First off, I'm extremely thankful for MJ and all of the threads on this forum. Chickenhawk's and Held For Ransom's progress threads were like a lightning bolt of inspiration.
A little backstory
My background is in comedy--standup and improv. I got started in college, then moved to Chicago to train/perform at all the big venues there. Then off to LA.
I've worked off-and-on as a writer for the past six years. Either as a hired gun screenwriter for various producers or ghost-writing on random projects. The rest of the time has been working day jobs or quasi-day jobs (acting in commercials, etc) to pay the bills.
After working on other people's projects for so long, I decided to start my own Fastlane project: A movie that I would write and star in. The result is a comedy/mystery that has gotten a lot of great feedback from the people who have read it.
But, as I quickly learned, mounting a movie is no mean feat. A number of directors really liked the script and are interested in making it, but they're recommending I try to attach a name actor as the lead. (Basically, they want to take my script and give it to a movie star. Dude, if I was going to do that, I'd just try and sell the damn thing.)
So right now I'm in the process of raising funds for a microbudget production and attaching a director who's cool with making something from the ground up. But it will be months before we shoot a single scene.
Another Avenue
After reading the Self Publishing threads on the Fastlane Forum, a lightbulb went off.
"Wait, what if I turned this story into a novel?" The thought of being able to tell a story without having to involve investors, directors, or any other strings attached was incredible. A screenplay is just a blueprint---nothing on its own. But it would be a great outline for a novel that I could send to an audience without any middlemen.
Plus, it would be a great way to test the market. If people liked this story as a novel, they'd like it as a movie, right?
And something incredible happened. I was excited to write again. I dug up all of my old short stories and half-novels that had fallen by the wayside. "What's the point?" I used to think, "Nobody will ever read this. I don't have a big-time literary agent. Better just hustle for some writing clients and take the paycheck."
I really LIKED these stories. And they were all in genres that had lots of readers---sci-fi, mystery, fantasy. Why stop with one novel? I could write a hundred of these things---all you need is your imagination and the willingness to put your words on paper.
Now
That was six days ago. I'm 12,000 words into the detective novel. I expect to finish my first draft (40,000 words) by June 19th. Then another couple months of editing and re-writing, with a publication date in September.
My plan is to write 3 books a year. I don't have any pie-in-the-sky projections. I'm in this for the long haul.
And to all of you that post to this board: Thank you. Without you, I'd still be firmly in the Slowlane (really, the Sidewalk) of a struggling artist. I'm not in the Fastlane yet, but there's plenty of gas in my tank and my engine is just warming up.
A little backstory
My background is in comedy--standup and improv. I got started in college, then moved to Chicago to train/perform at all the big venues there. Then off to LA.
I've worked off-and-on as a writer for the past six years. Either as a hired gun screenwriter for various producers or ghost-writing on random projects. The rest of the time has been working day jobs or quasi-day jobs (acting in commercials, etc) to pay the bills.
After working on other people's projects for so long, I decided to start my own Fastlane project: A movie that I would write and star in. The result is a comedy/mystery that has gotten a lot of great feedback from the people who have read it.
But, as I quickly learned, mounting a movie is no mean feat. A number of directors really liked the script and are interested in making it, but they're recommending I try to attach a name actor as the lead. (Basically, they want to take my script and give it to a movie star. Dude, if I was going to do that, I'd just try and sell the damn thing.)
So right now I'm in the process of raising funds for a microbudget production and attaching a director who's cool with making something from the ground up. But it will be months before we shoot a single scene.
Another Avenue
After reading the Self Publishing threads on the Fastlane Forum, a lightbulb went off.
"Wait, what if I turned this story into a novel?" The thought of being able to tell a story without having to involve investors, directors, or any other strings attached was incredible. A screenplay is just a blueprint---nothing on its own. But it would be a great outline for a novel that I could send to an audience without any middlemen.
Plus, it would be a great way to test the market. If people liked this story as a novel, they'd like it as a movie, right?
And something incredible happened. I was excited to write again. I dug up all of my old short stories and half-novels that had fallen by the wayside. "What's the point?" I used to think, "Nobody will ever read this. I don't have a big-time literary agent. Better just hustle for some writing clients and take the paycheck."
I really LIKED these stories. And they were all in genres that had lots of readers---sci-fi, mystery, fantasy. Why stop with one novel? I could write a hundred of these things---all you need is your imagination and the willingness to put your words on paper.
Now
That was six days ago. I'm 12,000 words into the detective novel. I expect to finish my first draft (40,000 words) by June 19th. Then another couple months of editing and re-writing, with a publication date in September.
My plan is to write 3 books a year. I don't have any pie-in-the-sky projections. I'm in this for the long haul.
And to all of you that post to this board: Thank you. Without you, I'd still be firmly in the Slowlane (really, the Sidewalk) of a struggling artist. I'm not in the Fastlane yet, but there's plenty of gas in my tank and my engine is just warming up.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
