The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Given a chance, what would you tell your younger self?

Anything related to matters of the mind

amgchristian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 11, 2012
What would you tell your younger self if you could?

For myself, I really don't know what to say because everything that I've been through made me who I am today. If I had done things differently, one slight change can lead into a dozen different outcome. What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
All my regrets have been very minor and rather superficial, since I am still quite young. To be perfectly honest, I made a few choices that I could have very easily not made, but I'm glad I made them. My goal is to live the best life I can before I die.

I may need to tell my future self to always remember that.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Drop out of college and focus on my business.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Next weeks lotto numbers lol

Seriously though, I don't think I'd do anything differently... Maybe some advise on women. Nothing financial related. If anything I've always thought I'd love to go back to my university days self and hand myself $10-20k to enjoy. Could have used that back in university... I reckon my younger self would just end up investing the 10-20k though, kind of defeating the purpose :cool:

I'd also tell myself that after graduating I eventually end up with the cute girl I've been checking out at the on campus bar, at which point I'd high five myself...

So hardly anything inspiring or thought provoking lol

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
Fortunately, I have very few regrets. There was always that missed deal/investment/opportunity, but hindsight is always 20/20. The funny thing with giving your younger self advice is that it may not stick. Every event that has happened up to this point has made you who you are today. There are countless suggested books, websites, blogs, advice that I have ignored or actually read, but didn't influence me. I would tell my younger self, read The Road Less Traveled, TMF , Rich Dad, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World, The Way of the Superior Man and on and on and on....all amazing books that changed my life for the better, but my younger self may not have been ready for any of it. I would say read steve pavlina, buy double your dating in high school instead of college, GO TO B & P ;), get off your lazy a$$ and DO WORK but I probably would have ignored a lot of it.

We are all very fortunate to have even found a place like this that is supportive in many ways. Everything in my life has led up to this moment. I used to be a bum, play video games all day and drank WAY too much in college. What caused me to change? To want to better my life. To try to make something of myself. To try and change the world for the better. Was it all luck? I think we underplay how lucky we are to be in the exact situation we are in. Like the OP said, each small change could lead to a dozen different outcomes. Reminds me of that simpsons time travel toaster episode where homer goes back in time and a small change then affects the future majorly.

Anyway, I think it would be impossible to recreate the exact environment to lead up to this very moment, or even speed the process. I would recommend life changing books, websites, experiences, and hope they would affect me back then in the same way. It is difficult to say if it would work though...

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
This is a very interesting subject... thanks for posting.

In fact, if you watch your book stores you will see soon a book coming which includes similar comments to their younger selves from themselves from some of the more successful and famous in this world and they span from all walks of life. I am looking forward to reading it.

Anyway, I am not too regreful of life thus far. Like most of you, I have had many pains but they are behind me now and they have served to make me who I am. I am thankful for them -- sure as heck was not thankful while I was in/going through it though.

Today, I would tell my younger self to first of all (1) to do right even when it cost him.

(2) embrace the conflicts in your life.

(3) be bold in all encouters because the average person you will encounter do not see you as timid as you think you are and when you encounter the few who "can" see your timidity, refer back to point (2).

jljtech

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 12, 2012
Florida
Topics like this are great for personal reflection. In a sense its what we want to tell ourselves now since we have seen the error/benefit of our ways in the past.

1. Have more fun in college instead of slaving away 17hrs a day. You already know how to work hard, stop and smell the roses.

2. Meet way more people! They will be central to unlocking your future potential. (Don't be shy)

3. Take action on that website idea you had. Dont let _____ do it instead. You know the one.

4. Stop wasting time on "her", she will soon be a distant memory. Learn the lesson and MOVE ON!

5. Appreciate where you are right now and recognize that people have it much worse!

6. Never let ANYONE convince you to quit. You can do anything you put your mind to.

7. Dont carry the hate/anger with you, use it to elevate yourself and be free.

8. READ TMF , READ TMF , READ TMF!

9. Your fear is a result of you living within your mind. It is rooted in the non-existential. Don't be afraid and move forward.

10. There will always be someone better. That does not have to disccourage you. Have confidence in yourself.

Just my input. I could talk more about ideas and intellectual flatulence ala TMF but if you have read it you know that you need to take action and execute. Execute like your life depends on it.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Buy; gold at $600.00, Microsoft stock early, Google stock early. Selling and marketing is not manipulation, but giving people a reason to spend money they are looking to spend anyway on your stuff. Shortcuts usually aren't.

amgchristian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 11, 2012
I like all of your responses! I am thankful I've learned plenty of lessons the hard way. I will do my best to apply this to my everyday life. You guys are great, keep 'em going!

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I would tell my younger self to trust my gut, would be right way more than wrong. Biggest regret was not building an app then watching someone on another forum talk about building the almost exact same app and make TONS of money off it.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
I would tell my younger self to actually listen to my father when I was a teenager. He actually knew what the hell he was talking about! And maybe some minor stuff I know now that would also get me to work a little harder a little sooner and take more risks at younger age.

MNentre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Dec 11, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
-In the early stages of a business you don't need Microsoft Excel
-Network! Its a lot easier to meet people when you're younger and can use the student/learning card
-Learn Chinese
-Learn to Program

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Don't create a product and then try to find someone to sell it to. Create something people already want and then sell it to them. Test your ideas before committing money and time and blood to them. If your passion does not translate to fulfillment of a need or desire in society, then it is just a hobby and not a business. :bgh:

Don't listen to the stories of the entrepreneurs who got VC's to back them and went on to become millionaires and billionaires, then get deflated because you can't follow in their footsteps. Write your own destiny by bootstrapping and funding your business with sales. Sales will prove there is a market of people willing to pay for what you have. :eusa_naughty:

Don't take it personally if no one wants your product/service. It is not an attack against your character, but against your idea(s). [I still struggle with this one.]

Do everything in your power to solve the riddle: how can I simultaneously create an abundance of both time AND money?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.