The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
anybody reading "lazy mans way" the pdf? what does the acronym ISH mean? (on page 72/ 83)

"Many of the people who couldn't imagine themselves making $50,000 a
year wound up making that much and more-because the real estate firm had a training
program to raise their ISH."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tbdahl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
May 2, 2014
Finished 'Scientific Advertising" and "The Boron Letters"! Great reads so far, finished in about 4 days. Going on to "Breakthrough advertising" now, and actually enjoying this much more than what I thought I would!

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
anybody reading "lazy mans way" the pdf? what does the acronym ISH mean? (on page 72/ 83)
"Many of the people who couldn't imagine themselves making $50,000 a
year wound up making that much and more-because the real estate firm had a training
program to raise their ISH."

It looks like a typo for ISI.

Synz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 11, 2014
In on this.

I'm not a master speed reader, but I do ok. Once you get past the initial "overcoming an old habit" phase, it gets much easier. I highly recommend learning how to speed read to anyone that reads much at all. Instead of reading a book in a month or so, you can cut it down to a week, or even a day. Time is my friend and yours. Don't waste it

Sam Beddall

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 9, 2014
England, UK
Awesome thread! As a professional copywriter-turned-entrepreneur myself (agency, private commercial and freelancing), I can't praise this 30 day course enough. Stick with it!

Or, if you want the centre of the issue copy out this quote by Claude Hopkins and put it somewhere you can see it everyday:

You are presenting an ad to millions. Among them is a percentage, small or large, whom you hope to interest. Go after that percentage and try to strike the chord that responds. If you are advertising corsets, men and children don't interest you. If you are advertising cigars, you have no use for non-smokers. Razors won't attract women, rouge will not interest men. Don't think that those millions will read your ads to find out if your product interests. They will decide at a glance - by your headline or pictures. Address the people you seek, and them only.

Believe it or not, the writing itself isn't the crucial part. You'd be surprised how many clients throw out what you think is best and ask for something simpler. And they are always right. They know their markets back to front (usually!), and know how, when and where to get the most from their audience.

Great market knowledge, the right person, at the right the time, in the right context is what makes the difference.

Know thy customer and your copy will be as effective as it can be!

Wow, that took a long time to write out on the kindle. Hope it helps!

Good luck,

Sam

Synz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 11, 2014
Powered through Scientific Advertising, now I'm working through Ca$hvertising (I know it's not on the list, but the book is basically one long piece of copywriting, so it can't hurt). Several ideas that I've had myself or heard/read somewhere have been consolidated by this book, and my vision only seems to be getting broader and clearer. Plenty of interesting material in those pages, and I'm getting a solid idea where I'm heading with this already.

I can't wait to finish this challenge, just so I can prove what's really possible in just 30 days.

Garcon_Bob

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Here is my progress report:

"Scientific Advertising"

"The Robert Collier Letter Book"

"Tested Advertising Methods"

"How To Write A Good Advertisement"

"The Gary Halbert Letter" (all back issues)

"The Boron Letters"

"The Lazy Man's Way to Riches"

"Break-Through Advertising"

"7-Steps To Freedom"

Robert Collier Letter Book was definitely long. My brain almost imploded. Great info in it for sure. Favorite one so far is Tested Advertising Methods. Great read!

On to How To Write Good Advertisement.

Good luck to the rest of you.

smithsta

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
May 4, 2014
Got my hands on The Boron Letters on the weekend, half way through it and I have just stumbled across this thread. Going to try this!

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Surprised i couldn't find any online pd's for some of the books
i don't have the money so i guess il have to wait but can't wait to start!

Garcon_Bob

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Surprised i couldn't find any online pd's for some of the books
i don't have the money so i guess il have to wait but can't wait to start!

Hey @BlakeIC you should hit up @Enki. He set up a shared dropbox folder with all the pdf's and a F*ckload of other resources. Drop him a PM with your dropbox email. I'm sure he'll add you to it.

Thanks again for adding me @Enki!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
I love how as I'm doing this challenge. Whether reading, or writing. Suddenly I think about the little one-liners that ICK and Zen posted on the forum and thing 'aaaah, so THAT'S why they want me to do this/this way/in this order etc'.

It's awesome.

S

stranger

I've not still taken this challenge just because I don't see how reading these books can help me in making money. I'm not going to become a copywriter. However, maybe I'm wrong.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Eh. You can always hire a copywriter.

But understanding the why is nice. I've been having consecutive eureka moments every-day. While sales is full of bullshit about coercive actions (sorry, ******CLOSING******) Copy tells you why people buy.

Villain

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 26, 2013
Glasgow, UK
I'm well up for this! Been through some of the material already but would be a good exercise to do the whole thing.

No way am I shooting for 30 days though...

Anybody who wants to have a chat about anything copywriting related feel free to PM me and I will add you on Skype. Apparently there is a Skype group for this thread?

S

stranger

well, i'll collect the all books and then be starting. But it'll take more than 1 month to read every book. I can only spend 2-3 hour on daily reading.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
@stranger : I find learning how to copywrite valuable because it really helps you figure out that whole sales mindset. My whole paradigm has changed, I see things totally differently from how I did before. I am much more aware of how things are sold and why certain things work and others don't. Even if I end up never copywriting my own things, that is valuable. You can also tell much more easily if the copywriter you're hiring is good or is bullshitting. ;) I think this challenge has taken more than 30 days for most people here, just keep learning and progressing, that's what really matters.

@Villain : I'm not aware of a Skype group, but I'd be happy to join in, if people end up starting one. Join all the Skype groups!!! My username is verschof.

LIkeafox

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 3, 2014
New York
The books in the challenge have many more lessons in them than just how to be a good copywriter.

Synz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 11, 2014
Made a couple of practice copy blog posts (the products are entirely fictional) any criticism will be appreciated. Enjoying the challenge so far

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
ok I am humbly done and I will admit I had to speed up going through the books faster than I would have liked to over the past month due to personal reasons. Now that I am done I will just do patch work going back over books to look over notes and touch ups if necessary.

Good Luck with the challenge.

P.S. 7 steps to freedom had so many nuggets I had a hard time taking notes. I really would need more time with it under other circumstances to break it down and be done with it. Oh well. :embarrased:

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Good job, @oldscool! You're far ahead of me! How does it feel knowing all this stuff? Think you could crank out a fantastic sales page?

Synz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 11, 2014
My phones SD card is gone, along with most of the books for the moment. Got the Schwab book still so I've been working through that. I like the bluntness , but it really doesnt say much about your average consumer's intelligence...

Guess there's a reason why not everyone is on the fast lane

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Good job, @oldscool! You're far ahead of me! How does it feel knowing all this stuff? Think you could crank out a fantastic sales page?

if you ask me I already know how to I just didnt know the reason. I feel the same. I dont feel like I know it cold. Sure I can reference back to the books but I dont really know this stuff cold. Only way I will know what I dont know is to give it a whirl. :)

Garcon_Bob

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 25, 2014
Hong Kong
A little heads up.

For those of you finding this a bit overwhelming, especially the back issues of "The Gary Halbert Letters" (I think it's 1000+ pages of material), for the sake of completing the challenge you really only need to read up to April 1987, which is when Gary first issued the challenge. I recall someone else mentioning this somewhere in the thread.

Those of you who have completed the challenge, did you guys end up reading all the newsletters?

RSN

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 5, 2014
Someone add me to the Dropbox yesterday. I don't know if it was Enki or someone else but whoever you are; thank you!

And I'm in too!

daniel21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jun 2, 2013
Here is my progress report:

Scientific Advertising

The Robert Collier Letter Book

Tested Advertising Methods

How To Write A Good Advertisement

The Gary Halbert Letter

The Boron Letters

The Lazy Man's Way to Riches

Break Through Advertising

7 Steps To Freedom

I liked Scientific Advertising felt it had some really good principles. This no notes is already killin me on the first book.
But I'm just going to keep on going and follow the process :rockon:. Next up is "The Robert Collier Letter Book".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.