The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gaming industry

Baku85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 19, 2017
Spain
Hi,

I am very interested in as mentioned in title, gaming industry.
I have did some research and people on different forums like gamedev, reddit etc. mostly are complaining that well it is oversaturated, or you need to have a huge amount of money, or luck and many other in my opinion excuses.
What I see is also that most of them, focus just on game ( well most of them do not even focus on doing great game, but some reskinned clones or let's call it student projects ), what is missing is marketing I think.

For sure people need to love game, normal need - many are playing games, some of them like 5 minutes simple games, some like FPS, RPG etc. Place for everyone. Gaming is giving entertainment.

How to be better than most of them ? Probably build audience using FB, twitter, instagram etc.
I don't really know how to get on it, except building great product.

Can you guys share your thoughts, on which focus, what to books read etc ?
Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
You need to explain more about your current life, and financial situation. What you know already, your experiences in game dev and the industry as whole. What's your current financial situation. What you want to get out of game dev as whole and what are your expectations?

Baku85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 19, 2017
Spain
You need to explain more about your current life, and financial situation. What you know already, your experiences in game dev and the industry as whole. What's your current financial situation. What you want to get out of game dev as whole and what are your expectations?

Current life - well I am software developer but I am doing backends for SAAS etc.
So coding is my life, this part is not a problem.

But I have no exp in game dev.

Financial situation is good :)

From game dev I would like at start do it as my after work projects, but go on to build portfolio for start of some easy games, later on I am open to have partner, hire people.
But I would be happy even from being indie game dev ( who is using some freelance graphic artist or audio etc. no to do everything completely alone, but I want to learn blender, to have knowledge to change models etc by my self ), and earning 5000 euro per month.

Currently Im learning unity, so I am opened to all platforms.

Fab89

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Dec 30, 2017
Uk
I listened to this podcast on Big Sushi FM with Ryan Clarke, the creator of Crypt of the NecroDancer.

Episode 215 - Ryan Clark - BigSushi.fm

He talks about picking 2 popular genres and mixing them together in a single game.
So what does make an indie hit? Ryan lays out some pretty no nonsense ways of examining your game design idea before you begin to do the major work of bringing it to life. First things first, only a fraction of a fraction of all indie games that get made become real financial successes which enable the creators to build the next thing. And now with the advent of sites like SteamSpy it’s possible to look at games in a genre and figure out how lucrative your dungeon crawling / rhythm game / rogue-like game actually is. While there is no direct formula you can observe what the largest indie hits were in a genre and get a read on how much money that pulled it, and then cross it with other genres you plan to mash up and then guess how much overlap, if any, there is. So even if the best game in the genre you want to make your game for doesn’t make enough money to run your project, then you might need to rethink the scope of the project.

One of my favourite GDC videos is How to Survive in Gamedev for Eleven Years Without a Hit by Jake Birkett:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmwbYl6f11c
He talks about making loads of simple games that are similar. Also about how games that he made years ago are still making him money now and he worked out how much he gets paid an hour from each game. I instantly thought of this when reading TMF 's money tree. He's only getting by with his games but I think if you apply what you've learned from the 2 books then you could be bringing a lot more.

Baku85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 19, 2017
Spain
Thanks! definitely I will watch this podcast.

Baku85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 19, 2017
Spain
From this talk it is clear that for him desktop games are better solution than mobile.
Well like each business, let's be honest - which business is easy ?

I have a friend who has 2 business in norway but still has to do "freelance jobs".
Which business does not need to focus on some marketing ?

Ofc like in TMF is being said, great products does not need marketing at all, but well someone need to know that there is some product right ? :)
No need to convince people "play my game, it is better than X or Y" if game is really great, but need to at least show them this game. Which I think most of devs forgot.
Well interesting talk, I saw in YT next movie which I want to layter watch:
Everything I Said Was Wrong: Why Indie Is Different Now

Last edited:

Baku85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 19, 2017
Spain
Good talk about indie game dev:

Look at game dev ( or app dev ) as a business.
How to get more ppl see it, how to get more ppl like it.
And well great comparison to business, 90% of businesses fail in 5 years, from that 10% 90% will fail in next 5 years.
Doing game dev ( app dev ) is not just doing game/app and putting it on steam, app store etc.

I like his channel btw. good talks :)

Baku85

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 19, 2017
Spain
Eh finally which I regret a lot, Ive put game dev to hobby.
I was learning 4 months coding in unity+blender, started even my game, but I have time in my life that I should better focus on other stuff like freelance ( to earn extra money ) + invest those earning in ecommerce. Than I can do games, but well finally I thought that I want to do smth from games that I will like, I dont care about others :) So it must go to hobby part.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.