The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Future bussinessman. What should I choose?

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
Hello!
Let me give you some heads up before I begin.
Im 17 years old guy, 2nd year of highschool in Poland. I'm in maths / geography class. I'm interested in programming, computer science, economics, marketing and management. Not saying I'm an expert in those things, but that is something I would want to do in the future. I know 2 languages - English and French (and Polish of course). I'm doing some bussiness on the side, making a small (yet) passive income, but also getting educated in the subjects named above.

After thinking a lot about my future, talking to people wiser than me and doing research in the internet I decided to go to the university. A local one.

My goal is to make my own company so later it will make enough money for me to retire. My question is: Which studies should I choose to help me with managing my own firm?

I wanna be a programmer (that's for sure) but not for ever. I thought about working as a one to make some kind of starting budget, and when I have enough knowledge and money, quit and make my own thing. Even if I don't study Informatics, I'm still gonna do it on the side.

I know there's no university that guarantees you success, and I'm prepared to work hard for it. I know I might have not described everything as I should, but if you have some questions, I will answer them all.

Thank you for your time :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Siema,

If I have noticed anything from guys that have been doing particularly well is that they all had something they were really good at. Some didn't go to university to develop that one skill. If you look around people on this forum you will find that a lot of people are self taught and possess a huge amount of knowledge/experience by just doing it. Trial/error is probably one of the best learning experience in starting a business.

Remember that university is an academic place. Whilst some courses are vocational and more practical, the rest is pretty much academic. Its not the most time efficient investments. Hence I will tell you now that economics and management are completely useless in regards to what you want to achieve. Marketing can be useful but I question if you need 50% of what they teach. Only if you were to go into marketing.
Coding/programming is a solid foundation for you to grasp some basic skills. That can give you a nice starting point for any online Business you do. Then again, university is also a nice life experience. Networking with same minded people is important too.

Anyway. I think the best thing for you to do is to finish high school first and get that matura. Read TMF , read many other books and start to understand the mindset you need to have. Then you should know what path you should take.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
I've already read it. This book completely changed my view on everything. I keep recommending that to everyone :D
Thank you guys for help. The reason why I chose university is of course basic knowledge about stuff, but mainly the people. I'm pretty aware that it's really helpful to have contacts in almost every area. Meanwhile I'm waiting for other users to share their opinion on this :)

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
  • Become a programmer so that you can earn more from your first real job.
  • Keep expenses low.
  • Take excess income and invest it in whatever business you choose.
That's EXACTLY my plan, but what studies to choose so it helps me develop my company? Or maybe go study informatics, learn programming and study marketing / management on the side?

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
That's EXACTLY my plan, but what studies to choose so it helps me develop my company? Or maybe go study informatics, learn programming and study marketing / management on the side?

I feel like you don't really understand what a start up is. Who are you going to manage? If you grow large enough to need a manager, you will employ one. You seem to think that if you cover these subjects you will be prepared to take the dive into starting your own company. You will never be prepared with any degree. They don't prepare you for starting a company.
Study informatics and enjoy uni life. Start an online business at university. You will never have that much free time ever again.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
I feel like you don't really understand what a start up is. Who are you going to manage? If you grow large enough to need a manager, you will employ one. You seem to think that if you cover these subjects you will be prepared to take the dive into starting your own company. You will never be prepared with any degree. They don't prepare you for starting a company.
Study informatics and enjoy uni life. Start an online business at university. You will never have that much free time ever again.
Thank you for your help. I am clearly unexperienced and lack life knowledge, but hey, that's what I'm here for :D.
Btw, MJ DeMarco would disagree with the last sentence :p
If anybody else wants to share their point of view, im up to read it :)

D

Deleted20833

If you want to be an entrepreneur, college is pretty much a waste of time

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
If college connections have been proven to cause success then go for it
Irony overload. My parents are clear on that subject, if I don't go to university I'm out of the house. Can't afford to live on my own right now, so the best option would be imo go and study something I'm interested in and work hard at home too. Those 2 combined will bring success. Tell me if you disagree, I'm open to criticism.

D

Deleted20833

Irony overload. My parents are clear on that subject, if I don't go to university I'm out of the house. Can't afford to live on my own right now, so the best option would be imo go and study something I'm interested in and work hard at home too. Those 2 combined will bring success. Tell me if you disagree, I'm open to criticism.

If I'm going to be living free for attending college then yeah I'd go to

Take classes on entrepreneurship, business, and behavior psychology (you'll be using psychology a lot when you're marketing)

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
If I'm going to be living free for attending college then yeah I'd go to

Take classes on entrepreneurship, business, and behavior psychology (you'll be using psychology a lot when you're marketing)
Thank you very much :)

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
But the connections are really important imo.

Connections from college are the worst. Connections in college are mostly people who want to stay on the sidewalk and work for someone else. At least 90%+ of people who go to college are complete losers financially. Their plan in life is to work for someone else and they typically have zero business sense. Literally 50%+ of people go for useless degrees. You don't need them. If you ever partner with them in a business venture they'll be an anchor strapped around your neck.

What is smart is avoiding college and getting information in a more efficient and cheaper way. College is antiquated and they make you take useless classes so you can be a "well rounded individual." Well that's complete BS. Most classes in college just teach you how to regurgitate information. Just like what you'll be doing in your next job. Smart businessmen can think out of the box or use critical thinking.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
Connections from college are the worst. Connections in college are mostly people who want to stay on the sidewalk and work for someone else. At least 90%+ of people who go to college are complete losers financially. Their plan in life is to work for someone else and they typically have zero business sense. Literally 50%+ of people go for useless degrees. You don't need them. If you ever partner with them in a business venture they'll be an anchor strapped around your neck.

What is smart is avoiding college and getting information in a more efficient and cheaper way. College is antiquated and they make you take useless classes so you can be a "well rounded individual." Well that's complete BS. Most classes in college just teach you how to regurgitate information. Just like what you'll be doing in your next job. Smart businessmen can think out of the box or use critical thinking.
I see the point and I'd seriously consider that if not the thing I said in the previous post. Thank you for your opinion.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Ignore anyone's opinion on not going to college. Most of these opinions are American opinions.

Americans average something like $25,000 in debt getting bullshit degrees. Closer to $100,000 to $175,000 total cost.

You're likely averaging $0 debt, and $5,000 to graduate. Go to college. Ignore the "drop out now" talk. At worst, work on your business while in school. Then drop out once you're successful. Otherwise, play it both ways.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
Ignore anyone's opinion on not going to college. Most of these opinions are American opinions.

Americans average something like $25,000 in debt getting bullshit degrees. Closer to $100,000 to $175,000 total cost.

You're likely averaging $0 debt, and $5,000 to graduate. Go to college. Ignore the "drop out now" talk. At worst, work on your business while in school. Then drop out once you're successful. Otherwise, play it both ways.
I think this is most likely what I'm gonna do. Thank you :)

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016

This is absolutely true. In your special circumstances with housing situation, you should go to university; build on the informatics skills, build knowledge around other areas, enjoy life+have fun. When you have an idea then you will be ready to pursue it.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
This is absolutely true. In your special circumstances with housing situation, you should go to university; build on the informatics skills, build knowledge around other areas, enjoy life+have fun. When you have an idea then you will be ready to pursue it.
Thank you. I decided not to study informatics, just learn programming in my free time. I was hyped about marketing and management but I heard a lot of negative opinions. For example that its one big gathering of people that don't know what they do in life. I have in mind that no studies will make you an entrepreneur, but some just teach you nothing useful. What do you think about it guys? Maybe recommend some other subject that combined with hard work will give me expected results?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thank you. I decided not to study informatics, just learn programming in my free time. I was hyped about marketing and management but I heard a lot of negative opinions. For example that its one big gathering of people that don't know what they do in life. I have in mind that no studies will make you an entrepreneur, but some just teach you nothing useful. What do you think about it guys? Maybe recommend some other subject that combined with hard work will give me expected results?

If I were going to college again I would study philosophy instead of psychology.

Psychology is interesting, and I enjoy it, and it can be useful depending on what you want to do.

But psychology in schools isn't taught in a way that helps you sell more product.

Philosophy doesn't teach you to sell either, but it does offer more opportunity to expand your mind.

Since the Fastlane starts with mindset, this could be useful for you.

Either way, it is useful to build a habit of problem solving from unique angles no matter what you choose to do in life.

Fastlaners think differently than the masses, and philosophy could be a tool to help you build the mindset you need.

You're right that no studies will make you an entrepreneur.

Only action makes you an entrepreneur.

But some studies do help you build the skills to become more successful when you start to take action.

It's all just a matter of how you look at it.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
If I were going to college again I would study philosophy instead of psychology.

Psychology is interesting, and I enjoy it, and it can be useful depending on what you want to do.

But psychology in schools isn't taught in a way that helps you sell more product.

Philosophy doesn't teach you to sell either, but it does offer more opportunity to expand your mind.

Since the Fastlane starts with mindset, this could be useful for you.

Either way, it is useful to build a habit of problem solving from unique angles no matter what you choose to do in life.

Fastlaners think differently than the masses, and philosophy could be a tool to help you build the mindset you need.

You're right that no studies will make you an entrepreneur.

Only action makes you an entrepreneur.

But some studies do help you build the skills to become more successful when you start to take action.

It's all just a matter of how you look at it.
Thank you. How about marketing? Is it a good subject? Or maybe management?

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thank you. How about marketing? Is it a good subject? Or maybe management?

With the right mindset it won't matter if you have any experience in marketing or management or business.

Marketing, management, sales, coding, etc. all of these are skills that change over time.

What you learn today in class may not apply in 10 years from now when your business is moving full steam ahead.

In my opinion it's better to build a foundation based on a flexible, applicable skill that's never out of date.

The ability to think outside of the box is that skill.

You might learn to be a great manager or marketer today...

But what happens when a better way to manage or market comes about?

Then you have to learn all over again or you are obsolete.

How is that different from being an employee?

And what about the guy who came up with the new management or marketing style?

He's rich.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
With the right mindset it won't matter if you have any experience in marketing or management or business.

Marketing, management, sales, coding, etc. all of these are skills that change over time.

What you learn today in class may not apply in 10 years from now when your business is moving full steam ahead.

In my opinion it's better to build a foundation based on a flexible, applicable skill that's never out of date.

The ability to think outside of the box is that skill.

You might learn to be a great manager or marketer today...

But what happens when a better way to manage or market comes about?

Then you have to learn all over again or you are obsolete.

How is that different from being an employee?

And what about the guy who came up with the new management or marketing style?

He's rich.
So economics seems like a good idea according to this. Or is it like someone stated above that you only need 50% of the knowledge they teach you?

PlatinumPresto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Feb 1, 2016
1st... write down your goals... even if its to get up and eat cereal... id bet you would be one of the few who would have written it down and probably accomplish it if you actually believe in goal setting

next, create a dream board... everything you want in life... this will create the urgency of need when your not doing anything. if your on FB messing around you will look at your board and think "is what im doing now accomplishing anything towards my goals?"

if your into wealth and material things like nice cars.... then check out the wealthiest people in the world and see what they have accomplished

find a mentor. a mentor who has what is on your dream board. bug him/her until you can buy him a coffee/dinner and learn more

Real Estate and Finance make up a good size of assets of the wealthy... study both in college will net in good knowledge and a good network.

finally, Seek where the most people need your skills and build an opportunity to add value in that oppertunity

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
Don't forget that most people on this forum are from the US. And you aren't. What might be a good idea there, doesn't mean that it is a good idea in Poland. There are huge differences in regards to all sorts of markets, be it real estate, finance or direct response marketing. The culture is different and the mentality is different. Studying doesn't cost a fortune. And so on...

With an online business you can circumvent this of course.

What I would recommend, is to ignore all the soft fields of study like management, psychology, philosophy or economics, etc. (Unless you want to write a bestseller.) You can learn this stuff by yourself. Instead focus on STEM and choose something you have an affinity for and/or are good at.

Most people overlook that there are big opportunities on the edges of a particular field that only professionals can notice or grasp. And until you find such an opportunity you can work in a high-paying job and build connections. A good book that fleshes this out is "So Good They Can't Ignore You" by Cal Newport.

Then again, you can work dead-end jobs for years and then see an opportunity that isn't as complex but insanely profitable nevertheless. But what if you don't find such an opportunity? In the case above you had at least a good paying job.

This is the crux of the matter. There is no right or wrong. There are no bad choices as long as the reasons for choosing them are sound to you. Don't decide lightly.

It's like Steve Jobs explained in his Stanford speech that you can make choices that don't seem to have a connection if you look at them from the present day. But then, in the future, you can see a clear red thread that connects them all.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
Don't forget that most people on this forum are from the US. And you aren't. What might be a good idea there, doesn't mean that it is a good idea in Poland. There are huge differences in regards to all sorts of markets, be it real estate, finance or direct response marketing. The culture is different and the mentality is different. Studying doesn't cost a fortune. And so on...

With an online business you can circumvent this of course.

What I would recommend, is to ignore all the soft fields of study like management, psychology, philosophy or economics, etc. (Unless you want to write a bestseller.) You can learn this stuff by yourself. Instead focus on STEM and choose something you have an affinity for and/or are good at.

Most people overlook that there are big opportunities on the edges of a particular field that only professionals can notice or grasp. And until you find such an opportunity you can work in a high-paying job and build connections. A good book that fleshes this out is "So Good They Can't Ignore You" by Cal Newport.

Then again, you can work dead-end jobs for years and then see an opportunity that isn't as complex but insanely profitable nevertheless. But what if you don't find such an opportunity? In the case above you had at least a good paying job.

This is the crux of the matter. There is no right or wrong. There are no bad choices as long as the reasons for choosing them are sound to you. Don't decide lightly.

It's like Steve Jobs explained in his Stanford speech that you can make choices that don't seem to have a connection if you look at them from the present day. But then, in the future, you can see a clear red thread that connects them all.

Thank you sir. This is a really helpful answer. I think I've made my decision. I'm probably gonna study E-Marketing, I feel that I'm really good at making brands popular or making people buy my products. In the next 2 months I'm going to read 2 huge books about micro and macro economics so I can have basic knowledge that will later be useful when starting my own business. I also wanted to get a little bit into psychology to improve my marketing abilities.

The book you recommended - definitely gonna read in the near future.

What do you think about getting a job online while staying at home (as a programmer)? Since I live in Poland and the salaries here are pretty poor, I'd work online for lets say an English company to receive 3000 pounds (around 5 PLN) instead of 3000 PLN? How would that work?
And of course it would be just to make some money while waiting for the opportunity to work on my own thing. Maybe as a marketing manager if I like it more, who knows :)

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Thank you sir. This is a really helpful answer. I think I've made my decision. I'm probably gonna study E-Marketing, I feel that I'm really good at making brands popular or making people buy my products. In the next 2 months I'm going to read 2 huge books about micro and macro economics so I can have basic knowledge that will later be useful when starting my own business. I also wanted to get a little bit into psychology to improve my marketing abilities.

The book you recommended - definitely gonna read in the near future.

What do you think about getting a job online while staying at home (as a programmer)? Since I live in Poland and the salaries here are pretty poor, I'd work online for lets say an English company to receive 3000 pounds (around 5 PLN) instead of 3000 PLN? How would that work?
And of course it would be just to make some money while waiting for the opportunity to work on my own thing. Maybe as a marketing manager if I like it more, who knows :)

You cant make such a decision in 5 hours. You have changed your mind multiple times in the last 12 hours. You still think that by learning these individual subjects that you will build a foundation of knowledge that will set you into the company-life. It doesn't work like that.
You are better off focusing 80% of your time on one skill such as programming and spend the other 20% on basic knowledge of sales-skills/ marketing/ accounting etc.

You will never get a 3000£ job here in the UK as someone unqualified. You wouldn't even get that if you moved here with a degree. And like someone has said before you live in Poland.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
You cant make such a decision in 5 hours. You have changed your mind multiple times in the last 12 hours. You still think that by learning these individual subjects that you will build a foundation of knowledge that will set you into the company-life. It doesn't work like that.
You are better off focusing 80% of your time on one skill such as programming and spend the other 20% on basic knowledge of sales-skills/ marketing/ accounting etc.

You will never get a 3000£ job here in the UK as someone unqualified. You wouldn't even get that if you moved here with a degree. And like someone has said before you live in Poland.
That's what I wanted to do, and you are wrong if you say that you cant get a good salary without finished studies (if that's what you mean). If you meant unqualified skill-wise, then of course, but none said that I'm just gonna say "Yo guys I can type "Hello World!" in the console, where is my pay check?".

I just wanted to learn programming most of the time, but also do things that will prepare me to be an entrepreneur.

Anyways, thanks guys, I think I've got all the answers needed, unless anybody wants to add their 2 cents, then I'd gladly read it :)
Cheers!

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016

As of right now you are unqualified. You have no formal training. You are "unqualified skill-wise". No British company will hire you for 3000£/month. That is just under the starting salary of an investment banker in London or a graduate lawyer who got a training post in a top firm. You can move here for 7£/hour or 8.50euros/hour in Germany for minimum wage.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.