- Joined
- Jul 28, 2019
- Messages
- 95
Rep Bank
$825
$825
User Power: 280%
Hi everyone,
My name is Lewis, 25, from the UK. I’m the owner of an artisan ice cream company here. It’s my second year in business and, while it’s been incredibly hard at times (as I’m sure you can all relate), I’m very happy and things are going pretty well.
I was born and grew up in Italy, and lived there for 17 years before moving to the UK. Despite being a shockingly bad student my whole life, I ended up adapting really well to the new UK school system and went on to study Chemistry at university but realised about halfway through my degree that I wasn’t a scientist and ended up graduating with very little idea on what direction to go in. I moved back home and ended up doing any work just to get by. After an awful assembly line type job, I quit and moved to a job that gave me lots of time and space but terrible pay, I had time to focus and recollect and think about what to do with my future.
I’d always had entrepreneurial drive and ambitions to start and run my own business and with nothing to lose, I threw all my savings and a large loan at getting a “gelato food truck” business off the ground. I went back to Italy to learn to make ice cream, bought the best machinery and equipment and after what felt like a mountain of challenges and compromises, I started serving ice cream in May 2018.
The business consumed every ounce of energy and moment of time for the first season, the product was incredibly well-received, great branding, service, etc. but I ended the first summer burnt out and with not much financial success to show, at least I survived. As winter came and went the second season started (this year) and it’s been a totally different experience. I’ve taken on employees, started wholesale and am in the process of opening a second location, but I’m realising that the current growth model isn’t sustainable (going to be making threads about this) so am educating myself for the next big step.
My main focus is now on taking all the positives of my business and what’s working and developing a model that can actually scale. I know, easier said than done, but, from my limited experience working with and seeing other business owners, most of them aren’t even thinking of growth.
Financial freedom is a loose objective, I’m much keener on seeing how far I can take the business and (as cliché as it sounds) go through the “journey” of starting a business from zero and turning into something significant and becoming that person that actually walked the walk.
Anyway, I don’t know if intros are normally this long, but that’s most of it all. I look forward to posting and learning and sharing knowledge on the forum.
See you around.
My name is Lewis, 25, from the UK. I’m the owner of an artisan ice cream company here. It’s my second year in business and, while it’s been incredibly hard at times (as I’m sure you can all relate), I’m very happy and things are going pretty well.
I was born and grew up in Italy, and lived there for 17 years before moving to the UK. Despite being a shockingly bad student my whole life, I ended up adapting really well to the new UK school system and went on to study Chemistry at university but realised about halfway through my degree that I wasn’t a scientist and ended up graduating with very little idea on what direction to go in. I moved back home and ended up doing any work just to get by. After an awful assembly line type job, I quit and moved to a job that gave me lots of time and space but terrible pay, I had time to focus and recollect and think about what to do with my future.
I’d always had entrepreneurial drive and ambitions to start and run my own business and with nothing to lose, I threw all my savings and a large loan at getting a “gelato food truck” business off the ground. I went back to Italy to learn to make ice cream, bought the best machinery and equipment and after what felt like a mountain of challenges and compromises, I started serving ice cream in May 2018.
The business consumed every ounce of energy and moment of time for the first season, the product was incredibly well-received, great branding, service, etc. but I ended the first summer burnt out and with not much financial success to show, at least I survived. As winter came and went the second season started (this year) and it’s been a totally different experience. I’ve taken on employees, started wholesale and am in the process of opening a second location, but I’m realising that the current growth model isn’t sustainable (going to be making threads about this) so am educating myself for the next big step.
My main focus is now on taking all the positives of my business and what’s working and developing a model that can actually scale. I know, easier said than done, but, from my limited experience working with and seeing other business owners, most of them aren’t even thinking of growth.
Financial freedom is a loose objective, I’m much keener on seeing how far I can take the business and (as cliché as it sounds) go through the “journey” of starting a business from zero and turning into something significant and becoming that person that actually walked the walk.
Anyway, I don’t know if intros are normally this long, but that’s most of it all. I look forward to posting and learning and sharing knowledge on the forum.
See you around.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
