The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Goal setting.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's my Daily Fastlane Planner!

Feel free to download and print -- THE PDF LINK IS BELOW (Not the image!) LOGIN REQUIRED!

FastlaneToDoListFinal-Small.jpg
(The PDF has copyright removed.)

Enjoy.
MJ

PS: The color version is for sale at ViperionPublishing.com.

Attachments

• ToDoListGreenFinal.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,493

mrlastbench

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Sep 7, 2020
India

Feel free to download and print -- THE PDF LINK IS BELOW (Not the image!) LOGIN REQUIRED!

View attachment 41455

Enjoy.
MJ

Thank you for NEW YEAR Gift! I'll definitely make use of it to reach my GOALS (with laser FOCUS)

ASINGH

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jan 7, 2022
Trinidad & Tobago

View attachment 41455

Enjoy.
MJ

Much thanks from Alicia, Trinidad and Tobago

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

calmed98

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 24, 2020
London
Studies tell us that only 3% of people in the USA set goals, and they are among the wealthiest people in the nation! Worldwide the percentage is probably lower. Why so low? There are several reasons, but one of the main reasons is lack of know-how. When I ask people why they don't set goals they often say, "I don't know how."

Isn't that remarkable? We send children to school for 12 years in America before they graduate from high school. Many of them go on to trade schools, colleges and universities. We teach them many important disciplines including history, economics, literature, science, and so forth, but we miss one critically important skill: goal setting. We award them their degrees, pat them on their backs, and send them into the world full of wisdom, but ill-prepared, almost always, to design and pursue the lives they really want.

Whether you're already a goal setter, you used to set goals and quit, or you've never set goals, these lessons will help you build a better life.

Lesson 1. Dream! Let your imagination run wild while you fill up a blank sheet of paper with everything you want to be, do or have. Many adults have lost their ability to dream and that's unfortunate. By dreaming you instill hope for your future, and with hope there's possibility. So your assignment is to dream. During this week devote at least two sessions to dreaming. I want you to create a Dream List filled with ideas. Your list should include at least 25 dreams about what you want to be, do or have.

Lesson 2. After you complete your list, wait 24 to 48 hours and read each item on your list and answer the question: Why? If you can't verbalize in one sentence why you want to be, do or have this dream, then it's not a dream and it won't become a goal. Cross it off your list.

Lesson 3: Ask the following five questions of every dream on the Dream List you created.

1. Is it really MY goal?

2. Is it morally right and fair to everyone concerned?

3. Is it consistent with my other goals?

4. Can I emotionally commit myself to finish this goal?

5. Can I "see" myself reaching this goal?

You must answer "yes" to all five questions for each goal, or cross that goal off your list.

Here are some points to ponder: Is it really MY goal or is it a goal someone else wants me to pursue? Is it the right thing to do? Will achieving this goal distract from achieving other goals? Goals are often difficult to achieve. Are you sure you can make the commitment to pursue this goal and see it through? If you can't "see" yourself reaching this goal, you probably won't.

Take time during this week to think about the questions above and answer them. Once you're finished, your Dream List will probably be a bit shorter than when you started out. That's okay because you're now closer to identifying the goals that you really will pursue and can achieve.

Lesson 4:

Ask the following seven questions of every dream that remains on your Dream List (or goals list).

Will reaching this goal . . .

1. make me happier?

2. make me healthier?

3. make me more prosperous?

4. win me more friends?

5. give me peace of mind?

6. make me more secure?

7. improve my relationships with others?

If you can't answer Yes to at least one of these questions for each goal, eliminate that goal from your list. Be sure to consider your family when you answer these questions. And do not confuse pleasure with happiness!

Here we go with Lesson 5:

After asking the questions posted in Lesson 4 you will have eliminated some of your goals. Actually, they were not goals, just thoughts or desires at this point, so you're better off without them.

Separate your remaining list of goals into one of three categories: Short-range (one month or less to achieve this goal), Intermediate (one month to one year to achieve this goal), or Long-range (one year or more to achieve this goal).

This lesson will help you quickly determine whether or not you have a balanced perspective between what needs to be done now, versus your dreams for the future.

Remember: Some goals must be BIG to make you stretch and grow to your full potential. Some goals must be long-range to keep you on track and greatly reduce the possibility of short-range frustrations. Some goals must be small and daily to keep you disciplined. Some goals must be ongoing. Some goals (i.e., weight loss, business success, education, etc.) may require analysis and consultation to determine where you are before you can set the goals. Most goals should be specific. A "nice home" is not as good as a "3,000 square-foot, Tudor- style home with four bedrooms, three full baths, and two living spaces."

I hope this was helpful. Good luck with your goal setting. :)
Thank you! This is really helpful :)

alexson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Aug 24, 2018
arizona, USA
Thanks for sharing this post of a survey that how much percentage of people in the USA think about their goal before starting a business or anything. In my opinion. it is necessary to set a goal before doing anything in life.

endure6

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 7, 2021
Thanks for offering this sheet! Prioritizing tasks and have a 'must do' has really helped cut out the noise in the last year.

I'm curious what people write for the weekly/monthly goals on the right side, since we all have goals in various areas. The most important goal? Most motivating? The business goal?

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA

View attachment 41455

Enjoy.
MJ

MJ,

The PDF you attached appears to be the same color (green) version listed for sale @ VP website.

Not sure if you intended to link a B&W version but just thought I'd mention.

Thanks for all you do for this community!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ,

The PDF you attached appears to be the same color (green) version listed for sale @ VP website.

Not sure if you intended to link a B&W version but just thought I'd mention.

Thanks for all you do for this community!

Yes and thx, I'm aware and it is purposeful, I've offered it as an incentive to folks from my YouTube channel.

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
Goal setting is a constant, slow process.

I've been goal setting since I was 17. I'm 25 now (clearly I am ancient), and I am still constantly adjusting my goals and the process of setting my goals. At the moment I have a similar cadence, I have major life goals broken down into yearly, quarterly and monthly. While I have a daily planner, I find monthly gives me more flexibility on the how the goal gets done. So far I am on track to hit all my monthly goals, and quarterly looks good. Not perfect, but goals aren't meant to be 100% achieved or they are not big enough.

For me, being kind to myself, and just getting started was helpful. I don't think people are lazy in as much as they simply are scared of not setting the 'right' goals or not doing it perfectly. It's definitely a work in progress, and I don't think there will ever be a perfect goal. I find that picking a few areas that get me excited, and then working on it, I will know what a worthy goal is or not. If I am clearly not making progress on a goal month over month, was it really a goal I wanted to achieve?

The coolest thing about goals though is looking back a few months/years later and realizing I hit them. Suuuuch a good feeling and boost of confidence.

Awesome thread, awesome group of folks. Let's get it!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007