The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Dead Broke To Financial Freedom in 6 Months Flat

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 2, 2015
So, back in December I was at rock bottom.. I was at the lowest area in my life..
I had negative ($44) in my bank account. I couldn't pay my bills, and I couldn't buy any presents for family or friends for Christmas. AND on top of this.. My fiance was on the verge of kicking me out.. it was BAD.

But this day in December was the most pivotal to my life. I took control and killed the weak version of myself.

6 Months later I'm working from home, running several companies.. and just about to launch a whole new brand to help people become the best version of themselves.

Change does not have to take very long.. it can be as quick or as slow as you make it.

I hope to help people find their path and create the life of their dreams.

Here are some videos for context.
Last month:

December:

Please be kind, as I am still uncomfortable sharing.. but hope the videos can help at least one person..

I'll keep you posted on my progress...
How did you first start to get out of the negatives ? I currently dropped to -$68 in my bank account trying to start an affiliate marketing business, I'm spending lots of time on it but it's not really making money... Any ideas to get out of the negatives?

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Amazing!

First of all, congrats.
Second of all, way to go and a great idea!

Thank you! much appreciated!

How did you first start to get out of the negatives ? I currently dropped to -$68 in my bank account trying to start an affiliate marketing business, I'm spending lots of time on it but it's not really making money... Any ideas to get out of the negatives?

I'm not quite sure what you are working on at the moment... but if you are where I was when I hit bottom... you'll know what to do... things become very clear and you have to first put 100% of the responsibility into your own hands.. Once you do that.. you'll be out of the negatives in no time.

Mrbig112

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 31, 2014
Ingham, Queensland
Hi Akrouwerm,

Congratz on your success and major life change, I watch your video and couldn't help feel the same way I am currently, I'm broke in debt as well, for many years I have been wanting to break into this business as you call it wantrepreneur.

Run into a few pyramids, looked at blackhat techniques learning how I can make some cash online, I was wondering if you could give a few pointers on how you succeeded in the right direction please :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

phenom4hire

Onwards and Upwards
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 26, 2011
Jesup, GA
Very cool @akbrouwer! Glad you met and surpassed your goals. You didn't re-invent the wheel but improved it and better presented it. I hope this is the the beginning of great things for you. I know it took guts, to make your self do something about it and now that you've battled through that mindset and situation you are better prepared for any future endeavors you pursue.

Question: After you posted that first video, what did you do next? How long before you discovered your idea had potential?

A little more detail of your journey/challenges could help someone in a similar mindset/situation. Omit anything that you feel may harm your business/future opportunities.

Again way to go and congrats!

early riser

Grind Harder
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2014
Both coasts. The west now.
I read this a while ago and watched the videos. Happy for you.
I went to your youtube channel and the change in how you view yourself is phenomenal.

Keep going

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Ha! I came across that kickstarter and thought how well put together it was and how quickly it was gaining momentum. It felt like it could have been created by a Fastlane member but I didn't put two and two together.

Congratulations Allen, you smashed it! :)

So, so pleased for you. After watching your video's it just emphasises its all about execution. Sometimes you have to be taken to your lowest point for that lesson to be driven home. Take action. Make it, don't fake it.

Continued success Bro. :tiphat:

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Hi Akrouwerm,

Congratz on your success and major life change, I watch your video and couldn't help feel the same way I am currently, I'm broke in debt as well, for many years I have been wanting to break into this business as you call it wantrepreneur.

Run into a few pyramids, looked at blackhat techniques learning how I can make some cash online, I was wondering if you could give a few pointers on how you succeeded in the right direction please :)

The pointers in the right direction are pretty clear... Know what you want, take responsibility for everything in your life... and do everything in your power to make it happen. I'd recommend starting with something legit... I have never done black hat / pyramids... but would say those are for short "flash in the pan" outcomes. What do you want to do with your life that doesn't have to do with getting "quick cash"

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Very cool @akbrouwer! Glad you met and surpassed your goals. You didn't re-invent the wheel but improved it and better presented it. I hope this is the the beginning of great things for you. I know it took guts, to make your self do something about it and now that you've battled through that mindset and situation you are better prepared for any future endeavors you pursue.

Question: After you posted that first video, what did you do next? How long before you discovered your idea had potential?

A little more detail of your journey/challenges could help someone in a similar mindset/situation. Omit anything that you feel may harm your business/future opportunities.

Again way to go and congrats!

Thanks, this is a quite loaded question, and I will answer it with a more detailed post sometime this week. With a timeline of everything that has happened. But the short answer to what I did next after the video- was get a client to do Online Marketing Consulting for. Allowed me to leave my 9-5 and focus 100% on what I wanted out of life.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Ha! I came across that kickstarter and thought how well put together it was and how quickly it was gaining momentum. It felt like it could have been created by a Fastlane member but I didn't put two and two together.

Congratulations Allen, you smashed it! :)

So, so pleased for you. After watching your video's it just emphasises its all about execution. Sometimes you have to be taken to your lowest point for that lesson to be driven home. Take action. Make it, don't fake it.

Continued success Bro. :tiphat:

Much appreciated... Thank you.

I will buy one (or several most likely for Christmas gifts) when you launch on Amazon.

@MJ DeMarco gold thread

Awesome! Thank you!

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Writing on paper. Whodathought ?

I seriously love this and I think you'll do well. I understand, but maybe many don't, that the brain reacts differently when you type something vs when you write something. Different in a positive way. I'm pretty sure I've read where many of the top dogs here write things down. Not coincidence.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm following.

yup, reason I started sending text messages to myself turning my cell phone into a digital diary.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Many of you have asked what was the most helpful thing when launching the new business and with Kickstarter.

It was our list, we had a solid list of people who were READY to purchase from us when we went live.

How did we build a list of 3700 subscribers in 2 months?
And now we are over 16,000 subscribers in 7 months... wow... pretty crazy that this actually happened to me. I am so humbled and grateful for this list of advocates.

But the way Cathryn and I did this was through Brian Harris' course 10K Subs.

Why is this course so great... because it's actionable and you can do everything step by step to get the exact results we have gotten.

I do get a kick back from promoting this so don't bite my head off please. (I haven't even promoted my own stuff yet).

I just really know this works... I'm living proof.

You can check out his course here: http://bit.ly/1H9daDO

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Allen how is the final stages going for you?

Would you mind sharing how you got the project started and what kind of costs were involved. It is a great idea, I will be buying one once they are on Amazon also.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Allen how is the final stages going for you?

Would you mind sharing how you got the project started and what kind of costs were involved. It is a great idea, I will be buying one once they are on Amazon also.

Well, the final stages have been pretty freaking crazy. Between shipping issues (our original freight forwarder had us on the wrong container ship) to customs holding the container in LA for a week, to minor legal issues, we have been going crazy. Not to mention we'd like to get this in our backers hands before Christmas, it's has been and is going to be tough.

Sorry for being so quiet on here recently, it's been a full time gig trying to get this shipment here.

On top of that, We are also working on a brand new website, which we did product shots for, rented studio space, etc. It's almost finished and we can not wait for it to go live.

As for how we got started, well... that's a pretty long answer, but I'll break it up into bullets to make it easier to digest.
- We created our own journal/day planner to help us run our Amazon business and our side businesses
- We realized we had the same structure in our own day planners
- We decided to create our own
- We mocked up some pdfs
- We got feedback from friends and mastermind members
- We tweaked with their input
- More testing and feedback
- Started creating Kickstarter Campaign and launch sequence
- Created Website with blog articles, started to syndicate
- Recorded videos
- Launched Giveaway
- Launched PLF
- Giveaway ended
- Launched Kickstarter
- Killed It

Total All in costs from concept to launching kickstarter was probably about $4,000-$6,000 for video, marketing software, samples, products for giveaway, etc.
Since Kickstarter has ended we are north of $200k in hard costs... but it's the name of the game... gotta spend money to make money, keep feeding the beast.

Let me know if you'd like some more detail, I can probably make a short video for you.

Cathryn is in the process of making a course showing people how to launch successfully on Kickstarter as well.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
Oh man, wish I woulda seen this sooner; I had just recently picked up a similar product/journal. But, when I finish through the pages of that one, I know what I'll be getting next! Kudos on the success, friend!

Freedom61

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 21, 2015
Tampa, FL
This is an awesome story! I'm at a pretty low point at the moment (reinvesting basically all my cash into my internet business as I slowly transition out of my slow lane biz) and cash flow is extremely tight & slow lately but I still have bills/expenses to pay, running low on cash because I have a fair amount tied up in assets (equipment) & I'm close to the point of not being able to purchase presents for Christmas as well. I watched your "Rock Bottom" video and when I heard the date (December 17, 2014) and it's officially Dec. 17, my stomach just sank....:(

Then I took a look at the list of projects I NEED to complete for my business in order to succeed and decided I'm going to do the same thing you did - a confession video and hold myself accountable to ensure nearly every project on my list (with the exception of the apps I plan to build) is complete by June 17th, 2016, just happens to be 3 days after my bday. :)

Similar to your kickstarter product, (although I've been slacking lately with it) I'm a huge believer in taking daily action steps towards large goals - learned it from Andy Frisella's (CEO of 1st Phorm) MFCEO Podcast where they discuss writing down 5 critical tasks that must be completed daily in order to win for the day. It's called the Power List, and his philosophy is that when you're able to win every day for 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, etc. what do you think your life will look like? Everything you could have ever dreamed of. It's 3:30am in MN and I'm ready to kick some a$$.

Thanks for the needed motivation!

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
I watched your "Rock Bottom" video and when I heard the date (December 17, 2014) and it's officially Dec. 17, my stomach just sank....:(

Thanks for the needed motivation!

Glad I could give you some clarity and motivate you to push forward.

WHOOHOO! Today marks the one year anniversary of the "rock bottom" moment. Going to put together a recap video showing the transformation.

Can't wait to share it with you all. :)

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Alright...
Can't believe it's been one year. All I can say is.. Holy hell it's been amazing.

I wanted to thank you all for the support. I really appreciate the love you've given and hopefully I was able to help you make the change in your life as well.

Enough Typing.. more watching... (sorry it was longer than 3 minutes- a lot took place this year ;) )

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
Ok. Now here is some scary stuff (scary good!) that has happened in the last WEEK!

I wrote a goal down, WAY before my December 2014 video.

It came to life, guess what the goal was?

check it:
$100,000 Per Month by 28 Years Old With One Simple Habit Every Day

Keep at it everyone... don't settle... keep pushing... you got this!
Been following this thread for a while. Congrats on your success! Keep going.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA

Elliott_Diaz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Mar 12, 2016
Making dreams come true through work! Inspiring my man, I'm absolutely no where near where you are at. Faaaar from it. But if i could offer any value it is to not take what you have right now as being that you made it and seek accomplishing so much more since you've developed the foundation to do absolutely incredible things!!!

Best of luck and can't wait to hear more from you!

-Elliott

Kholton Dwyer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 28, 2016
This is incredible. And a fantastic kick in the rear-end. Good luck in the future and God bless, man.

Alex Bergvall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 5, 2013
And then this happened...

We launched at 11:50am EST on August 19th...

I keep laughing... about every couple minutes or so I get an email for another order.. It's amazing what happens when you flip your mindset.

Thank you for the support everyone. No need to back.. I just wanted to share my progress.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bestself/self-journal

No way, i registered at Kickstarter just to back this one - i love it... received it in late december, however i´m still with my printed pdf.
But i heard from it on some blog about your whole launch story.

Very cool. And very cool to find the thread on here now. :)
Congratulations

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.