The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Godaddy.com advice

lightweight99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 13, 2009
Kentucky
Im in the process of getting my domain name set up and as I went through Godaddy's website they offer multiple setups such as a site builder, ssl certificates, alternate e-mails and so forth. Is there anyone here who has used them? and anything that you recommend to purchase from them while going through the process of registering your domain name??

Thank You

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Get your domain name at GoDaddy, go elsewhere for hosting.

You can PM me if you want recommendations... let me know some details about your project for a better idea.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
I use godaddy for domains but hostgator for a host. I cannot speak for the quality of hostgator at this point, I just enjoy the low rates (for now)

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
I use namecheap since you get the domain, ssl and whoisguard for $9.69. I use hostgator for hosting. As for the quality of hostgator you shouldn't' have a problem. You also have live chat with them 24/7

GeekEntrepreneu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Feb 8, 2009
O'Canada
I agree with everyone here regarding Go Daddy. Just last week, I got a call from them regarding a domain name I owned was about to be renewed. Having bought and forgot about it (I bought it for a project which didn't happened), I asked the rep if I could just let the name go. Long story short, not only was I able to do it without any hassle, the rep also combined two of my accounts into one at my request.

Great customer service but their hosting service isn't that great.

Wesley Craig Green

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I'm curious as to why those of you who said you like GoDaddy for purchasing domain names but not hosting feel that way? I recall a thread on here where many were complaining about GoDaddy, regarding them secretly purchasing domain names that people would search on (or something to that affect). I actually used GoDaddy to purchase 5 of my domain names as well as hosting, and haven't had any issues. Is it the cost (I pay $45/yr for Linux hosting with domain aliasing)? Is it customer service? Is it something else? Again, just curious.

Walley

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Oct 1, 2007
I'm curious as to why those of you who said you like GoDaddy for purchasing domain names but not hosting feel that way? I recall a thread on here where many were complaining about GoDaddy, regarding them secretly purchasing domain names that people would search on (or something to that affect). I actually used GoDaddy to purchase 5 of my domain names as well as hosting, and haven't had any issues. Is it the cost (I pay $45/yr for Linux hosting with domain aliasing)? Is it customer service? Is it something else? Again, just curious.

Hosting is cheaper elsewhere especially if you were to go with a vps or ds. Also just from my experience it seems like godaddy takes forever to set some things up. For example... I was setting up a mysql database for a friend of mine and it took several hours for the database to get setup through godaddy after I click create database. With other hosts all I've done is create it, click submit, done.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Hosting is cheaper elsewhere especially if you were to go with a vps or ds. Also just from my experience it seems like godaddy takes forever to set some things up. For example... I was setting up a mysql database for a friend of mine and it took several hours for the database to get setup through godaddy after I click create database. With other hosts all I've done is create it, click submit, done.

I agree, I do not like the waiting time. I also do not care for their hosting... it is not like anyone elses and it takes to long to figure out... with so many cPanel hosting companies, it is just easier sticking with what I know and what is simple. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, I just want to use it.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I'm curious as to why those of you who said you like GoDaddy for purchasing domain names but not hosting feel that way? I recall a thread on here where many were complaining about GoDaddy, regarding them secretly purchasing domain names that people would search on (or something to that affect). [/QUOTE}
I think that was network solutions, but I could be wrong

Driven28

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 22, 2008
Citizen of the World
I use Namecheap and GoDaddy... I much prefer namecheap due to their cleaner site design and interface.. GoDaddy is upselling like crazy and it only seems to get worse. I just dislike how 'salesy' the checkout process is, they're very aggressive. Good service though, and prompt at helping with issues.

Hosting-wise, I've had everything from $5 hosting to $5,000+ hosting at Rackspace (2 servers, load balancer, firewall, and dedicated proprietary DDOS protection). One of the absolute kick-a$$ companies in the hosting world right now is MediaTemple. These guys are extremely affordable, can scale with your business almost infinitely if needed, and are TOP NOTCH at service and support. They're really good, and I doubt you'll find many who disagree. Rackspace is another great one with fanatical service, and they host some very large companies (think they even went public not too long ago).

Just my .02

(EDIT) You can also check the advertiser column on the right-side of the TechCrunch home page. These guys are the trusted news source for start up businesses, and as such, attract a lot of great hosting companies as advertisers. I've seen Media Temple and Rackspace both advertising there for quite some time, along with handful of others.

lightweight99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 13, 2009
Kentucky
thanks driven28, just the info I was looking for, lots of research to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.