The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Geo-arbitrage: a food product

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Master K. Stone

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 21, 2017
Edmond, Oklahoma
Hello, everyone!

I don't post often on the forum as I am a man of few words. So I'll briefly explain what my situation is and how my business is going.
I arrived in the USA 4 years ago (from a third-world country) as a student and could not work on a business as it would go against my VISA stipulations.

I got a one-year extension on my VISA that allowed me more leeway. I came from severe poverty, and I do not want to go back to that. Right now, there seems to be no long-term way for me to stay in America legally and long term. This might be my only chance to start a business in America. So I decided to give it my all, in hopes that it might provide a decent future.

So, I'm in the midst of execution.

I watched MJ's YouTube video on going from flat broke to rich (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_58zPgArb4
).
I started working on the set of stairs. (I think after reading TMF /Unscripted and having a wake-up call, everyone who should watch this video. It is the closest thing you will get to the "secret" to wealth if you come from that school of thought).

Concerning what is covered in the video linked:

• I got a job at Walmart paying $17/hour. (My foundational job).

• I skipped specialized labor as it was not necessary in my case. (Foundational job covers living costs with change to spare).

• My specialized skill is buying used rental equipment and reselling it on eBay (this makes me a month's worth of wages with about 10 hours of work. Only two drawbacks are it is not consistent/ I do not always have liquidity).

• My specialized unit is a food product I'm bringing to the West from southern Africa (where I'm from) called biltong.

Focusing on the unit, this is what my Fastlane business revolves around.

CENTS framework.

Control: Simple enough. I am starting and growing the business, so I will own most of it.

Entry: While it is difficult to start a food business, many people have done it. Working at Walmart has shown me this. There are huge beef jerky/biltong companies out there like Jack Links and Stryve Biltong.

Need: People have to eat, right? Beyond that, how I differ is that I bring a fresher product to the shelf compared to beef jerky. Everyone I've given samples to agrees that biltong is tastier. It also undergoes less processing and has fewer chemical preservatives (good for the health-conscious eater). It will be a bit more expensive than jerky, but I think the value provided is much better. This is not just me speaking. I've made a few sales, and all the customers have been very happy and said they would buy again.

When compared to the big biltong producer in the USA, the stuff they sell in the supermarket is rather disappointing. When I first bought it, I thought to myself, I can do better. Not sure yet if I'll go to supermarkets first or try what the founders of RxBars did and try a niche, such as the local gyms.

Time: This is a production issue. We will deal with this bridge when we get there.
Scale: The big issue is distribution. It is a good product, but it needs to get in front of people. Again, I'm not there yet. We will deal with that obstacle when we get there.

What have I done so far?

Sold my first $200 worth of product at a 100% profit margin. There was a lot that went into that, such as building the equipment to undertake the process, learning how to make the product with ingredients from this side of the world, providing samples, and learning how to package the product, buying the equipment, etc.

Designed my own food label. It is not professionally done. I'm aiming more for a rustic look. I cannot afford a graphic designer yet, and I am somewhat skilled with it. Below is my food label. What do you guys think?

Savori Biltong label.jpg

In the process of obtaining the necessary food permits to sell on a larger scale. Given the nature of the product, I can't produce it in my kitchen. I have contacted a commercial kitchen to see if we can set something up. A bit pricey, but it is a price I'm willing to pay.

Once I obtain those, I will form an L.L.C. and figure out a way to start distributing on a larger scale. I'm giving myself a few weeks to sort this out. Lots of paperwork, and I'm new to this.

This is just the highlights. There is alot more going on in the trenches, but you can only understand if you've been there before.

Thanks and I'll update.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Savori Biltong label.jpg
    Savori Biltong label.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Savori Biltong label.jpg
    Savori Biltong label.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 6

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 10, 2022
I first have to congratulate you for taking action!

You are not going to like my comments though.
I like to see people excel, and this is why I am BRUTALLY honest:
I am somewhat skilled with it
This is not a label from someone somewhat skilled. Please raise your standards!

The label is elementary school level. Since you are not skilled, that is fine, use premade templates from Canva and add elements that match.

For example, the flowers are irrelevant with beef jerky. You need consistency with your brand colors and elements across the board.

Recyclable symbols are to be used if the label or container is recyclable. If for example, it has a shimmer of plastic it is not recyclable (plastic is technically not recyclable but this is a whole new conversation). "Nutritional specifics" ?...Nope, Nutritional facts. Add nutritional information label and barcode. "Made with only 5 natural ingredients". The rest is chemicals?
I can go on and on with this. Please ask someone who has a good command of English to help you with this.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Wishing you the best of luck and watching the thread with interest, as I've also thought about food geo-arbitrage, Greek snacks specifically.

Master K. Stone

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 21, 2017
Edmond, Oklahoma
Update.

I've hit a massive barrier to entry. For the product I'm wanting to bring to market you cannot simply mak it in my kitchen and bring it to a farmers market. Food laws state that I need to produce it with a co-packer.

The quotes I received are kinda crazy. But I think I can pull it off.

Will update when I figure this out.

Thanks.

Master K. Stone

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 21, 2017
Edmond, Oklahoma
Hello, everyone.

I am now taking a slight detour from the biltong, since the co-packers require a large upfront payment.

I need to save up for that. That entails raising my rate of pay.

I have been saving up, and just purchased a pressure washer and some attachments. I'm hoping to launch ads on Facebook and get some clients for house and driveway cleaning. It won't make me rich, but it will provide a higher rate of pay.

The original specialized skill I had, did not work well with the region I moved to so I had to re-group and change tactics.

Let's see what happens!

KM

AppleTree

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 27, 2023
Looking forward to your progress! It's great how you keep adjusting your plan to work with the different issues that come up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.