The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Free Mobile Home - What Will it Cost You?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
There are many people on the forum beginning to ask about mobile home investing. I have been doing this for a short time but maybe I can help some investors make smart decisions.

I frequently come across free mobile homes. The only catch is that they must be moved. So, how much would a free mobile home cost you? Regional costs will vary but around here you can expect to spend $1200-$2000 to tear down, move, and set up a single wide MH. No biggie you say, but that's not all. If you have to buy skirting you will spend around $700. Then having the utilities hooked up will cost about $300-$500. If you have to ad a porch you will spend $100-$200.

So, you can see if you have to move it and re set it up you will be into a free mobile home for $2500-$3000.

So, if you are given the choice of a mobile home set-up and ready to own for $2500 in a location that doesn't have to be moved or a free mobile home, you can see the real cost.

I know many on here are well past dealing with low end homes but there are many on here that are beginners and this may help them make better decisions. Good luck to all.:cheers:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
you didn't add the time involved, and most "free mobile homes" tend to be in a very terrible shape thus the reason for it being free. the owner usually wants to junk it, but is hoping to find someone to junk it for free. a mobile home forsale is better, you can negotiate, with the free mobile home, you have no grounds for negotation.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Great post Runum-- A good avenue for beginners, and a quick analysis to show the cost advantages of finding a mobile on existing property.

I'd go a step further and mention that some mobile home parks have rules about the age of the trailer in the park-- so you may still find a mobile already in a park, w/an owner who wants to get out instead of moving the trailer. So be careful that the park will allow the mobile to stay there for a while-- at least 5 years, or more!

-Russ H.

PS I see you got a new set of wheels on your avatar. Didja trade in the Aston? ;)

lightweight99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 13, 2009
Kentucky
I got the book deals on wheels this Monday. I look forward to getting involved very soon.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
also consider your state regs. Pa is more expensive due to building codes needing to be adhered to. I think I heard it was 5-6k, but cannot remember for sure.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
great idea, Runum. If there's a "chance" for someone to start the biz, this is a great way to start dd to at least get the feet wet and learn .

Kurt has an excellent point.... does rebuilding a mobile home require building permits as if it were an actual home? or is it treated like a vehicle?

I wonder if mobile homes are going to attract more dwellers due to economic conditions.... if people are downsizing or moving down to mobile homes from townhomes/condos then I would think that newer mobile homes would be in demand, BWTFDIK

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
Good post. Another problem, at least in my area, is where to put a mobile home. Most parks won't allow an older model. Most vacant land is restricted to no single wide mobile homes. There is huge money to be made in mobile home parks, but outside of that its tough to place them around here.

A free mobile home might be more costly than free cat. I recently found out that free cat costs at least $300 in vet bills.:cuss:

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Kurt has an excellent point.... does rebuilding a mobile home require building permits as if it were an actual home? or is it treated like a vehicle?

that is only part of it. it is not just the repair, but the moving. In PA, last I heard and this was a few years ago, you had to put in footers and hurricane tie downs when you reset them up. So instead of just putting them on cinder blocks, or just letting the axle just rust off into the ground as so many have done for years, you actually need to put work/money into the site prep for the new location.

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
941%
Jun 7, 2008
There are many ways to get creative with mobile homes. You can find free siding at MH dealers and MH movers who have extra laying around.

MH dealers often get trade ins on new mobile homes and place the trade on the "0" books, because the home is not worth selling for the dealership. You can get these homes for free if you offer to have the home moved from the lot (saves the dealer a couple grand). If the home needs siding, you can ask them to throw it in from one of the other used homes on their lot, or cover part of the moving fee. There are countless ways to get creative and save cash.

As for the questions on building permits...we just redid a bathroom, living room, and kitchen with no permits in an Iowa Mobile Home park. Iowa treats mobile homes like vehicles (title registered at the DMV) as do most all other states.

You do not need a permit to work on your vehicle...and you do not need a permit to work on your mobile home.

Still, check your local and state laws, or you can easily ask the park you will be working in what the building restrictions/laws/permits are. Chances are they will tell you, "There are none."

-G. Alexander

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
If you are serious about getting into the mobile home business you need to purchase equipment and learn how to do a lot of that yourself, or partner with someone who can.

If you had your own truck how much would they cost to move? By reducing your costs you can earn a larger profit, or profit in areas that other people can't.

You need to control your major costs, either bring them in house or partner with someone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.