The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Golf Putting Aid

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Your thoughts on our product?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
You're definitely right about metal spikes, someone would call you out on that. I never got to wear a pair unfortunately, I would like to give them a try.

Wear them on the driving range.

Since I was a hard swinger...metal spikes were superior to me. I never slipped wearing metal...its a heated topic lol; soft spikes blow for me, especially on wet grass.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ ( Ahwatukee )
Don't want to criticize but having to put tees into the green may be limiting. Since going to soft spikes, higher end courses especially, do not like holes in their greens...especially the putting green...hence the tees may be an issue. I would shop it around as suggested and ask a few pros if this would be a problem at their course.

Perhaps design it where you can use a ball-marker instead, or maybe it comes with a couple of small plastic spikes already on the bottom...that way you can use it on carpet also?

Criticism is what we seek! With that said its not an issue with the tees for securement. Practice greens pretty commonly have tees placed as an aid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Being an avid golfer and a terrible putter, I can say that this does look like it would be a good product and something I may be interested in purchasing.

I was on a high school golf team and I think my coach would definitely have been interested in something like that. Before a match, we would just sit on the putting green for like an hour waiting to tee off, so that could definitely be used. No one really cares about putting tees into the green and some people just use tees as ball markers.

My problem is definitely not being on the same line every time, and that would definitely correct that.

Do you think the final retail price is going to be $9.99?

We believe market will tolerate a $20 price point, other aids are well above 2-3x that rate.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
A selling point I notice:

I will say that it was a good design element to flare out the corners and make a smaller impact zone. Many putting aids only allow for straight back and forth, which is great for perimeter weighted putters; this one will accommodate toe heavy putters, and the like, where the arc of the swing is restricted on many aids.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
would you really need to put tees in these anyway? i'd think you'd want the feedback of one of the guides moving if you hit it.

another twist would be having a metal or plastic track along the whole stroke, put your putter in the track and swing back and forth to give you muscle memory. you could even do custom tracks for a specific players stroke. "learn Tiger's actual putting stroke" etc...

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks again for all the feedback guys it has been invaluable! In the past few days we have gotten the product in the hand of a high profile training pro and they love it and will be endorsing it when we go live.

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
We are going live Monday 4/14 after the conclusion of the masters.

We also now have a player from Big Break Florida using our product :)

I'll provide more detail in progress thread

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Backed! Seems like a reasonable enough amount to ask for that you have the potential to hit some serious multiples if you can get some traction behind the campaign in the next few days. Any more videos planned? You could maybe drip in some short, coaching-type videos or testimonials. Adding a short clip each day would give people something to share and might sway people who are on the fence.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
$30. Can't wait to get my setup. "Putt for dough..."

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks guys seeing some familiar names in the backers section! We are 5% funded , our pro that is using it will be posting to twitter and ig today with a pic of her using it and linking to the kickstarter! Her episode of big break Florida aired last night so her traffic is up should be a good endorsement for us

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Quick update: we are at 8% after 5 days, well behind where we need to be but we are pushing forward hard. We have another BIG Break player endorsing us early next week, are lined up for the radio show next week, are playing in a golf charity event next weekend that we are small sponsors of, have made contacts at pga.com, golf digest, and the golf channel. Trying to work these angles as quick as possible. Pushing for as many backers as we can to continue pushing towards that social proof tipping point. Talk to you guys when I have a chance to update.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
This looks like an awesome little tool. I considered inventing a product, but I always worry about someone stealing it. What is to stop someone from having this same thing made, or even someone in China seeing it reproducing it and selling it right now on eBay or Amazon etc? I worry about that.

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
This looks like an awesome little tool. I considered inventing a product, but I always worry about someone stealing it. What is to stop someone from having this same thing made, or even someone in China seeing it reproducing it and selling it right now on eBay or Amazon etc? I worry about that.

How did worrying about something that may or may not happen work out for @Likwid24 and The Paint Brush Cover? Oh yeah. He got on Sharktank and got a deal! Don't worry about it! Execute it better and market it better!

Or to quote Mark Twain:
I am an old man. Throughout my life I have worried about many things. Most of which never happened.

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks @DavidofMN appreciate the support ! @Eskil thanks for the pep talk last night, you and @JasonR always seem to give great advice right when I need it! @YMCMB there is always plenty of reasons to not take action, don't get it your own way. Consider eventualities and try to mitigate them as you push forward. In the us we have filed for patent protection I can't stop what someone does or doesn't do overseas but we can protect our IP domestically.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
How did worrying about something that may or may not happen work out for @Likwid24 and The Paint Brush Cover? Oh yeah. He got on Sharktank and got a deal! Don't worry about it! Execute it better and market it better!

Or to quote Mark Twain:
I am an old man. Throughout my life I have worried about many things. Most of which never happened.

I saw that Shark Tank episode. I don't get it. Sometimes the sharks would say about a product "How can I invest in this, what's stopping someone from creating the same product and selling it?" But then they see the Paint Brush Cover and all invest in it.

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I saw that Shark Tank episode. I don't get it. Sometimes the sharks would say about a product "How can I invest in this, what's stopping someone from creating the same product and selling it?" But then they see the Paint Brush Cover and all invest in it.

Reason is simple; The PaintBrushCover is at the very least patent pending, and has probably one or more full patents underway (or already perhaps, Sal could answer that).

When the Sharks (mostly Kevin) says "what's stopping someone from making the same thing?" you will notice that they are always products that either have NO provisional patents filed, or simply cannot be even patented. Stuff like a basic cupcake recipe, etc. (more often than not if you notice, its food products but not always). Those types of products will have to rely on their strength of a well-established brand, since they cannot be proprietary. They are only proprietary in WHO they are, not WHAT they are.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.