiple vases

6 bucks should do ya'.

Wow thats great, thats a 9 dollar cost cut for me. I will go check out the IKEA site to see if there are any near me...i just hope i can sell enough that buying bulk will be an option.

:thankyousign:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Part of what you need to figure out is how much somebody would pay for it. If you try to sell just like anything else, a common thing, then your price may be too high. However, if you try to sell it as something exclusive, high-class, artsy, then you probably can ask for a higher price.
By the way, I think you are the youngest member of the forum, welcome aboard and say hi to your dad from me, it was great meeting him last weekend.

son_of_slim_jim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Mar 11, 2008
Ohio
I have thought about that, but when i looked into it, it seemed i would need a bigger jar or cut out the sand. In my mind the sand is what really sells it, that and the fact that you don't have to water it much.

If i was to do that i would try and find a bigger jar than i am using now. I think you can just buy the Bamboo things. The things i sell, are hand made and not sold in store, as far as i know.

SOSJ

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
+++ speed for working on a plan. Keep on researching and refining it.

son_of_slim_jim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Mar 11, 2008
Ohio
I have another idea,

I live in a smallish town, and really close to the "town square" and their are many small shops around there. Would it be a good idea to try and sell to some of the shops, so they can sell the plant?

SOSJ

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
If you can produce them at a pricepoint that allows room for a retailer and you to make a profit, then I would sell them to whatever store carries something similar. You actually have somewhat of an advantage here. You have your story. Go into the store- Hi I am son of slim jim and I am trying to earn my entreprenuar badge, would you be interested in stocking this item?

Cowxq

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Mar 13, 2008
I actually think thats a pretty cool idea, and any product that you can make and mark it as "classy" or "expensive" is something to really look into. I mean why open a hair saloon in a small town when you could try and cater to rich people in Paris.

son_of_slim_jim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Mar 11, 2008
Ohio
I have already finished the Merit Badge, so I don't think I could go in there and say, "I'm working on completing a Merit Badge", but I think thats a good idea and will think about other things to say and use as an "entry".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.