The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Free Giveaway] The Miracle Morning, by Hal Elrod

For any book discussion

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congrats to @Red! You win April's giveaway the Miracle Morning. Ill give it to you the next time I see you.

Hope you enjoy it and get a raw taste of 4AM. :p

========

The May giveaway is Jaime Tardy's The Eventual Millionaire.
The June giveaway is That One Thing by Gary Keller.

Giveaways are conducted on the INSIDE unless there are more than 2 to giveaway, then they may come out to the public side.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Sweet! Thanks! :)

Hobo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 30, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Back in '09 I hiked the Appalachian Trail. For 3 months, I would wake up and hike up and down mountains before most people were having their coffee.

RobP

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 10, 2014
Raleigh, NC
I just heard of this book and Hal Elrod today when he was on a podcast I subscribe to.
I was really impressed with the guy and his story. His idea is a good one: combine all the different things the gurus recommend and do them all instead of just one or two and get them out of way first thing in the morning. It immediately made me think of James Altucher's "Daily Practice" that he swears by as well as one of Brian Tracy's favorite sayings, "The first hour is the rudder of the day".

If you have a kindle and a Prime account, you can borrow the book for free from Amazon.

Last edited:

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
I've had this book - or rather the method espoused by Elrod - recommended to me by @AnneC and @FionaS

I actually bought the "Journal" first and haven't read the book yet - it's on its way to me.

Just ramping up this week after a weak start last week.

I think it's the structure I've been looking for for years.

I like the life S.A.V.E.R.S. breakdown, it's simple, adaptable and effective.

And doing it before the start of the day "proper" is GREAT as there was previously nothing I did at that time of day, it's not so hard to make that hour "sacred" and free of distractions.

I too was never a morning person. Of course it's easier to get up early at this time of year in the Northern Hemisphere, just after the birds, so a good time to start establishing the habit.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Yay! If you need some accountability, let me know, I'd be happy to help you out.

I'm on day 12, waking up at 4:30 every morning and getting my SAVERS done first thing... I'm done before 6, which is still 2 hours earlier than I was waking up before!

For anyone still on the fence, I highly suggest trying out the book or even just looking up the methodology online and trying it out! It's been a life changer for me.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
What about the actual time you sleep? I want to be able to sleep for 4 hours and be ready to go again. I'm jelly of people that can. Just imagine how much you can get done in a 20 hour day.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
What about the actual time you sleep? I want to be able to sleep for 4 hours and be ready to go again. I'm jelly of people that can. Just imagine how much you can get done in a 20 hour day.

I personally go to sleep usually around 11... waking up at 4:30 makes for about 5 1/2 hours. I'm getting a lot less sleep than I was before (9 hours or so), but still feel pretty good during the day. Especially once I drink my bulletproof coffee, I'm wide awake all day long. I think 5 1/2 hours is pushing it for me, personally, though. Any less, and I feel groggy all day. I'd probably feel a little better with a little bit more sleep time, or perhaps a short nap at around 2.

It's worth experimenting with. Different people function differently on different levels of sleep. You don't really know unless you test it for yourself.

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
I'm still getting 7-8 hours at the moment.

I think I may experiment with it a bit when I've got the Miracle Morning habit firmly established - one habit at a time!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

JustKris

Writing and talking, basically.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Oct 16, 2012
In the mountains
I've been doing The Miracle Morning for a couple of weeks now. Holy crap. It's incredible.

I'm getting up at 5-6am every day, even weekends. I love the quiet in the mornings. It sets such a perfect tone for the rest of the day. All the things that I wished I could do "with more time" (which is such a BS excuse) get done.

I've always been a late night person, but now I find myself looking FORWARD to getting up early and doing the routine. I've even started little Miracle Afternoon sessions to keep the mojo flowing.

MJ, I owe you a steak the next time I'm in AZ.

Phenom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
I agree. This is one of a few books that "springed" me into action RIGHT AWAY and I'm not sure if it's because I was mentally ready, the book or all the inspiring reads. I guess it's a combination of it all. Right after I heard about this book from MJ's thread (this one), I bought the e-book and read it the same day and applied it the following morning and haven't stopped since. My daily routine consist of 1 hour workout at the gym at 6am (because it's open at that time) and 30 minutes of prepping for business stuff.

I'm on my 119th day (about 3.5 months) of MM and what a life changer (I track and write in my journal everyday). I lost 13 lbs but more importantly dropped my body fat level and gained muscle. So the 13 lbs lost can be more! My back pain is gone because my core is so much stronger. So BIG thank you to @MJ DeMarco for introducing this book! How's your MM going? Cheers!

RATM

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2014
In High School, I would wake up at 5:30 AM every morning to meditate for 30 minutes. I would then make myself breakfast, prepare lunch, and write 750 words concerning no particular topic in order to get the wheels in my head spinning. I did this for about 200 days straight until I got a job that interfered with waking up that early and getting sufficient sleep.

In Middle School, I would wake up at 6:00 AM to go to a spin class at my gym. I lost 30 pounds of fat by combining this with a reduced carb diet at the age of 13.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
**Oops didn't see giveaway was in March

I don't want to be qualified for the book since I think someone else will get more value out of it than I will. I have no problems getting up in the mornings anymore(5:30am) and here's why:

I set the alarm-clock far away so I absolutely have to get up. Just getting out of bed is half the battle. Then the first thing I do in the day is something that I look forward to. For me it's going to the gym and hiking. I alternate them every other day. It's very enjoyable to go outside and be awake before 99% of people. The world seems very calm and it kinda makes you feel like a badass. Coffee certainly helps as well.

So my advice to anyone who isn't a morning person is to just set the alarm far off from the bed, and to do something you enjoy first thing in the morning.

The days seriously feel so much longer.

Also, I go to bed in the 10:30 to 12:00 range. Usually 11ish. I might start getting up even earlier because Phoenix traffic is pretty intense by the time I'm finished at the gym.

Last edited:
D

Deleted20833

"Follow the damn game plan...don't argue, don't try to find a loophole...FOLLOW.THE.DAMN.GAME PLAN"
Pretty much sums up why most people
never succeed, they read millionaire fastlane
and then don't follow the damn game plan
and wonder why they're aren't making it

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
I'm going to read this book either way. I have become a father at 2:30 am. Longest day and a half of my life (went in to be induced on Friday and he didn't arrive til almost 3 am on Sunday and went straight to ICU) but the moment that man came out (and I just tucked him in bed which I don't get to do every night due to the shittiness of divorce) lights up my heart and soul even 8 years later. I will never forget him holding my finger at 4 am when I was dead tired for the first time and promising him that I would never let him down - that was an experience that you can't paint a picture of or express in words. I knew in that moment what unconditional love felt like.

I get up most mornings to either read/study/ or go to the gym = around 5:50am. So doing that prior to even 6 am isn't that big of a deal. I've even tried to work on businesses that early before going to my day job. Whatever it takes right?

I pray every single morning before this time and do my incantations.

Recently though was an amazing experience that actually ended at 4am, but we stayed awake due to the exhileration of it the adventure. Certainly most of my excursions that ended at that time included booz and women but not this time.

Something I've always been into was the paranormal and all that revolves around this. I've been a horror movie addict since like age 8 (yea told mom and dad that we should not have watched those movies).

I'm also a very spiritual person and have a strong faith so this was a unique experience for me that challenged many beliefs and teachings.

However, I do believe in miracles and things that can't be explained by logic - because hell we all want to believe in something right?

So recently I drove 3 hours one way to visit a sanatorium and did an overnight ghost investigation. We woke up after a nap and made the hike to an overwhelming place that was the house to thousands of deaths.

The crazy part was that this place once sat alone to not infect healthy folks and now resides tucked away in a very robust city. You wouldn't even know the place was there unless you literally drive up on it - and it is one of the most beautifully designed places and amazingly large buildings I've ever encountered. As soon as you stare up at it your breath is taken away.

It was the most alive I've felt in a long time. It has been a great topic of conversation over the past few weeks and I've spent a lot of time retelling the things that we saw, heard, etc.

As we drove home in the wee hours of the morning exhausted, it made me realize that life is precious and we must not take it for granted. It also made me realize there just are things that happen that we can't rationalize nor explain.

Either way wanted to share as I saw MJ post this on FB tonight and am excited to check out the book.

Joe

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
The absolute best advise I've received about success, is to surround myself with the right company. I did this by either:

1.) Only spending time with inspiring or productive friends
2.) When not with inspiring friends, feel comfortable to just read good books, watch movie by myself.

Alone time, contrary to popular belief is not harmful at all. In fact, it's in those alone times when great ideas emerge, and strong questions about what one should do in life are given time and forced to be answered. Too many people don't have a mind of their own, and don't have belief in their own convictions. Rather, they follow what other people do, and make their surroundings a clutch for their own mindset.

The entrepreneurial journey requires one to take care of one's mind more than anything else. If one's mind is good, he or she can think right, make the right decisions and take the right actions. These are traits of the self-earned successful.

Best thing I've done before 8AM is meditation.

Meditation is far from a religious activity. Those who try it will realize how noisy their minds are with incessant gibberish that don't contribute to success. The purpose of meditation is to make one realize that, and condition oneself to have more clarity. How to have more clarity? Meditate. Just sit down, fully relax and have no thoughts. If you can't keep your mind quiet, focus on your breathing. Constantly pull your attention back to breathing/know that in that present you are completely safe and fine. You are sitting, there is no past or future, in that present nothing harms you other than what your brain tells you. If one can meditate for 10 minutes a day in the morning after waking up or at night before sleep - or even both times, he or she will gain a lot more clarity and stability in life. If you've been doing this for a long while, you may even realize that without meditation, a lot of times the day would just not turn out as good as if you would meditate. Hugh Jackman meditates every day, and calls it being bathed in the presence of God. He doesn't mean it in the religious sense. Meditation allows one to be very connected to life.

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
I'm gonna grab this book.

Although, like someone else said, I have ZERO desire to get up earlier. I'm annoyed that I get up at 8:30. My problem with getting up earlier is that means I would need to go to bed earlier. I love my late nights. I get energy at night and get work done at night.

I self diagnosed myself (I like to play doctor) with delayed sleep phase syndrome. My sleeping has been messed up for almost 20 years now. I can never seem to get it on a "normal" schedule. Sometimes I'll go a day or two with going to bed at a decent time, but then it gets all screwed up again.

With that being said, part of me is curious to challenge myself and see if I can do the early morning thing. Although again, I love my late nights. So it doesn't really bother me.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I'm glad someone else won the book, I hope it's helpful for you, I'm going to go buy it right now!

I remember when I first started my journey my mentor took me with him to a conference (like no other!) in Atlanta. I had always been an avid reader but I was having a hard time deviating from fiction to self improvement and business, mainly because I had lost my passion for reading during the college years that beat dreams out of dreamers to fit them into a box. During a break I signed up to win a kindle, because hey that would be neat right? (it was when they first came out) and I WON but I had no idea the value I had really won. It came loaded with 50 self help, improvement, and business books right off the bat. I knew that this was my time to really begin being a better person. It was one of the tools that literally changed my life.

Now I can't bring myself to even browse the fiction section at B&N or in ibooks. It's just loaded with a bunch of time sucking words with little to no value to my life. I read, I read a lot, and it's always something that pushes me forward.

To the person who won, I hope this book can start you on that same path if you're not already there!

Best thing before 8am:

1) When we were working on rebuilding the business from scratch there were many, many 3am and 4 am and 5 am mornings where we got ready, piled into one of our cars and drove a few hours to meet with prospects and business owners. Guess what? I no longer have to get up at 4 or 5 am...unless I want to.
- Me being a self proclaimed and adamant night person this went against my grain

2) A few years ago we were wanting to add a new stream of income to the business and we had a valuable connection in TX who was already doing something similar and invited us to come visit for a few days to learn. So I got up once again at 3am. Made our plane, landed in TX and after a quick breakfast the flood of information began. Armed with a tape recorder, legal pad/pen, and my camera I drank as much as I could from this firehose of knowledge, barely able to comprehend what I was taking, that was for later. In less than 48 hours I had successfully copied, noted, and listened to every aspect of this multimillion dollar operation and drew up a business plan for when we landed back in NC. We landed a few days later, I slept, woke up at 7am and started building the new part of our business based on just 48 hours of knowledge. Worth It.

Best Business Advice:

1) If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten
2) To live like others CAN'T you have to do what others WON'T
3) You either succeed or you fail LEARN

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
1) Post the most incredible thing you've done before 8AM

I finished college before 8am - over the course of 2.5 years. I have been getting up around 4am for quite some time, and I could not have finished college, started a business, or gotten anything done since having kids without dragging it out of bed about 6 days a week for the last 4 years. I plan on doing it forever. There is no better feeling than watching the sun come op after already "eating the frog".

2) Post the best business advice you ever received, heard, or learned.

"following your passion is bullshit" - this was a huge shift for me. So simple, yet profoundly different.

I'd say TMF as a whole was the best business advice I have ever received, but that would just sound like a$$-kissing....

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks to MJ's post I bought the book and I finished reading it 4 days ago. I started reading it late at night and couldn't put it down.

This book is incredible. I just finished up day 2 of applying the content. So far this morning I have: meditated, wrote in my journal, did affirmations and visualization, read 10 pages of a book and am off to the gym. Getting this stuff all done in 2 hours.

Buy the book read and apply, apply, apply. This shit works!

"Mastery isn't a natural gift, it is a daily devotion" - Robin Sharma

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I can never reccomend this book enough. Glad to see it as a free giveaway.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Great book!! Bought it yesterday... thanks MJ for the review!
Im feeling great today:)

Last edited:

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
**Oops didn't see giveaway was in March

I don't want to be qualified for the book since I think someone else will get more value out of it than I will. I have no problems getting up in the mornings anymore(5:30am) and here's why:

I set the alarm-clock far away so I absolutely have to get up. Just getting out of bed is half the battle. Then the first thing I do in the day is something that I look forward to. For me it's going to the gym and hiking. I alternate them every other day. It's very enjoyable to go outside and be awake before 99% of people. The world seems very calm and it kinda makes you feel like a badass. Coffee certainly helps as well.

So my advice to anyone who isn't a morning person is to just set the alarm far off from the bed, and to do something you enjoy first thing in the morning.

The days seriously feel so much longer.

Also, I go to bed in the 10:30 to 12:00 range. Usually 11ish. I might start getting up even earlier because Phoenix traffic is pretty intense by the time I'm finished at the gym.
I too was always telling myself "I'm not a morning person" but reading this book has defiantly changed that. I aim for 5.30 and have been doing well for the past 6 weeks, with the occasional slip and sleep until 6.00. I will move alarm clock today as recommended in book. to make sure I do 5.30. Walking the dog at that time, as you say, is great - You see way more wildlife and it's so quite :). Now the dog is walked for an hour, I've meditated, checked emails, had coffee and breakfast and all before my previous time of getting up.

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
I implore anyone who is fighting laziness to give the MM a try. I notice the days in which I do the MM, my days are far more productive and laziness is not an issue. When I stay up late (usually to write) and sleep in, the next day becomes a crap shoot in terms of productivity.

Sounds EXACTLY like me.

I was just this morning noticing how far I've come.
I've in the middle of my week 14 of MM (though some weeks, like my vacation week and the week after I did almost none of it).

It really is the structure I needed to focus on my life.

An example which would sound trivial on its own - I pay FAR more attention to creating, updating and executing daily "To Do" lists than in my pre-MM days - I'm actually making progress and tracking it.

Something I love - if I want to add a new tiny habit then I just add it to the MM routine, it's easy now because there's already a structure to add it to. In the past I would have forgotten after a few days.

Many of us say this, but I reiterate to the doubters - I was NEVER a morning person, but I have got into the habit and it's great.

(Thanks to MJ, and @AnneC and @FionaS for being enthusiastic about it!)

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
MJ....Thanks a million for the review. I might have never stumbled across it,had it not been mentioned here. I am currently reading and absorbing the life changing content. Puts life's real problems into perspective let me tell you!!!!!

Jinxus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 23, 2013
NYC
Finished reading it yesterday.

Wow, I have a lot of work ahead. I woke up an hour earlier this morning, and my mindset was just so negative. Went to sleep last night with a positive attitude, woke up this morning with affirmations and gratefulness, but still feeling groggy, grumpy, and negative. It'll take some time.

decaobr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 25, 2013
Just finish reading the book, honestly my "bullshit alert" have being on sometimes during the book, but i'm gonna give a try, and i'm starting to apply what a learn right now ( as i'm going to bed after finishing writing this ), have anyone manage to do this for more than the initial first weeks?

I can let you know in 30 days. I just started today
Did you finish the 30 days, how did it go? Are you still doing it?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.