The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Affiliate Marketing To Importing And Ecommerce

Marketing, social media, advertising

kd38

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 15, 2014
You will have to test another version of the video or ad to see if it is the ad or the product. Views are easy to get. Just pay for them, clicks to the offer should be pretty simple as well, it's the purchases that should be hard. What kind of ads are you running? Just Video ads with no link?

Testing and finding out what works is essentially it. Your threads have been complete gold, I have screenshots of a number of things you have said [emoji23]. Perhaps I should stop screenshotting and start actioning and testing.

The add would be of the video, (no call to action just demoing the product.)

The description is basically. “Get your hands on our popular *insert product here* with 30% off. Use the coupon code:.
Quickly, before we run out of stock.

Click this link to buy it now: *insert link shortened with google*

We had 51k views
250 website clicks
1 add to basket [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
In your example of a $15 purchase, that's going to be hard in either case. It's possible, but hard. Better be something that LOTS of people want and you can go broad and cheap otherwise it will be more headache than it's worth. Is this something that you can sell for maybe $10ea but make ppl buy like 5 of them at once?

I would strongly recommend you look at high quality higher priced products. Once those products work, life is gooood.

Thanks so much for the response. I really appreciate it!

I started realizing the same thing the other day. I went back and reworked the numbers. I don't see how the math works at my current price point. Between COG and adspend, there is no way that I even break-even on this.

I'll just tell you what the product is because I'm not married to it. Aside from a test unit, I don't even own any inventory yet.

It's a dog paw washer. I've been building up a brand in the dog niche for the last year. I'm starting to get a pretty big email list with content, but I want to test selling/scaling something direct to cold traffic.

Here's an example on amazon (not mine): https://www.amazon.com/Dexas-MudBus...ocphy=9007257&hvtargid=pla-315530811356&psc=1

The product is like this little cup that you stick your dog's paws in to wash. It cost about $3.5 to get to my door. Then selling for around $14.97 with free shipping. Obviously free shipping eats away at the margin. But even after ad costs, it doesn't seem like there is too much wiggle room to work with. Plus the market is probably over saturated with these already. Unless I'm looking at this completely wrong?

I did see some viral appeal. But this product is also all over the place. Amazon, Chewy, etc... I guess it's time to move on and find something better.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
@johnp & @kd38 sounds like those products are more of the viral dropshipping style. If you want to hit that stuff I know there are some threads here on forum about dropshipping and doing more viral stuff. I am far more into high priced high quality ecom at this point. I know there are a few guys here that were and maybe still are (?) doing big numbers in dropshipping that style of product and ads.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
If you want to hit that stuff I know there are some threads here on forum about dropshipping and doing more viral stuff. I am far more into high priced high quality ecom at this point.

Thanks, I was wondering about this. I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by high quality when I was reading through some of your older posts. I think that I'm more interested going the high priced/high quality ecom route. Back to the drawing board!

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by high quality when I was reading through some of your older posts
lol yea...

I'm afraid to go back and read what I wrote back when I started down this path. Times were different, ecommerce on FB was still fresh. I did the viral crap (never did dropshipping though) and realized the pitfalls of it. My posts are just my views and experiences, they can and do evolve as I do :)

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
which price point/ranges you consider low price tier, middle tier, high priced tier?

I don't really look at it as a tiered thing. I like products/offers with at at least $40 of profit margin to work with when running paid traffic on Facebook.

With $40 profit margin, I can run ads and get a sale for $20 in ad cost, netting me a 100% ROA (return on ad spend). It leaves me a good amount of wiggle room when CPM's go up and down and a good enough profit level to keep me interested in running and making it work.

Less than that can work for sure. I have run many things with much lower profit margins and made good money with it. I just found that I don't like stress. Even if it means more money. I like low stress, low key, longer term things these days. They are harder to get working, but a better fit for me and my life.

Paper Chaser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 27, 2017
Connecticut
It really depends on the product you are trying to push.

If you are trying to push your own product that you made and you know is good, then you'll want to work on it much longer and harder.

If you are just trying to sell whatever is hot, then it doesn't take much till you dump it and move onto the next product. Hot products sell like beer at sporting events. People just line up. The downside is that these products are usually crap and don't last and you are having to look for the next.

In your example of a $15 purchase, that's going to be hard in either case. It's possible, but hard. Better be something that LOTS of people want and you can go broad and cheap otherwise it will be more headache than it's worth. Is this something that you can sell for maybe $10ea but make ppl buy like 5 of them at once?

I would strongly recommend you look at high quality higher priced products. Once those products work, life is gooood.
Man that last sentence is spot on. I'm currently selling something that isn't very high quality, but still not intentionally deceiving the customers with edited photos, misleading production description, etc. That being said, I just hit 40k this month with this product all thanks to this thread. Next product will be higher quality and less frustrating for sure!

Anthony Gordon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 4, 2016
Another update:

The Ups and Downs

Sales have been going good. In fact got this fun message on Shopify earlier:
http://screencast.com/t/p4NhBu9e
So that was cool.

UNTIL.....

Got this other kind of fun message:

http://screencast.com/t/DrQluUqPy

So spent the day calling shopify and sending in my ID etc. Nothing left to do but wait till tomorrow and call them again :headbanger:

So I shut down the ad, didn't want another $5k a day worth of orders rolling in while I'm under some sort of review till I get this straightened out. Besides, I'm almost all out of the inventory I just ordered anyhow. Once I get things back on I can sell the rest of them no problem....

...or so I thought.

Turns out FB decided to flag my account and remove my payment method when I paused the ad. Guess they got mad and retaliated thinking I was taking my business elsewhere. So I filled out their various forums, and hit them up on every help channel they provide, and got word back saying, "sorry this happened, they don't know why it did, just add a new payment method"

So I did and at least have the account ready to roll again.

Just waiting for shopify to put my account in good standing again so I can get back to work.

Luckily during this break I began running test ads for 2 new products that I've been eyeing and the results looks promising :hurray:

***edited since the images showed up so only ant's could see them, now us mere mortals can see them with the links provided. Can't seem to win with these images working properly lately...

hi loving the updates just wondering where are you actually looking for products and i am guessing you are ordering these products and then shipping them yourself ?

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
I just hit 40k this month with this product all thanks to this thread
Be wise! Save that money!! I have seen too many guys go broke lately when they were hitting number 10x that. Be smart and you will live a long and happy life knowing that you can provide for yourself :) Congrats

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
wondering where are you actually looking for products and i am guessing you are ordering these products and then shipping them yourself ?
Yes I order from the manufactures. I get them to produce the products that i want the way I want it. They come to me in bulk and I ship them out. Well, I don't physically pack and ship anything myself, someone else in house does that for me now.

kd38

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 15, 2014
Would you say that the earlier posts you made in this thread are not worth touching anymore?

I recently started selling via Amazon, and have yet to start advertising, but eventually will want to branch out into my own shopify store and essentially run ad campaigns on fb etc.

Would you say your current model is much different to how you used to do things? Mainly talking about the process as opposed to the actual products.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
@Jeannen

Bumping this thread because it’s a really good ecom thread that doesn’t get mentioned enough

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.