The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting my Masters a waste of time?

Arlec

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 22, 2012
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to post a quick question and gather some opinions.

I just graduated college with a Communications degree (I was unsure of a direct route to take, but I felt I needed some guidance and to be honest, wanted the college experience). I was also able to study abroad in London and travel around Europe which was a great character building experience.

All along I've wanted to be in the music industry in one way or another, but now this passion is stronger than ever. I found a program at Berklee College of Music to get my masters in Music Business and Global Entertainment...BUT it is based in Valencia, Spain. Now I wouldn't normally be gung-ho about futhering my education in an institutionalized setting, but being that I would be able to travel more (a huge plus for me), and gather more worldly opinions within the industry, it would help me when STARTING my own business within the music industry after (which is my goal).

What do you guys think? It's only a year program, with a lot of useful classes (as it highlights entrepreneurialism within the music industry) and it could give me the opportunity to network overseas, work with internships, and acquire more knowledge first hand of the industry from professionals.

Thoughts?

I appreciate any and all of your input!

Thanks,
Alec

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Immersing yourself in a foreign culture for a year will be a rich and rewarding experience. I'd jump on it - sounds like a
blast!

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
No one can answer that but you. The experience of living in a foreign place will be priceless tho.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Foreign travel would be a plus...but what are you wanting to do out of the gate; start a business or get a job? If I was looking for a job, before I got my masters, I would call some employers of interest in your field and get the opinions of people in the industry. Its only a year long, time may not be the issue, is this a good monetary investment? Who do they hire, will this masters degree give you a leg up? Perhaps there are some employers in Spain your interested in?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What is the cost? Will it shackle you for life? Paid for? Does your business requires a Masters degree? You're asking an opinion on a multi-variat equation with the constants unknown, since they are inherent in yourself.

The experience could be a lifetime of memories ... but so are vacations that you can't afford.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
What is the cost? Will it shackle you for life? Paid for? Does your business requires a Masters degree? You're asking an opinion on a multi-variat equation with the constants unknown, since they are inherent in yourself.

The experience could be a lifetime of memories ... but so are vacations that you can't afford.

Very good point, I was thinking after my post before I came back and saw your post. After I wrote that the experience is priceless, I also realize that him retiring in 5yrs would be even better, and then he can travel anywhere he wants. Like I said, only he can answer it, but you are absolutely right, he needs to look at what it will cost, if he's going to be saddled with debt, then he ought to skip out on it. If it's not going to cost him money, he still needs to look at the opportunity cost towards other things he wants to do. He might have a business idea on hold, and his opportunity window to capture the market might be the next 8 months, in which case, he should also skip it, and get to work.

MartinV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Sep 17, 2011
I don't know much about the music industry, but I would guess that it isn't exactly hung up on formal education. Of course, you should be very aware of the value (or lack thereof) of the degree in your field. If you don't then you REALLY need to start doing research on your industry.

I think the cost would be the big decider here for me. It would be a nice experience to live in Spain for a year, especially if you come out on the other side with a useful degree. However, you need to know what you're paying for, a vacation or a degree. Don't get me wrong, I think both can be fine, but you need to know.

Having said that, I would say that any advanced degree is almost always a waste of time unless you're getting it to fill a very specific need (that you are 100% sure that the degree will fill). Also, contrary to the actions of many, not being able to find a job isn't usually a problem that another degree will fix.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I think the cost would be the big decider here for me. It would be a nice experience to live in Spain for a year, especially if you come out on the other side with a useful degree. However, you need to know what you're paying for, a vacation or a degree. Don't get me wrong, I think both can be fine, but you need to know.

Having said that, I would say that any advanced degree is almost always a waste of time unless you're getting it to fill a very specific need (that you are 100% sure that the degree will fill). Also, contrary to the actions of many, not being able to find a job isn't usually a problem that another degree will fix.
I agree. What's the cost and would you learn just as much moving out there for a year and spending time networking with people in the industry? Might turn out to be cheaper and more valuable.

Arlec

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 22, 2012
I probably should have mentioned this early on...but the degree focuses on entrepreneurship within the music industry. Throughout the year various classes highlight the industry and where it is headed within the next five years in order to help students be successful and forward thinking. Does that change any opinions?

Thanks again for all of your input guys.

MartinV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Sep 17, 2011
I probably should have mentioned this early on...but the degree focuses on entrepreneurship within the music industry. Throughout the year various classes highlight the industry and where it is headed within the next five years in order to help students be successful and forward thinking. Does that change any opinions?

Thanks again for all of your input guys.

Doesn't sound terribly useful to be, but this is a very industry specific question that you should really be researching in places devoted to the music industry. You may get lucky and find someone with relevant experience here, but you'd have much better odds in a place with lots of music industry veterans. Imo, before making any decisions, you need to spend a at least couple of weeks learning everything you can possibly learn about your industry.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have my BBA, I just pay about 1200 bucks/month on my student loans (mostly to pay them off faster). It blows, that is seriously an S class and a new bay boat. I do have em down to about 5k now. I'm not even using my degree to get me anything. I might as well have just said I have a BBA on linkedin to lend credibility because a little credibility is all my $120k degree got me.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
How many more of these education threads are we going to get. Can someone make one of them a sticky, so the same questions do not get repeated?

Only you can decide if its worth it. As MJ says, there are too many different variables in everyones life, no one person is the same. :)

Chris_Willow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 8, 2012
EU
Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't pay for my BA. Luckily, it's easy to get free education here.
Unless you've got a huge social circle, getting your masters can keep you sane while you dwell on your business.
Not to mention you'll be studying something that interests you, which is great.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think you should go for it. We need more MBA's and less people with real world experience. The people the are the most impressed with MBA's are... other people with MBA's.

I think MBA's make the best sandwich artists.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I think MBA's make the best sandwich artists.

Hey! I have an MBA... hahaha... I actually took a job as a cook at a restaurant after I graduated with it, though... lol. Seriously. So, yes, sandwich artists, yes.

(The reason I took the job at the restaurant was so I cook work on my business, though :)

My personal advice would be to only do it if you absolutely NEED to, or if you don't think you'll do anything else constructive with your time AS LONG AS it wouldn't put you in debt.

While my masters classes were interesting and fun, and I did learn (I, too, did an entrepreneurship focus), it wasn't anything that I couldn't have learned by reading and real-world experience.

You're asking an opinion on a multi-variat equation with the constants unknown, since they are inherent in yourself.

This is pretty much the answer, though. It's whatever you feel like you should do.

Good luck on making your decision!

How many more of these education threads are we going to get. Can someone make one of them a sticky, so the same questions do not get repeated?

Ditto.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
AS LONG AS it wouldn't put you in debt.

Right on...if you want to go the job route then go get a job, with a large or midsize company, ask in the second or third interviews if they would pay for your MBA, and get the company to pay for it...I would never pay out of pocket for an MBA.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have a BBA and just hired an MBA... :D

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Getting an education when you can afford it and when you do it for the right reasons... can never go wrong.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.